mtbr member
    Feb 2012

what do you think?

Hey Giant guru's, need some input here. I used to ride Giant, my daughter just started riding one and I've been looking at new ones. Started out looking at a Trance X4 then the dealer was trying to sway me towards an Anthem 29er. I came across a used 2010 Rocky Mountain Element 50 for $1200( maybe less), should I go check it out 2 hrs away or stick with a Giant from my lbs? BTW, I'm between 5'9" and 5'10" . RM is a medium

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a 2012 x4 love it base model so you might wanna upgrade later. I am between 5'9-5'10 I ride medium. Anything on the RM. the x4 is decent and you do know that it came out of the box.

The Anthem is a great bike but the cost might be up there.

I would definitely have someone that knows bikes to look at used bikes.

Also ride the new bikes and see from there. which one is better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm not sure I understood the "anything on the RM" part of that statement. Did you leave a word out? I would like to stay loyal to my LBS, I've dealt with him since about 1990. I was out of the scene for a while and got back in about a year ago. I hear a lot of good about the Trance's. Not too sure if I'd like a 29er, but could possibly buy a demo Anthem X1. When I called a RM dealer to ask about the one I came across he was pretty harsh in his opinions of Giant. Can't say that I agreed w/him. I dont know anything about the RM's and wanted to feel out you guys as to whether or not this was something I should really go after or not. Thanks for input trdspetacoma.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry I meant "I really don't know anything on the RM.".

I had a boulder ( don't ask what I was thinking when I bought it) that I use for commuting and just tooling around the neighborhood. But I love my x4 to death. Only prob I have is that I am in the heavier setting so parts feel a little squishy for me.

I am not going in to the debates about LBS but I can tell you if you like / love / trust yours then I would follow your instinct, but I myself was in your situation I would like you to try different bikes as anthem and trance are completely different bikes