mtbr member

What Disc Brakes for My NRS?

Hi,

I have an NRS Team, just built it up, only thing i need now is brakes. Just wanted some input on what size rotors i should run, what brake etc. I will be racing XC on it, and also taking her down some long decents so want a brake that doesnt suffer too badly from pump up or brake fade.

I have a F100X Fork and Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset (just incase you know of any incompatability issues with any brake etc). I was thinking about either Hayes El Camino, Magura Marta SL or Avid Juicy Carbon. I was also thinking of getting 180mm Front, 160mm Rear. What you think? some people say run 160mm F & R what are your thoughts on this?

Cheers

Smidgey

enjoy the view
    hey smidge,
    i think you're pretty much on the ball with the 8" front and 6" rear sized rotors. that's exactly what i've been dreamin of for my nrs but i'm thinking avid juicy carbons.

hope that helps!

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I have ridden the following disc brakes on my NRS bikes...
    Hayes HFX 9 Carbon
    Hayes El Camino's
    Avid BB7's

All 3 have been very very good. If I had to pick one pair I would go with the Camino's because of their on the fly adjustability.

To be honest you can't go wrong with any of the pairs I listed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't race, but I do weigh around 190 lbs and I've had no problem with my Shimano XT (4-pot) 160mm front rotors. This included a fair amount of sustained steep down hill pavement runs. Never had any fade and enough front brake left over to go over the handle bar if I wanted.

If I'm not mistaken, some fork manufacturers won't warranty their products if you run a 180mm rotor.

MBAA!
    Personally I have used Avid Juicy 7s on a bike (not an NRS) and fell in love. Now due to lack of money, I am getting Avid Juicy 5s this holiday season with any luck. I will be doing 6" front, 6" rear.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

Fragile - must be Italian

Martas

Quote Originally Posted by Smidge
    Hi,

I have an NRS Team, just built it up, only thing i need now is brakes. Just wanted some input on what size rotors i should run, what brake etc. I will be racing XC on it, and also taking her down some long decents so want a brake that doesnt suffer too badly from pump up or brake fade.

I have a F100X Fork and Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset (just incase you know of any incompatability issues with any brake etc). I was thinking about either Hayes El Camino, Magura Marta SL or Avid Juicy Carbon. I was also thinking of getting 180mm Front, 160mm Rear. What you think? some people say run 160mm F & R what are your thoughts on this?

Cheers

Smidgey
    Simple - get the Magura Marta's. I have had a pair on my '03 NRS for the past 2 years and they have performed flawlessly. I think they are the best XC brakes on the market - light, strong, and they have a nice "feel" (modulation).

You don't need anything bigger than 160mm rotors on an NRS. Anything bigger is overkill. The 160mm wavy rotors on my Marta setup provide plenty of braking power, even on loooooong technical downhills.

Thx...Doug

enjoy the view
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Simple - get the Magura Marta's. I have had a pair on my '03 NRS for the past 2 years and they have performed flawlessly. I think they are the best XC brakes on the market - light, strong, and they have a nice "feel" (modulation).

You don't need anything bigger than 160mm rotors on an NRS. Anything bigger is overkill. The 160mm wavy rotors on my Marta setup provide plenty of braking power, even on loooooong technical downhills.

Thx...Doug
    not to steal attention from smidge's post, doug, could you please post pics of your nrs in the nrs pics post. i'd be interested in seeing that set up.

rex

mtbr member

athem 2?

Hello,
    Im buyin a Giant Anthem 2 soon, and im wondering if anyone has one yet and wants to post a review on it? as soon as i buy one im planing to post a review, but im wondering wat other people think. thanks guys
    Last edited by bikejunkie101; 01-02-2006 at 11:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Shimano XT's have very good stopping power. I raced XC with them for a couple of years with the dual control shifters and was very happy. They work best with the organic pads, anything over a 6 inch rotor for XC is not necessary.

mtbr member
    just to update, i have ordered my Avid Juicy Carbons today.

160mm front and rear.

reasons are primarily:

Best lever on the market
    Fantastic Modulation
    Light (not as light as Marta SL but close enough)
    Easy to set up with the tri align caliper
    Amazing brake (according to magazine reviews and end user reviews)
    Marta SL has a weak return spring as seen in the lever which failed on me during a test ride
    Last edited by Smidge; 01-03-2006 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    i have the carbon levers (hence Juicy Carbons )

MBAA!
    Forget my earlier post, I now run Avid Juicy 7's. I have not had a problem once, and in fact I could install them hassle-free... and im no proffesional bike mechanic by any means. They have excellent stopping power, and some adjustability from the lever itself (contact point). The levers feel very nice, if you want those wierd textured levers look elsewhere, but these are very clean feeling. Quite honestly, one of my pet peeves from my old brakes were how the levers were sort of textured. Always felt wierd.

Anywhoo, I also got them for a steal, 245$ front AND rear. That includes everything.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yeah, i run Juicy 7s and like them very much. as mentioned, very easy to set up, with no issues of rotor rub. good balance of weight, performance, cost and build quality. the 'carbon' versions are very bling; not good value, but bling!

enjoy.
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -

- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -

Members who have read this thread: 0