mtbr member
    Jun 2009

wheelset upgrade for my 2011 Anthem X2 29er (Mavic C29ssmax)

Been really digging my '11 Anthem X2 29er i got last fall. I've left it stock, except for getting a riser bar to replace the flat one (man, whose wrists can take that?)

I guess the most obvious upgrade would be the wheelset, right? Has anyone thrown the Mavic C29ssmax 29er Disc set on their Anthem? Any thoughts on what i might save on weight? (i really have no idea what the stock set weighs and it's kinda hard to find out).

i have a chance to get the wheels for 30% off, so i'm hoping people have good things to say...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Very useful thread here on Anthem part weights;

forums.mtbr.com/giant/anthem-x-29er-weight-weenie-stuff-688283.html

I've bought C29ssmax for an 11' Anthem X1 29er, big upgrade from the stock wheelset, tubeless without rim tape and saved lots of rotating weight. They are pretty bomb proof and improved the ride quality massively, highly recommended.

Buy proper TLR tyres however for C29ssmax, I haven't managed to inflate with a floor pump without them.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    I guess the most obvious upgrade would be the wheelset, right? Has anyone thrown the Mavic C29ssmax 29er Disc set on their Anthem? Any thoughts on what i might save on weight? (i really have no idea what the stock set weighs and it's kinda hard to find out).

i have a chance to get the wheels for 30% off, so i'm hoping people have good things to say...
    In the end you'll save between 1-1.5 lbs with that wheel set.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    In my experience, I love Mavic's spokes & rims. They are tough. On the other hand their nylon bushing design in the rear hub requires watching (They have gone to a bearing in 2013). The nylon wears with use and your casette will begin rocking on the axle. It's not a big deal as nylon replacements are available on ebay. If there is more than a nickel's width of casette play, it's time to change the bushing. Mavic uses mineral oil in this hub (Very light). I had great success using Singer sewing machine mineral oil from Wally World. Good luck. J

mtbr member
    Starry - did you get the C29ssmax wheelset yet? If so, what tires are you using and what was the weight savings? I did this with the identical bike and wheelset (Specialized 2.0 Captain 2Bliss in front/WTB Nanoraptor 2.1 (wire bead)), and I'm curious what your results were compared to mine...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey there - i ended up getting the Stan's Arch 29er set - it's on order now.

mtbr member

Results?

Quote Originally Posted by NullAndVoid View Post
    Very useful thread here on Anthem part weights;

forums.mtbr.com/giant/anthem-x-29er-weight-weenie-stuff-688283.html

I've bought C29ssmax for an 11' Anthem X1 29er, big upgrade from the stock wheelset, tubeless without rim tape and saved lots of rotating weight. They are pretty bomb proof and improved the ride quality massively, highly recommended.

Buy proper TLR tyres however for C29ssmax, I haven't managed to inflate with a floor pump without them.
    NullandVoid - any stats on how much weight you saved with the C29ssmax vs the stock wheelset?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A lot of my rides have flint/blackthorns so was running all mountain tyres to try and avoid punctures. Tubeless don't worry about it now so can run light XC tyres, so factoring that in;

- 400g wheel set
    - 360g tubes
    - 500g lighter tyres
    +200g sealant

So give or take 1060g rotating weight saving over the stock P XC2's with tubes/all mountain tyres.

More importantly went from having a puncture every 3rd ride to no punctures .