Stiff yet compliant

What coil for my Reign x.

New Reign X1 here. It came with a 500lb coil and with the preload cranked all the way down it still sags a little bit more than I want. Would a 550lb be enough or should I jump to a 600?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    New Reign X1 here. It came with a 500lb coil and with the preload cranked all the way down it still sags a little bit more than I want. Would a 550lb be enough or should I jump to a 600?
    How many turns of preload? If it's like 8 turns, then probably worth going up 100lb.
    Do you already have max boost pressure? (can't remember if it's 150 or 200psi?) I hear that can affect sag a bit.

Also, when you say it sags more than you want, what is it? I hear these bikes need ~35% sag in the rear to work best, and that's working on mine, so don't assume you need to run 25% sag.
    Last edited by fsrxc; 06-26-2008 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    if you haven't already, search "spring rate calculator" here on mtbr.com, you'll know for sure which spring you need depending on your body wt. w/ gear and all. where do you live man? Im in so.cal and if it happens to be the 600lb you need I have a brand new 1 i'm willing to trade with your 500lb. my x1 came with 450lb spring so i then bought a 550 and a 600lb spring, I put the 550lb on 1st and it worked fine but i've lost some wt recently. If ur interested let me know.

Stiff yet compliant
    Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like a 600 spring may work best for me. I'm still playing around with the adjustments and getting my set up dialed in. I tend to prefer less sag on my FS bikes than most people. Possibly because I ride a hardtail half the time and am accustomed to a more firm rear end.
    avid28- alas I live in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    How many turns of preload? If it's like 8 turns, then probably worth going up 100lb.
    If you are using 8 turns, back that off right away. Most shocks and springs are designed around 2 turns max. Knowing that most engineers aren't going to design with zero safety factor or tolerance allowance, I bet 4 turns wouldn't cause damage. That said, if your spring goes solid, your shock will go boom!!!

jones'in
    I weigh 185# and a 650# spring is perfect for me.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like a 600 spring may work best for me. I'm still playing around with the adjustments and getting my set up dialed in. I tend to prefer less sag on my FS bikes than most people. Possibly because I ride a hardtail half the time and am accustomed to a more firm rear end.
    avid28- alas I live in Colorado.
    The thing is, Maestro suspension is designed to work with a decent amount of sag (I don't know the exact number, but I've heard 30-40%) so if you "like" a firmer feel, and run less sag, the bike won't work the way it's designed and you would be better off getting a bike with less travel, like a Trance or something.

Another option, you could run proper sag, but add some boost pressure to firm up the compression damping a bit, which might feel better to you.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    The thing is, Maestro suspension is designed to work with a decent amount of sag (I don't know the exact number, but I've heard 30-40%) so if you "like" a firmer feel, and run less sag, the bike won't work the way it's designed and you would be better off getting a bike with less travel, like a Trance or something.

Another option, you could run proper sag, but add some boost pressure to firm up the compression damping a bit, which might feel better to you.
    Nope. That is only true with DW linkage. People just assumed they were the same.

Maestro requires 25-30% sag range on the RX models and 30-35% range for the glory.

The funny thing about Maestro is that it remains smooth on small bumps when you decrease the sag amount. I can set mine to 25% sag and it still feels smooth. This is due to the initial reward axle path.

I notice the bump comliance actually goes down when you go over 30% sag on the Reign X.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I weigh 180 and the 55o lbe spring works best for me.