Thread: what one to get

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

what one to get

just getting back on the bike. biking to work and on the trails with baby seat on the back but now its time for a real bike i have found 2 bikes and cannot decide which one to get i found a 2013 Giant Men's Boulder 1 for $599 or a 2014 Giant Men's Talon 5 27.5 for $647 and just do not know the difference between them any thoughts and ideas would be great thanks

mtbr member
    If that's your price range, I'd go with the Talon. More money gets you a better bike, but I've seen the Talon, and the advantage there is you are getting a good frame.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Talon being a good frame.

The 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5 is only $570 msrp. Why are you paying $647? Is that after tax? Even then that's 13.5% tax? Or is your bike shop charging more than msrp?

Where and how are you planning on riding? If you're going to do more of the same stuff (paved trails with a child) you don't really need a "mountain bike". If you do plan on doing more offroad type stuff, go with the Talon or buy used.
    2013 Giant Trance X29 2
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er

mtbr member
    Get the Talon, is more bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonf150 View Post
    +1 on the Talon being a good frame.

The 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5 is only $570 msrp. Why are you paying $647? Is that after tax? Even then that's 13.5% tax? Or is your bike shop charging more than msrp?

new zealand price we get ripped off for everything over here. and yes still need a mountain bike

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Talon.
    2012 Giant Talon 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    +1 for the Talon

I'd also consider keeping an eye out on trademe too though......at this time of year there are plenty of bikes at reasonable prices and you may just get a much better spec'd ride for the money (as long as you don't mind 2nd hand).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    i have been looking all over trade me without any luck i went to my local bike store to buy the talon 27.5 5 bike but they have been popular and they have all sold out and none for the next 5 or 6 weeks so the manager gave me a deal that i could not refuse he offered me the talon 27.5 4 for $799 instead of $979RRP here it is
    Talon 27.5 4 (2014) (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | New Zealand

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice......now you just have to get it dirty!