mtbr member
    May 2012

What parts do I need to go tubeless on my 2011 Talon 1?

Hi guys,

I've been lurking a while, but I figured I would finally join.

I want to go tubeless with my 2011 Talon 1 29er, but I can't find anywhere I searched for what parts I need. Do I need rim strips, just a valve, or a full conversion kit? What brands do you recommend? Also any good sites with some deals would be appreciated. Are the current tires able to run tubeless too? Also, if I decide to get new tires, what are the specs I should look for with running tubeless tires on the stock rims. Finally, I know you should set the bead with a compressor, where can you get a presta valve adapter (or whatever its called), or do you just use a nozzle on the hose while the valve is out of the stem? Sorry for all the questions, but I just can't find the information anywhere and the LBS didn't know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread

check out this thread.

mtbr member
    Check the thread mentioned above for details but the easiest IMO is the Stan's kit.

mtbr member

Like DiRt DeVil said - Stans Kit

I converted to tubeless last summer using the Stans Kit. It was very easy. You can pick up a shrader conversion at you LBS. I actually only needed a compressor on one of four wheels converted so maybe you will luck out but be prepared to pump hard with a floor pump to set the tires.

FYI, the wheels I have were DT Swiss and Mavic rims.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks guys! That thread was a huge help, and answered some of my other questions on rims. It's still a lot to pick up on some of the inside lingo, but I slowly am. But be prepared for more dumb questions (I try to search as much as possible before asking!)

I ended up going to the LBS, and picked up some specialized captain tires, presta valves, and some other goodies. The tech there really knew his stuff, and he recommends 3M packing tape (with the threads in it) instead of gorilla tape. I used to use the 3M stuff to tape batteries when I raced RC cars years ago, so i can see it working every well. By the time I got done chatting I also bought a waterbottle cage and a bottle, and was $170 by the time I was done, however he gave me half of a bottle of stans seal for free.

I don't have a measuring cup for it though, so what size is that regular measuring cup?

mtbr member
    Is a tiny measuring cup, no even sure if its even 1/4 of a regular cup.

The Captains are a great choice, specially on the front IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks, I had picked out the captains, then got talked into the fast tracks because I ride pavement when I don't have time to hit the trail. Then they only had 1 fast track so I just bought the captains. I can't wait to hit some of the climbs at the trails though with these new tires, and with the tubeless, I'm expecting some nice results!

I suppose I'll just put a half cup of stans in each tire and that should be safe????

mtbr member
    I would say that's more than enough, enjoy your new rubber.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks, I'll probably be doing it tonight!