mtbr member

Whats your suspension setup on your Reign???

Im interested in how different people set up there their Reigns suspension for different situations. Im also wondering what shocks and forks people have on their Reigns and how they perform? Ive been mucking about with the suspension since I got my Reign 3 months ago and through lots of trial and error I have it working for me ok. It would be great if Giant included a table of ballpark set up for different riders weights cause its its a pretty fiddley setting the suspension up with so many adjustments, information spread through 3 manuals and a couple of web sights. I weigh about 105 kg (230 pounds apron) and use my Reign for rough trail riding but no hucking.

This is my set up and hopefully it will get someone else into the ball park and out on the trail ....

In the rear shock Im currently running about 195 psi in the main and 115 psi in the spv. Im running a Nixon Platinum fork with 120 psi in the air spring and 70 psi in the spv. This has both ends with slightly more sag than 25%. I have the volume set 4 full turns in to try and counteract the Nixon diving. At this setting both ends react about the same to small and medium hits. On big hits the fork tends to dive through its travel but I have never felt it bottom out though sometimes I get a fright on steep hills.

The only definite recommendation in the manual is the magic 25% sag... At 25% sag the suspension seems to do what giant claims which is peddle well and react to a wide range of bumps on or off the brakes. It seems to be a very narrow range of set up that gives a fairly neutral suspension action. At 20% sag the suspension doesn't react as well to small and medium hits when peddling . At 35% sag my bike wallows a bit. Ive also noticed that I dont need to run much spv for the bike to peddle effectively. Unlike my last bike (giant vt 2) the suspension doesn't rely on spv to do its job. Im running slightly more sag because to me the rear suspension seems a bit hash and disconnected from the trail.

Any one interested in info or stating views about Giant Maestro bikes might like to check out www.suspensionmadeharmonious.com/forums Which is a forum site for owners of Giant maestro bikes. You can even post a pic of your own Maestro bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good post,I am also looking for info on this.I got an 06 R2 with an RP3 and the Nixon Super Air.I weigh in at 185 lbs..In the RP3 im running 160 lbs,anymore seemed to lock up the travel to much.In the nixon Im running 180 lbs and that seems fine,might give up a little small bump sensitivity but more stable on the downs.I hate that wallowy feeling when set up to soft. On my VT2 with the swinger I ran 200 lbs main and 100 spv.Have no experience with Fox RP3 rear shocks and none of my friends ride them,so Im still trying different settings,any info would help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Although i don't ride reign(i ride VT).

most of our friends using reign (either 05 or 06) have the following setup.

05 reign
    Nixon Super / Platinum
    Swinger 3way

06 reign
    Marzzochi All Mountain 1/2
    Float R / Float RP3 / 06 3-way.

Most of us run 130 - 160 mm forks. something from Minute3 to Fox36 RC2 which depends on different rider favour.
    -----------
    Official Giant Bike Club Hong Kong
    www.giantbikeclub.com

In exile
    I weigh 200 without gear, so add 10 - 15 for that, and I am running 200 in my RP3. I am running an 06 Z1 Light on the front. I am going to send my RP3 to Push really soon though. Maybe as soon as tonight. I have been planning to for a couple of weeks.