hardcore on the bunnyhill

What tires do you run on your NRS?

I currently have the stock hutchinson pythons, but they are starting to get worn out and I want to go to a tire thats a little more aggressive. I ride a lot of loose stuff. What is the biggest tire you have been able to run on an NRS? (Mine is a 2003 NRS 2). Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by emvath
    I currently have the stock hutchinson pythons, but they are starting to get worn out and I want to go to a tire thats a little more aggressive. I ride a lot of loose stuff. What is the biggest tire you have been able to run on an NRS? (Mine is a 2003 NRS 2). Thanks!
    i run a nokian gazzaloddi 2.3 in front and 2.1 at the rear fyi it is the foldable version

[paste title here]
    Im running the wtb mutano 2.4 Fr and 2.24 R. Both seem to fit perfectly with the bike and the tires are performing well.
    Keep Pedaling

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Panaracer Fire's 2.1 - they are much grippier than the Pythons but don't roll as quickly. I bought them after repeatedly bludgeoning myself with moderately wet logs on the Pythons!fficeffice" />>>
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    I swap between the Python's 2.0, Scorpion's 2.0, & Panaracer Fire XC 2.1. Depending on what time of year and where I am riding. There is very little room between the chainstays & tire when running the Scorpion's.

I love Pisgah
    I change tires literally 2-3 times a week. Something so cheap and easy to swap..that impacts a given ride SO much..well, its just plain fun as well as functional.

Race tires for dry fast hardpack: Schwable Racing Ralphs
    Racing in the mixed to full on mud: Schwable Jimmy Lights or Hutch Mosqiutos

Do-all fast hardpack trail riding: usually Pythons, Karma, Comp S lites
    Do-all knobbys: Fires, Mythos(fronts run frt and rr tho), Conty Explorer Pros, Jimmy Lites(again)

I need some more tires. This is about half of what I have. Seriously. Maybe some consuling would be in order instead.

Born on 2 Wheels
    I run IRC Serac's on my 04 NRS1 and I love em! Thinkin bout gettin some WTB epicwolfs though.

Here she is
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Shut up and Ride"

Santa Cruz Heckler Ano Silver "Silver Bullet"
    Fox DHX 5.0
    Fox Vanilla 130 R
    AWSOME!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

IRC 2.25 trailbears are perfect for Mt. Terrain...

Great size, weight, tread depth, this is our "do it all WELL" tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I run MAXXIS high rollers on both my NRS's. Mine are the tubless type but you can get them non-tubeless as well.

Fragile - must be Italian

Hutchinson Python Gold Elite's

I live in Arizona and ride mostly dry hardpack. The Hutchinson Python Gold Elite's work fantastic in this terrain. They are also great for racing because they are fast and predictable. These tires are on both my NRS Air and my old Trek 8000 hardtail.

But, I also know that the Pythons suck in the loose stuff. They are constructed of a bunch of small knobbies, which are designed to roll fast and grip on hardpack. In the loose stuff, you need BIG sparsely spaced knobbies. The Python's knobbies are just too small to sink in and grip.

I've always like the WTB Veloceraptors for the loose stuff. It's been a while since I have used big knobby tires, so I'm sure there is something better out there.

Regardless, if you're running Pythons and ride the loose stuff, then you're riding the wrong tire. If you want to stick with Hutchinson tires, the Mosquito's are supposed to be pretty good for loose or muddy conditions.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    python rear, mosquito front, in rocky or loose conditions this combo works for me. Python on front= crash.

XC rider/racer

Scorpions are quite wide

Quote Originally Posted by bertt
    I swap between the Python's 2.0, Scorpion's 2.0, & Panaracer Fire XC 2.1. Depending on what time of year and where I am riding. There is very little room between the chainstays & tire when running the Scorpion's.
    I`ve found the Scorpions I`ve had to be deceptively wide tyres...wider than any 2.1 tyre I`ve had and probably closer in size to a 2.2 or 2.3.
    Cheers

TR
    Angry bunny
    Another vote for the IRC Seracs here. Bought them for my first 24hr and found them excellent. Also run a set of Geaxx Sturdy's for general trail riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

wtb epicwolf 1.95

Quote Originally Posted by NRSDude
    I run IRC Serac's on my 04 NRS1 and I love em! Thinkin bout gettin some WTB epicwolfs though.

Here she is
    wtb epicwolf 1.95. most riding is on hardpack and gravelly conditions. it's a very XC tire, relatively light and they roll sooooo fast. they have nice bite with a more aggressive thread than the pythons.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon - lefty carbon SL | GT zaskar pro carbon HT - lefty carbon | Scott CR1 | Look 595

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Geax Blade 2.25's front and rear. The tires hook up very well on the rooty singletrack here in VA but their rolling resistance is pretty high. One benefit is you can run extremely low pressure in them. It almost feels like you add about an inch of travel. I am thinking about trying something that rolls a little better though.........

will race for beer
    Mar 2004

Kendra Karmas

I have a set of Kendra Karmas on my HardTail and like them a lot. As the trails are drying out (and my bike is only about a month old) I will leave the Pythons on for now and swap them with the Kendas if I race in wet conditions.

The Kendras roll pretty well and hook up real well in the corners. Pythons are faster on the hardpack, but the Kendras are better all around tires.

mtbr remember
    I'm currently between Conti Vertical protection 2.3 on front/Explorer protection 2.1 on back and Nokian Gazzaloddi Core 2.3/2.1. I really dig them both.
    Duckman- I don't know where you get your tires, but $70-$90 isn't cheap for me - when I tell people (other than biker friends) I spend that much on bike tires they freak out