Scott is a tool.

When is a frame too old to throw money at?

Yes, a very subjective question.

Buuuuut.... my 08 Trance is in the twilight zone, sans stupid teenage vampires. My fork is shot, my shock is shot, but most everything else is not too bad really. It still rides well, even with failing suspension gear.

What do people think? Should I just pony up for a new steed? FYI, I would be putting an RS Sektor and Monarch on the frame.

Cheers.

bi-winning
    What do you mean by "shot?" Is it a problem new seals and fluid can't fix?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    What do you mean by "shot?" Is it a problem new seals and fluid can't fix?
    Hey.

The fork is a pike and the compression unit is broken. Most of the seals are due to be replaced and it is just old and heavy.

The shock would be in need of a full tear down and rebuild.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog View Post
    The shock would be in need of a full tear down and rebuild.
    That can be done in 10 minutes.

Float RP23 Rebuild - YouTube

With a $14 seal kit.

Fox Shox Float Air Sleeve Kit at JensonUSA.com
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Scott is a tool.
    Thanks for that, does get much more expensive when you factor getting the kit to Australia.

I'm just leaning towards taking the opportunity to upgrade to something more current.

aw fiddlestix
    What would you get that's more "current?"
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by laxman2001 View Post
    What would you get that's more "current?"
    Would be looking at a monarch.

May contain nuts
    O-rings for Pike might set you back $15, seals & wiper kit $50, oil $20. Very easy fork to work on.

Can't help with the upgraditis sorry.

Scott is a tool.
    Haha, can't argue with the crowd can I?

I still think I'll replace the pike as it also has a creaky crown and the compression unit is actually cracked, so it won't just be seals. I will try and resurrect the rp2 though.

Cheers people.

MTB B'dos
    Dude, come on, just say you've had the bike a while and are having a case of upgraditis, be honest As the others have said, servicing an RS fork is easy as hell and not expensive once you have some patience, but we know you really don't want to go that route, but want a new fork, so YES, that frame is not out-dated, go ahead and get the new fork for it and enjoy. I'd still say to order the parts for the Pike and get it working again and keep it as a backup fork.

Only reason I might change, would be the reason mine is hanging on the wall since '07 and that was to go 29er or some other wheel size, other than that the Maestro suspension is really good and was so from the get go. BTW, the Trance rides really sweet as a 69er and with the 44 HT you can use an external lower cup and run a tapered fork now.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Just Pushed the AVA shock on my 04 NRS, could have been a waste of money but the shock needed a refresh.

I would say that if the bike is over 8 years old upgrading parts instead of replacing what' breaks is a waste of money.

mtbr member
    Drop the denial and embrace the disease! The 2012 Trance is a sweet bike.

Haha, can't argue with the crowd can I?

I still think I'll replace the pike as it also has a creaky crown and the compression unit is actually cracked, so it won't just be seals. I will try and resurrect the rp2 though.

Cheers people.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

Scott is a tool.
    Well thanks for the responses. Not sure if i completely got an answer to my question, but I surely got a free psychoanalysis of my current bike mind.....

Unfortunately being in Aus it isn't as easy to get parts cheaply. The Pike is past it. It has had some very hard years and now to get it back to where it should be really doesn't make financial sense, buying a new fork with a warranty and newer tech does fit the bill though.

In regards to the shock, I really don't know how it will go after a service, but fingers crossed it will be fine. It makes some terrible noises whilst riding now and it's performance hasn't been much good for some time now.

Anyway, yes I have a certain degree of upgraditis, but that was never in question. Really just wanted to canvas opinions on whether or not an 08 frame is too old to put more money into as I really don't know what the current offerings are bring to the table that my frame doesn't. I like the bike, and it really is only these two components holding it back..... and the rider.....

Cheers.

mtbr member
    I dont think it's too old at all. If you like the frame and its still in one piece then why not chuck new bits on it? The only thing is once you start replacing everything you might find it ends up costing more than the new version, but you can upgrade parts too and build it how you want.

mtbr member
    I tend to use my frames almost for a decade. I can't really help myself asking how can someone (excluding professionals which I don't assume to often ask questions like these on forums) consider a three year old bike, old/outdated. Marketing sure is getting way too much in peoples heads.

I won't deny that there are some improvements over the years, but if I upgraded every time there was one I would be throwing money out almost every month. Adding to this, if OP complaints about Australia being a country where prices are steep I can't really understand how such a doubt can arise.

In my honest and humble opinion, a three year old frame is not old. More even, letting a rear shock reach such a state that creates doubts if it is even worth servicing is just careless use of the hardware when rebuild kits cost pennies compared to the overall cost of a RP2 unit. But as I said, this is just my honest and humble opinion. This is based on a single post I read and I can clearly be wrong about my assumptions.

I'm rebuilding my former frame, 11 years old. And never had a single doubt if it was any worth.

Service shock.

Service the bearings, because if you haven't serviced the shock its very easy to assume you haven't serviced the bearings too.

Replaced any if needed.

Check fork hardware and check for play on the whole assembly.

This will bring back the rear to factory spec.

Compared to the whole price of a bike the cost to perform these steps are peanuts.

And replaced the fork if you think it isn't worth. Which can also be easily salvaged but surely needs more work.

Or shell out a thousand bucks or more for a newer Trance.

But ask yourself, do you really need it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    OE SUSPENSION PARTS

you can order the rebuild kit for your shock (and probably your fork as well) from the above. US$15 plus shipping. I just had them send me a couple sets to Singapore, was pretty reasonable.

Scott is a tool.
    The shock was in need of more than an air sleeve service, it needed to be internally rebuilt, which as I'm sure you all know, is not user serviceable. Anyway I got a great deal on an 2011 RP2, so that has solved that problem.

mtbr member
    May I ask how much was the new RP2?

Don't forget to service the shock this time. It will extend its life span. 30h is the recommended but obviously such interval can be adjusted according to usage and care. The interior of the air can says a lot about that.

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by BustedBearing View Post
    May I ask how much was the new RP2?

Don't forget to service the shock this time. It will extend its life span. 30h is the recommended but obviously such interval can be adjusted according to usage and care. The interior of the air can says a lot about that.
    I paid $275 AUD off fleebay. Very happy with the performance upgrade.

Just for the record, I did perform the required air sleeve servicing at the suggested intervals. It's just that this season the damper let go and it's cheaper to buy a shock than get it rebuilt.

MTB B'dos
    That sounds like a good plan and on an old shock like that a smart move, hope you picked it up for a song I think I would like one of those as well for my Trance since I always found the stock FloatR to not be good on flats and a lock-out/Pro Pedal was needed, if i eve r find one cheap I'll get it and for sure then rebuild the Trance to a 69er Glad you're back up and running.
    The shock was in need of more than an air sleeve service, it needed to be internally rebuilt, which as I'm sure you all know, is not user serviceable. Anyway I got a great deal on an 2011 RP2, so that has solved that problem.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You might as well upgrade to what you want. If you buy a new bike, especially just the 2012, how much has changed? You're still going to be stuck with whatever the bike comes spec'd with. I've got an 08 Reign X and while I really 'want' a new bike, I've looked at the new Reign's and the Geo has changed just ever so slightly to the point I'll never notice it. I love the way it rides, so I've dumped close to what I've paid for the bike back into it, and I love the way it rides even more now.

mtbr member
    I paid $275 AUD off fleebay. Very happy with the performance upgrade.

Just for the record, I did perform the required air sleeve servicing at the suggested intervals. It's just that this season the damper let go and it's cheaper to buy a shock than get it rebuilt.
    RP2 vs RP2, got one with BV? From fleebay I would assume it has been previously used. Do you know how much use it has had?

Feral Roadie
    Yes, a very subjective question.

Buuuuut.... my 08 Trance is in the twilight zone, sans stupid teenage vampires. My fork is shot, my shock is shot, but most everything else is not too bad really. It still rides well, even with failing suspension gear.
    I've often wondered if the only real difference between the 08' Trance and the Trance X is the custom shock and a longer fork. Anyway, I think the 08' Trance is a pretty good do most things bike and other than dropping a some weight, there's not much reason to get a new frame.

- Booker C. Bense

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by BustedBearing View Post
    RP2 vs RP2, got one with BV? From fleebay I would assume it has been previously used. Do you know how much use it has had?
    High volume with boost valve. Not used, completely brand new.

I AM I AM
    Obviously you are aware then that you can post your shock and fork to certain bike shops in Aus and pay for them to get serviced, anything from basic to full rebuild (Phantom Cycles and For The Riders...maybe even The Bike Shed Mortdale) if you're not lucky enough to be living near any of those. I I think in WA Carine Cycles maybe does servicing.

I completely get what BustedBearing is saying, however these days it's generally just as cost effective and easier to go out and buy a new component rather than pay as much servicing it.

Geez I picked up a decent looking BMX frame from the rubbish tip, it cost me $200 so far to buy a few parts I needed (already had fork, wheels, seat, seat post and handlebars sitting in the shed mind you!). So really if it wasn't my passion for bikes I wouldn't have bothered, be much better off just buying a $300-$400 new one from the bike shop!

Maybe check out Chain Reaction Cycles for a new fork, saves you money but be aware that if you have to pay to post it back for warranty it's probably $100.

Really though buying a whole new bike works out better if you're going to be happy with the components it comes with, factor in the money you get for selling your old bike and then look at how much it would have cost you just to buy a new shock and fork for that old bike, well the outlay for the new bike doesn't look so bad after that!

I can see the sense in upgrading the whole bike regularly, isn't it a bit like getting rid of an old car before it either starts costing you too much money or becomes next to worthless value wise?