mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What are you supposed to get with your new bike in terms of manuals ?

I got a Giant Trance x3 from the LBS and they handed my a piddly little general manual that didn't really have anything specific about my bike. Is there supposed to be something that tells me a little about setting up/maintaining my specific forks and hydraulic brakes etc ?

I guess I can consult the internets when I get stuck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    All the giant manuals are pretty generic. I ended up just going to the manufacturer's web site and grabbing the manual for each component on my bikes. I've found the Fox manuals to be pretty good. SRAM's site for Rockshox and Avid components and the other manufacturer sites like Shimano or Fox are pretty obvious (sorry, can't post links yet).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok, thanks Cozzal .

I would go to Barnes and noble or online, and find a modern mountain bike maintenance book. I got one a couple years ago and have used it a LOT when in the garage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I would go to Barnes and noble or online, and find a modern mountain bike maintenance book. I got one a couple years ago and have used it a LOT when in the garage.
    I notice that MBUK/Future publishing is selling a 2012 bike maintenance guide. Possibly reprints from sections of their magazines. I've had a quick flick through the digital preview version and it seems to cover the basics through to fitting and bleeding disc brakes. There's a lot of road stuff in there as well so if you don't need that then you might be better off getting a dedicated MTB book like Duggus suggests above.

KC Weekend Warrior
    cozzal has the right idea...

also if you like online help Park Tool has a great database: Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals