mtbr member

What to do about a dying AC?

So I have an 03 ac set up for FR/DH with a super t on the front and I think I'm killing the frame. Aside from various dents that are surely my fault, it has started making strange clicking noises in the front end, and the steering feels tight even with the headset fairly loose. I guess this means the headtube is starting to ovalize, right?

Anyway, I blame the stupid giant internal headset design. Does anybody know if it's possible to pop the internal headset cups out so I can run a real deep cup headset that would get me another year of life out of this frame? I know the later models abandoned the internal headset, and I'm wondering if there was a change to the headtube? Any giant reps out there know if a switch is possible?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Clicking noises could be from a pooched headset bearing or a number of fork-related problems (ie. broken coil, improperly seated spring, etc).

But if you can't get the hs tight without grinding / binding on the bearing, chances are good that you'll need a new one. I ran an '03 until I cracked it and simply replaced the FSA bearing with one from the FSA Pig DH. When you take it out of the bike, you'll know right away if it's toast. Replace the bearing and you'll probably be good. It was about $14 cad. Usually, it's the bearing in the bottom cup that eats it first.

I'm not a fan of the integrated / internal cup headset because it severely limits aftermarket options, but they're plenty strong. I ride my new AC on what most people call freeride and it's more than capable -- they're super-tough frames. If you don't like the internal cups, you can get spacers from a Giant dealer that'll allow you to run a conventional headset. Later models kept the internal cup hs -- I run an '05 frame and it's got the same hs as my '03 did.

Quote Originally Posted by skatetokil
    So I have an 03 ac set up for FR/DH with a super t on the front and I think I'm killing the frame. Aside from various dents that are surely my fault, it has started making strange clicking noises in the front end, and the steering feels tight even with the headset fairly loose. I guess this means the headtube is starting to ovalize, right?

Anyway, I blame the stupid giant internal headset design. Does anybody know if it's possible to pop the internal headset cups out so I can run a real deep cup headset that would get me another year of life out of this frame? I know the later models abandoned the internal headset, and I'm wondering if there was a change to the headtube? Any giant reps out there know if a switch is possible?
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!