Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Who's upgraded their stem & handlebar on a Trance

I've been toying with the idea. 2012 trance x 2 medium came with a

90mm stem @ 8 degree

and a 670mm wide handlebar w/ 25mm rise

for those that have upgraded what did you go with? and how does it feel?

i was thinking of going with 70mm stem and getting a 700mm wide bar

basically want something thats a little more stable for going downhill but that wont kill me going back up. dont want to have the front end too light.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My 11 trance came with a 70 mm stem, which I think is about perfect for the bike. I put on a Shimano pro series Atherton bar cut to 720 mm which I love on this bike. It's the widest bar I can realistically get away with on my local trails. I used that bar because I wanted a wider than stock one, and had that one laying around.

mtbr member
    weird that mine came w/ a 90 then. what rise on the stem and bars do you have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My Trance is a small. I test rode the medium, and it did have a longer stem on it. The stem has an 8 degree rise, and I beleive the bars have a 20mm rise

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I went from the same stock setup as you to a 70mm with a 710 bar. Front position remained more or less the same. I tried it with this same bar and a 60mm stem and it was way too short

mtbr member
    hows it ride w/ 70mm stem and 710 bars? what kind of rise?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Dunno what the rise of the stem is, fairly certain it's a 0 degree.

It rides great. Because the reach is pretty close to exactly the same as the stick setup there wasn't much of an adjustment at all, it just felt really solid and controlled though rough stuff and feels really easy to lean into turns. Other than just feeling generally "better" it doesn't ride much different and I don't feel there was any tradeoff other than tree clearance, which is manageable.

mtbr member
    awesome thanks for reply. do you find your front end popping up during climbs? or is it manageable? i have some really steep hills by me and would hate to sacrifice climbing.

what bar and stem did you go with if you dont mind me asking? thanks! repped

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The bars are RaceFace Atlas FR bars, which I like just because it's a company I'm fond of and the glossy white finish is fantastic. The stem is some Kona thing the LBS had in stock.

I haven't noticed any issues with the front wheel popping up because like I said the reach is the same so your riding position isn't any further back, which I *think* means it shouldn't make a difference. Either way it hasn't been an issue at all

mtbr member
    thanks. do i need to be concerned with the stems stack height? any idea what the stock one is? im not at home right now to measure

mtbr member
    I just upgraded to crank brothers 90mm stem and iodine 11 680mm bar. Love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    All of the Trance's I've seen had a LOT of room to play with the stack height. This is pretty subjective from rider to rider. Just move the spacers around until it feels natural. Brand new I felt like my bars were too high, did some shifting around of the spacers, now it feels like how I imagine a bike should.

mtbr member
    so i upgraded to a 70mm stem and 711 bar

1 question i have is about the stem cap or top cap as they call it. im reusing the giant one and it sticks out about 1mm over the stem. is that ok or should i get a new top cap? or do i need a new headset?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    are you sure the top cap is sticking out? it may be 1mm of your fork's steerer tube exposed if the stem cap is tightened down.

i had a similar situation. i went to a 65mm sunline v1 stem and the stack height was shorter than the stock giant stem. i swapped out a 5mm spacer for a 10mm and problem solved. you might need a spacer. if you lift the bike by the top tube do you notice any wiggle or knocking around the head tube?

btw i also went with 750mm funn fatboy bars in a 30mm rise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollar1211 View Post
    are you sure the top cap is sticking out? it may be 1mm of your fork's steerer tube exposed if the stem cap is tightened down.

i had a similar situation. i went to a 65mm sunline v1 stem and the stack height was shorter than the stock giant stem. i swapped out a 5mm spacer for a 10mm and problem solved. you might need a spacer. if you lift the bike by the top tube do you notice any wiggle or knocking around the head tube?

btw i also went with 750mm funn fatboy bars in a 30mm rise.
    sorry i think you misunderstood what i was trying to say.

the top caps diameter on the stem is poking out by a mm. see the pics i attached. is that a problem?

the circumference of it appears to be bigger than the stems circumference

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    oh, gotcha. nope, shouldn't be a problem.

mtbr member
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011

Azonic World Force 1 inch

Has anyone upgraded their stock giant trance x2's handlebar with Azonic's WF? or anything similar?
    Carlos Rodriguez - Dirt is fun!

mtbr member
    azonic barreta stem 45mm

sunline v1 745mm handlebar.

climbs steeps like ****, bombs descents like a champ!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's upgraded their stem & handlebar on a Trance-trance5.jpg  

mtbr member
    I bought a used Giant contact bar, 19mm rise 690 wide. Great feeling bar and pretty light for the price, even buying new. Like it better than a 685 monkey lite that I have. Big improvement over the stock 670mm.
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

KC Weekend Warrior
    I upgraded the bars: wider and taller, I am thinking on shortening the stem for better control. Put some "Monkey Bars" on it. 2012 Trance X1
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    65mm sunline v1 stem with funn fatboy 750mm 30mm rise here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    700mm Crankbrothers Cobalt 2 bars and Giant 70mm Contact alloy stem. Changed from carbon 690mm wide SLR bars and 110mm SLR stem.

The OD2 really limits my choice of stems
    Giant XTC 1, XT, XTR
    Giant Trance X SL 0, XTR

gravity fighter
    I went with a 690mm El Norte and a 70mm 8 deg stem. My shoulders are still getting used to the new position (a little sore) but I like the control of the wider bar. The front end is a little more twitchy on climbs, but not enough to make me want to go back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My 2011 XL Trance X4 came with a 110mm at 8* and I swapped it out for Loaded x-lite 90mm at 5* and the amxc 710mm bars
    The wider bars have made it way more comfortable for me but there are now 3 spots that I have to come to a complete stop to clear a skinny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast