mtbr member

What do you think of R7 models & S-Type models?

Hi,

What does everyone think about the Manitou R7 and which model do you recomend as I'm looking for 80mm travel fork. The R7 models offer different characteristics for 80mm, do I really need the lookout with so mush less travel 100mm fork. Also, I know the latest SPV is great but with 80mm fork travel what's the advantages?

Basicly, I'm asking for your advised, do we really need to spend that extra dollar for the middle or top end R7 models or is the bottom end model R7 80mm fork is good enough?

Also, what does everyone think about the Manitou rear shock S-Type (SPV & non SPV). With the Giant Anthem bikes with so little rear travel (3.5") do we really need SPV or non SPV S-Type good enough?

You feedback is much appreciated by all...

Regards
    ;-)

mtbr member
    I have the Anthem 2 20" and I weigh about 180. I tend to ride hard and am notorious at the shop where I work for breaking things and wearing parts out prematurely. In the 500 miles or so that I have put on the bike, I have had no problems with the front or rear shocks. The fork is an R7 Elite set up for OEM with the TPC lockout like the R7 Super. The rear is the regular Non-SPV S-Type shock with a lockout. The lockout on the fork works well and the dial has a feeling of good quality. It is unfortunate that the lockout lacks a threshold adjustment like the RS Reba, but it is great on the long straightaways and for getting to the trail. It does live up to the hype as being very stiff for it's weight, although I wouldn't mind the extra half a pound or so for a stiffer Reba. It beats the SID hands down for flex. Overall I'm very happy with the R7 Elite with lockout. The S-Type shock functions great and is amazingly light (then again, so is a Fox Float-R). I have had no problems with it. I dont use the lockout on it very often because it doesn't seem to need it as long as my body doesn't bounce when I pedal sitting down. When I do sit and pedal, it seems to be kind of bouncy when the rear is locked out. I would like to try an Anthem with a Fox RP3, just to see what it is like, but I don't really see any need for a platform in the rear. I hope this helps you and any other potential Anthem buyers out there.
    -Chris
    Ride More