mtbr member

Who's happy with a 90mm stem/ Med Reign?

This was my original setup and have changed to a 70mm Atlas...At first, I thought it was too tight, but continued to ride it with the expectation that I'd "come around." Kinda like clipless. I admit, I hated them at first, but now I can't live without them.

Anyway. The 70mm felt tight at first, then it got better. I can climb everything I did with my 90mm but I'm now getting a stiff lower back and numbness in the hands.

Weird.

I'm wondering if this is contributed to a poor fit? I'm 5'10" and have always ridden a medium frame. That's not the issue.

Seems like most guys are getting shorter and shorter with their stems.

I've played around with the seat a bit and it's now more aft. Which changes everything. The fit is better, but the weight is totally distributed on the back and the fork washes much easier on the corners.

I admit though, the 70 works way better in AZ on technical descents...I'm thinking about going back to 90mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am also 5"10" and the Reign is .5" shorter TT than my last bike. It does have an offset/layback post. I find the stock cockpit short. I changed the board Devo for a WTB Pure and that helps so I can ride on the back of the saddle for spinning sections.

I find my stock RF stem and bars to be less than confidence inspiring. I will probably change it out for something else in the same size.

If I only went down I would go shorter, but I go up / down / flat and need to pedal.

Rob

Slower But Faster
    I ride a medium Reign with a zero set back seat post (Gravity Dropper) and a 75mm stem (DMR Conrod) and find it just right, still climbs OK but wouldn't want to go much shorter and way better on the flats and downs, but I have a short torso relative to my height (5'10"/1.78m)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    huh, i've never heard of somebody having MORE difficulty cornering with a shorter stem, especially not because its giving them a more rearward bias. Don't get me wrong, I can see why its happening, but its just mostly a technique thing. Try getting further over the front end in corners - not necessarily doing a handstand or trying to get ALL of your weight over the front, but really lean your weight into your arms. Should make things a bit easier.

On the other hand its about whats fun and comfortable, and a 70mm stem doesn't sound fun or comfortable if the fit is way off.

mtbr member
    maybe try lowering the bars to get a bit more forward weight bias back?
    if you have spacers under your stem, try removing some and see if that helps.