Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Who makes a 30.8 setback seatpost?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  BikeSATORI 
#1 ·
I would like to get a 30.8 setback seatpost for my NRS but it cannot find any. I don't want to get the 30.9 because I just called Giant customer service and they informed me that although the 30.9 will go in, it is not recommended for the seat tube as it might cause damage in the long run. I was thinking about the 30.8 thomson zero offset seatpost but I am 5'9" on a 16.5 inch NRS and thus, would like to have the setback for more room. Please advise and thanks!

#6 ·
How's the 30.9 fit?

DiRt DeViL said:
Thomson makes 30.8 and 30.9 and both will work without the shim. Don't look any further get the best post in the industry and enjoy the ride.

I have the 30.9 w setback on my VT and works fine.
Thanks for everyone's reply.

Dirt Devil, how was the fit of the 30.9 on your seat tube, "snug" or "went in with ease". I asksed because I have gone through many of the old discussions and the response was either poistive or "the 30.9 post would fit but it requires twisting for it to go in". I am a little worry because I have called Giant Service and they told me that 30.9 would go it but it is not advised as it might over stretch the seat tube and damage it in the long run. Please advise. Thanks.

#7 ·
Snug will be a good adjetive for how it fits, mine went in without much "twisting".

That topic has been beaten to death here but kinda remained in the air. At that time James@Giant posted and if not mistaken he said that a 30.9 will not void any warranties, James is no longer with Giant so is up to each of us to believe what he said or not.

If you want to go in the safe side order a Thomson 30.8 and ride the heck out of the bike and rest assured that your frame will be warrantied.

#8 ·
pcheninhk said:
Thanks for everyone's reply.

Dirt Devil, how was the fit of the 30.9 on your seat tube, "snug" or "went in with ease". I asksed because I have gone through many of the old discussions and the response was either poistive or "the 30.9 post would fit but it requires twisting for it to go in". I am a little worry because I have called Giant Service and they told me that 30.9 would go it but it is not advised as it might over stretch the seat tube and damage it in the long run. Please advise. Thanks.
Definitely "snug" is the right term. But with anything that is tight in life, add a little lube and you are all set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.