Thread: What size?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. What size?

I'm trying to get my first bike so I'm not real experienced. Would a 17" frame fit me? I'm about 5'9". Inseam is about 30". Thanks.

I just let one RIP

best way to determine size is to go to a shop

Go to a bike shop where they can help size you correctly. Then test ride a couple of sizes, because sometimes, depending on the rider, one may like something other than the usual recommended size. In general, start by making sure you have 3 inches of clearance between the top tube and your crotch. Then, when the seat is raised to the point where you have full leg extension, the seat should be level with or slightly above the handlebars, though usually no more than 2 inches above (though there are some who like 5 inches!) Your reach to the handlebars should be comfortable and you should be balanced over the bike, not leaning too far forward, nor sitting too straight. At about 5'9", a 17" or 18" frame sounds about right, but again, I wouldn't select one without checking it out at your local bike shop.

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance
    I'm trying to get my first bike so I'm not real experienced. Would a 17" frame fit me? I'm about 5'9". Inseam is about 30". Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance
    yeah you should try some on for size, but at 5.9 you would def be around the 18.5 frame size in a NRS. I'm about 6ft and ride an 18.5 which is slightly too small for me, but I make it work with a 120mm stem and seat set a bit back.

they are wicked bikes

mtbr member
    The model that you're looking into determines the size instead of your height.

I'm 5'8" and ride a 16.5" VT but used to ride a 17" Jamis Dakar, 18" GF Kaitai, currently ride a 18" Access singlespeed and waiting for a 18" Kona Unit to arrive. For me the main issue was the standover height and top tube lenght.

Giant VT and NRS share the same sizing so a 16.5 or 18.5 should fit you but the best way to find the "right one" will be to visit the LBS and test ride them. The smaller frame can be adjusted with a lay back post and a longer stem but nothing can be done (other than a short stem) if the frame is too big or too high.

My .02