Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    127

    What fork on a Trance X0 29?

    I weigh 210 with gear and I cannot get the stock fork to work right. I cannot get small bump compliance and have the fork carry me through a turn without it falling on it's face. The problem is I still like to climb and then hammer it down hill which is why I chose this bike. Is the Fox 34 160 something that will work? Has anyone done this mod?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    28
    I think the 160mm might be a bit much considering the stock one is only 125mm. I put a Fox 34 140mm on my TranceX0 and love the crap out of it now! BTW I weigh 200.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikensand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    160
    I agree that the 160 mm might be a bit much and would throw the geometry all out of whack.

    O'Peeler - What did you do with the stock fork? If you sold it, what did you get out of it? I'm considering going to a 140 and was curious what the market is for a fork with Giant's proprietary steerer taper

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by bikensand View Post

    O'Peeler - What did you do with the stock fork? If you sold it, what did you get out of it? I'm considering going to a 140 and was curious what the market is for a fork with Giant's proprietary steerer taper
    Bikensand, I still have the stock Fox 32. I had a regular customer at my LBS that had bought a cheaper Giant 29er and he was interested in it. I was gonna give it to him for $300, it's no use to me anymore and it would help him out.
    The 140mm on the bike is awesome! I think that's what should have been spec'd on that bike to start with.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    127
    O.P. What are the better aspects of the 140mm compared to the stock Fox? What was the cost for the change approximately? I'm looking at the same option.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by CMH22 View Post
    O.P. What are the better aspects of the 140mm compared to the stock Fox? What was the cost for the change approximately? I'm looking at the same option.
    I like the Float 34 better because it's a little stiffer and a bit more travel. It doesn't weigh much more than the 32 and slackened the bike out, which I like for what I ride, and it only raised the BB a quarter inch.
    As for the cost, it's not a cheap fork, but in my opinion well worth it. It totally changed the bike into a trail slayer. Hope that helps.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by bikensand View Post
    I agree that the 160 mm might be a bit much and would throw the geometry all out of whack.

    O'Peeler - What did you do with the stock fork? If you sold it, what did you get out of it? I'm considering going to a 140 and was curious what the market is for a fork with Giant's proprietary steerer taper
    To sell an OD2 fork you're limited to someone with a Giant. Don't think any other frame has that taper. You either sell it cheap or hold on to it as a spare. When your fork goes in for service you can still ride unless you do it yourself.

    Might consider getting it Pushed as that option might cost less than selling your fork and buying new.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    127
    I don't have any experience with Push. Can they make this fork any better? I am disappointed on the handling of my X0 suspension so far. I have about 15 hours on the bike and have tinkered with the suspension a lot. thanks

  9. #9
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,540

    What fork on a Trance X0 29?

    Quote Originally Posted by CMH22 View Post
    I don't have any experience with Push. Can they make this fork any better? I am disappointed on the handling of my X0 suspension so far. I have about 15 hours on the bike and have tinkered with the suspension a lot. thanks
    May not change a thing but I set my X1 up according to the Fox Suspension app (iPhone, free) and it feels great. It's a free option so give it a try, assuming the app is available for your OS.



    Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TrimReaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Peeler View Post
    I like the Float 34 better because it's a little stiffer and a bit more travel. It doesn't weigh much more than the 32 and slackened the bike out, which I like for what I ride, and it only raised the BB a quarter inch.
    As for the cost, it's not a cheap fork, but in my opinion well worth it. It totally changed the bike into a trail slayer. Hope that helps.
    Hi O'Peeler,

    Did you put spacers below the stem and if so, how many?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by TrimReaper View Post
    Hi O'Peeler,

    Did you put spacers below the stem and if so, how many?
    Hey there TrimReaper! I'm running NO spacers under the stem. The stem is a 70mm 0deg rise Easton stem on a Size Med frame. Hope this helps!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TrimReaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Peeler View Post
    Hey there TrimReaper! I'm running NO spacers under the stem. The stem is a 70mm 0deg rise Easton stem on a Size Med frame. Hope this helps!
    Thanks, O'Peeler for the prompt response. Yes, that really helps. Need to benchmark because I just upgraded my fork with a 140mm Talas Kashima and currently having 3 spacers below and 2 spacers above. Stem is 60mm X4 Thomson. My frame size is M and I am 5'10" tall weighing 176 lbs. Need to try this first and will adjust accordingly.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott@GO-RIDE.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,255
    I would get a Fox 36 or RockShox Pike. Both are hugely superior to the 32 on your bike and the current Fox 34. They also are as light or lighter than a 34. I would set either of them up at 130 to 140 mm. We've had some great deals on RS Pike 29ers, but not sure if we have any left. www.GO-RIE.com
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott@GO-RIDE.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,255
    Oh, and your current 0D2 fork will fit on any bike that can run a tapered for and has a 44 mm upper HS. This is most MTBs made in the last 3 to 4 years. You just need to sell your upper haedset, spacers and stem with the fork.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    I would get a Fox 36 or RockShox Pike. Both are hugely superior to the 32 on your bike and the current Fox 34. They also are as light or lighter than a 34. I would set either of them up at 130 to 140 mm. We've had some great deals on RS Pike 29ers, but not sure if we have any left. www.GO-RIE.com

    @scott@go-ride
    I have been thinking about a Pike for my trance X0. I see that it is available in two different offsets, 46mm and 51mm. Which would be best for the bike? Not sure what the current offset on the stock FOX float 29 is. My bike is a 2013.

Similar Threads

  1. New fork for my Trance - help
    By Dirtman in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 06:08 AM
  2. 06 trance w 160 fork
    By kill phil in forum Giant
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 06:02 AM
  3. 140-mm fork on Trance
    By Rev Bubba in forum Giant
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 09:26 AM
  4. Fork for Trance-x - what travel?
    By dirkdaddy in forum Giant
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-26-2012, 12:19 AM
  5. 11' Trance X1 - Fox Fork Service
    By parkp81 in forum Giant
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 07:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Can't find it? Just search our site!