mtbr member
    May 2008

What fork on a Trance X0 29?

I weigh 210 with gear and I cannot get the stock fork to work right. I cannot get small bump compliance and have the fork carry me through a turn without it falling on it's face. The problem is I still like to climb and then hammer it down hill which is why I chose this bike. Is the Fox 34 160 something that will work? Has anyone done this mod?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think the 160mm might be a bit much considering the stock one is only 125mm. I put a Fox 34 140mm on my TranceX0 and love the crap out of it now! BTW I weigh 200.

mtbr member
    I agree that the 160 mm might be a bit much and would throw the geometry all out of whack.

O'Peeler - What did you do with the stock fork? If you sold it, what did you get out of it? I'm considering going to a 140 and was curious what the market is for a fork with Giant's proprietary steerer taper

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikensand View Post

O'Peeler - What did you do with the stock fork? If you sold it, what did you get out of it? I'm considering going to a 140 and was curious what the market is for a fork with Giant's proprietary steerer taper
    Bikensand, I still have the stock Fox 32. I had a regular customer at my LBS that had bought a cheaper Giant 29er and he was interested in it. I was gonna give it to him for $300, it's no use to me anymore and it would help him out.
    The 140mm on the bike is awesome! I think that's what should have been spec'd on that bike to start with.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    O.P. What are the better aspects of the 140mm compared to the stock Fox? What was the cost for the change approximately? I'm looking at the same option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CMH22 View Post
    O.P. What are the better aspects of the 140mm compared to the stock Fox? What was the cost for the change approximately? I'm looking at the same option.
    I like the Float 34 better because it's a little stiffer and a bit more travel. It doesn't weigh much more than the 32 and slackened the bike out, which I like for what I ride, and it only raised the BB a quarter inch.
    As for the cost, it's not a cheap fork, but in my opinion well worth it. It totally changed the bike into a trail slayer. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikensand View Post
    I agree that the 160 mm might be a bit much and would throw the geometry all out of whack.

To sell an OD2 fork you're limited to someone with a Giant. Don't think any other frame has that taper. You either sell it cheap or hold on to it as a spare. When your fork goes in for service you can still ride unless you do it yourself.

Might consider getting it Pushed as that option might cost less than selling your fork and buying new.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I don't have any experience with Push. Can they make this fork any better? I am disappointed on the handling of my X0 suspension so far. I have about 15 hours on the bike and have tinkered with the suspension a lot. thanks

DFMBA.org

What fork on a Trance X0 29?

Quote Originally Posted by CMH22 View Post
    I don't have any experience with Push. Can they make this fork any better? I am disappointed on the handling of my X0 suspension so far. I have about 15 hours on the bike and have tinkered with the suspension a lot. thanks
    May not change a thing but I set my X1 up according to the Fox Suspension app (iPhone, free) and it feels great. It's a free option so give it a try, assuming the app is available for your OS.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.