Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Where can I find an Advanced Anthem SX M or L (2015)

I live in BC and have been trying to track down one of these without success... I want this bike.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    M or L. You either one or the other. Don t compromise on size just because you can find another size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well I have dilemma... I'm somewhat of an in between size. I usually ride M, but some people feel I should be on a Large. I'm 5'11 but have slightly shorter legs than average for my height... Ideally I think I'd be suited to a 19" frame, but Giant only does 18" and 20" ... Bike size calculators but me somewhere in between M and L ... So what are the pro's and con's of going larger or smaller?

mtbr member
    yup your right on the line, as am I. I ride a medium, but I like a smaller flickyer bike. We have a Medium on our shop floor in Massachusetts

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Heh, well I'm on the west coast of Canada... It'd probably cost A LOT to get that here.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I ma 5'8 and ride a L Trance(larger than a L anthem). A smaller bike is not necessary more nimble and forces you to run a long stem, move the seat back on its rails, and there for will be easier to endo, harder to pump, and hard to climb because you weight be further back. Instead of between the wheels.

these are trances, but Anthems have slightly shorter TT and reach...

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...76&oe=56CE36BB " width="549">

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...dc&oe=56B99843 " width="549">

a M is tiny and easily fits my 5'5 wife.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c8&oe=56BF46C9 " width="549">

size up and shorten the stem as needed. At 5'11 IMO you are borderline XL......and Giant should make a XXL for larger folks than you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So why do all bike calculators suggest a Medium or Large for me? I heard the length difference of the Giant M and L is very miniscule... and my legs are 32" for a 5'11...

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_uplo...frame_size.pdf

According to this I should be medium... yet so any say go Large.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    So why do all bike calculators suggest a Medium or Large for me? I heard the length difference of the Giant M and L is very miniscule... and my legs are 32" for a 5'11...

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_uplo...frame_size.pdf

According to this I should be medium... yet so any say go Large.
    Giant is wrong. the very fact that length the stem as the bikes get bigger proves they are wrong.

The L will not work with a stock stem, but once you shorten stem it will be far better than the M. It will actually feel more nimble since you will be right in between the tires. I have Size M and a Size L Trance here and can show you its actually quite different in the overall fit. They are set up almost identically to fit but on different sized frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sounds logical, but can I also get a support opinion from some one else too? If I am going to make the switch to large.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    With the SX model you want to move your seat forward to get under the BB. So you defiantly want to size up. Then adjust your stem size for reach.

I have the ADV SX model and from first hand experience the 120mm fork does effect where you are over the BB.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Would the same go for sizing in a trance?

Also, I can't by anything brand new from the states due to the Canadian dollar... unless it was a crazy sale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree with the others, most likely you'll fit best on a Large.
    If you have short legs for your height, that implies you have a long torso, which generally means it's better to size up, as long as the ST isn't too long to fit a dropper.
    I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam and on a Med Trance, with stock 70mm stem, and it's definitely not too long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It's more a concern of the bike being too tall; the stack and Standover Height? It's like a 2 inch increase on both from what I'm used to riding, that seems significant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I live in BC and have been trying to track down one of these without success... I want this bike.
    Center Cycle in Renton had these listed at good deal a couple of weeks ago--I'd contact them and see if they can help you out if you can make the drive down.

If I were you I'd definitely go w/the large. I'm 5'9", 32" inseam on a medium, running a 90mm stem right now. I couldn't imagine a taller rider on this bike.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    It's more a concern of the bike being too tall; the stack and Standover Height? It's like a 2 inch increase on both from what I'm used to riding, that seems significant.
    your current bike is to small.

My old M XC bike had sub 23 inch TT and now I have all 24+ TT

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well I went and sat on a Norco Sight Medium and Large at the shop, the medium didn't feel too small and the large felt too tall.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Well I went and sat on a Norco Sight Medium and Large at the shop, the medium didn't feel too small and the large felt too tall.
    with the stock stems......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Too tall how? If the stack height is a concern, many bikes are set up out of the box with the bars fairly high, so flipping the stem and removing spacers should help get the grips near saddle height. Also, different brands and models are lower by design, for example the new Giant Reign, many riders are saying the front end is set up too low for them, so that bike might suit you.

Some brands still size their bikes the "old" way, for a 1" longer TT there is 2" longer ST, so for riders wanting more reach, those bikes just may not fit right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Tall as in I was leaned somewhat forward to reach and sit comfortably and my legs/knees were fully extended while the dropper post was fully up and could not lower the main post.

Trances are longer than Anthems? But are they taller or shorter?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tall as in I was leaned somewhat forward to reach and sit comfortably and my legs/knees were fully extended while the dropper post was fully up and could not lower the main post.

Trances are longer than Anthems? But are they taller or shorter?
    Ok, if the ST is too big to work with a dropper, what was the dropper, 100mm or 125mm or 150mm? One option is a shorter dropper on the same size frame. Other option is find a bike/frame that gives you enough reach with a smaller ST.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So going from a Giant Talon M 18" to an Anthem SX, I should strongly consider going for a Large with a shorter stem vs the Medium with a stock stem? Even though the medium doesn't feel to cramped or small? The advantage of a longer, taller bike will be better for XC riding? climbing and downhill?

mtbr member
    The Truth will set you free.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Those are SX, not Advanced SX

mtbr member
    BTW, I used to ride a Trance and I'm 6' with a 33" inseam. One of the best fitting bikes I've ever owned.
    The Truth will set you free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast