mtbr member

Whos gone from a Reign or Trance to a Trance X 29er?

Im curious to hear the feedback from someone who went from a either a Trance X 26er or a Reign to a Trance X 29er. I already have a 100mm full suspension 29er but I want a beefier trail bike. I just sold a reign to get a 2013 Reign but I want to do my homework to make sure I get the right bike. I want an aggressive trail bike thats a good all-arounder but Im focused on descending. I live for downhills and I want a bike that burly and fun on descents.

If you went to a TX29 was it agile enough to be as fun as a Reign or TX?

see me rollin, they hatin
    i rode a 26er trance briefly. Also a BMC speefox which is fairly similiar. On both bikes, i prefer 140mm of travel. not because i'm some mean hucker, but mostly because i like how it pushes the front end upwards a bit.

Now i have the Trance X29. if you're looking for something that feels sturdy and safe on downhills, this is the bike to get! if you get the X0, you can take advantage of the dropper as well. i already used it a few times on some sketchy descents. Like any big wheeler, you have to get used to the awkward wider turning but that just comes with the territory. Then again, my speedfox with the 140mm fork (which slackened the bike) wasnt the most nimble steerer either, niether would the Reign i'd imagine. However, from people who've ridden other 29ers, and hated the handling, admitted the Trance handles better than any other big wheeler

i've heard some complaints about the Anthem 29 being long and sled-like. My bf who is a Trance 26 fan, said the anthem felt like a pig compared to the new Trance 29. I think you'll really like it.

interestingly enough, on my last ride, i nearly used ALL of my front and rear suspension. I went from 140 to 120, but dont miss that extra travel with the bigger wheels. i actually rode some stuff that i probably wouldnt have tried on my old bike.

another thing i noticed, and maybe i just need to add a bit more air in the shock, but the BB feels lower than my other bikes, and i've had a bit more pedal strikes than usual.
    fap

mtbr member
    I demoed a trance x1 29er, it's a nice trail bike, but not an aggressive all mountain bike. Maybe cause my main bike is a Reign X and I rode it down some steep tech. stuff. It would do fine, I'd just have to slow down a little.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I've spent several years on the Trance X 26, and have been riding the Trance X 29 for 3 months now. I also spent a season on a Reign too. Actually, I've ridden pretty much all of the Giants? Anyway. It's not straight forward to compare the Reign to the Trance X 29. They behave so similarly that the difference becomes whether you prefer big wheels or little wheels. Personally, I enjoy both, and keep both in my stable.

The TX29 undoubtably feels more stable while charging fast descents. Undulations in the trail are minimized, and feedback to the bike is desensitized. On familiar rough descents the TX29 feels like it's "cheating," and I say that with much disdain for the cliche one-liner, but it's the only expression that fits the bill. The Reign on the otherhand still has an agile nature that the TX29 simply doesn't match when things are tight and direction changes are quick and plentyful. It's playful, and precise, and in the right hands, just as fast on descents. It really becomes a decision of personal preference for wheelsize more than anything.

I'd have to disagree heavily with the comment that the TX29 is not an aggressive all mountain bike, seeing that it's been winning Enduro races under Adam Craig since it's release, and also proved to be very capable under an average joe like myself at an Enduro in New England last weekend. (top ten result in pro men) I haven't encountered an instance yet where I felt the bike prohibited me from riding a secton that a Reign X would have otherwise permitted.

see me rollin, they hatin
    yes, the trance wants to take turns...a bit wide? i have super tight trails around here, and i find i have to pay attention to my cornering as to not veer off. Again, thats just a 29er thing.
    fap

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've only demod a trance 29 so i cant compare a reign with it. The question that was constantly going through my head as i rode it was: what if it had a bit more travel and not whether it was agile enough. Its agile, its not a 26, but its better than the anthem x which i thought did the job, but was dull handling wise. I briefly rode a stumpy fsr and just jumping up and down on it had me grinning that bit more with just that bit extra travel.