mtbr member
    Oct 2011

What can you tell me about this Giant XTC Carbon? Should I get it?

Hi guys,

So right now I ride a Giant Iguana Disc and while I like it, and really truly don't NEED anything better, I found a bike that sounds like too sexy of a deal to not jump on...however, I have very little info on it...the owner wants $700 (and is flexible on even that) and says it has "top of the line SRAM stuff on it" (but sadly only 2 rings on the front, not sure if 9 or 10 in the back). He says it's been jumped and crashed and has scratches but no chips in the frame and that overall the bike is in good condition (the reason for the bike being cheap is that we're in Korea, so the market is limited...what are the chances another foreigner wants a high-end bike...especially since he lives in a rather quiet corner of the country).

Anyways...here's the bike...I'm guessing it has Fox shocks and what appears to be Avid Elixirs, but I could be wrong...what do you guys think? I got a screaming deal on my Iguana, so I could sell that for a profit (hoping for $400-500, it has hydros, LX, etc) and if I could pick this up for $200 more, I'd be happy as a pig in mud)...

Thanks,
    Tamas

mtbr member
    IMHO, it looks to be a really good deal for the price, so long as the frame isn't trashed... I'd give it a once over in person, but if the frame is still in good shape, I'd jump all over that. I'm pretty sure everything is X9 drivetrain related.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Awesome, thanks...I've never owned anything with SRAM (initially I hated GripShift, so I went Shimano and never switched)...I've ridden LX/XT/XTR for the past 15 years...X.9 is basically their XT/XTR, right? I mean it should be buttery-smooth and precise?

Also, do you know if that's a 9 or a 10 speed cassette? (He got it last year, so it should be a '10 or '11 model). It only has two rings in the front which sucks...I definitely want to add the big ring if I get it, would that be hard? (Does SRAM even make 2 speed front stuff, or is it most likely that they simply took the top ring off, and all the hardware - 3 speed shifter and derailleur - is there, and I merely have to add a third ring and get rolling?)

Sorry for the million questions, unfortunately the seller hasn't been very helpful...it's a 2 hour bus ride each way to see the bike, so I want to know as much about it as possible before even committing to that.

mtbr member
    X-9 is XT level equivalent. It's great stuff IMHO, although it is personal preference. I'm a sram guy, others aren't. The frame is definitely an '11 model, so that will have a 10 speed cassette. You will not be able to run a 3x10 with that crank. It is 2x10 specific. With that said, you might not even find the need for the 44 ring. I'd ride it the way it is first and make that decision later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Wow, thanks for all the great info, you're awesome! Good to know it's an '11 model...

So if it has the 2x10 setup from the factory, that means it only has a 2 speed front shifter? Will the front derailleur handle 3 rings? (I'm just wondering what I'd have to change *IF* I choose to go the 3x10 route...looks like so far I'm up to a ring, a shifter and a set of cranks). I'm currently riding 3x9 and finding that I'm shifting a lot unnecessarily simply because the ratios are so close together...for me, the ideal was my old 3x8 setup...I'm just afraid 2x10 won't be enough, especially because I ride a lot of road, where I tend to be in the big ring quite often.

With that said, you're right...I might find that I don't need the extra ring and even if I do, if it's not too pricey an upgrade, I wouldn't mind buying the bike now and upgrading later...

PS: I know that Sram has now switched to a RapidFire-like shifter, which I'm happy about (quite frankly, I don't care what brand stuff is as long as it works well)...will the feel of the shifters be comparable to my current stuff? (Mega9 Deore shifters controlling LX derailleurs).

mtbr member
    The largest noticeable difference between sram and shimano pods are that shimano pods are 2 finger use (thumb upshift, index downshift) whereas sram pods are single finger (thumb does upshift and downshift levers under the grip). It takes some getting used to when you first ride it, but eventually it turns second nature.

If you really wanted to swap to 3x10, you would need a 3 speed crank, a 3 speed front derailleur, a 3 speed shifter pod, and a new chain. Adding a ring will do nothing for you unfortunately, aside from it being there as a bashguard.

Another option would be to just buy a larger front ring to replace the 32 or 34 on it currently. Something like a 22/36 would be a cheaper alternative to getting better gearing without breaking the bank. You'd just have to worry about the front derailleur covering such a big gap in chainrings, that's the only concern.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Awesome, thank you so much. Thankfully I live in a bigger city than that guy, and I live very close to Korea's second largest city, so if I don't like it, I'm sure I could sell it without much trouble quickly.

I really want to like it, though...a little nervous about the lack of the big ring, otherwise, I could get used to the different shifters, and I really want the lightweight frame/plush forks...Yeah, if the front derailleur could handle a 36, I think I could live with that (my current middle ring is a 32 and I'm happy cruising in it most of the time).

Once again, thank you for all the info, it's people like you who make message boards like this so valuable!

It's 2:30 a.m. here (I've been too excited to sleep haha, been researching this bike/hoping that he's out drinking and would respond to my email tonight haha), but time for me to hit the hay...will update you guys when I hear back from him tomorrow, I hope!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    He included some pics of the damage...what do you guys think? He wants about $700 for it, I may be able to talk him down to roughly $600. Apparently has a freshly-rebuilt fork and has had other components (BB, etc) inspected by a shop...

Flickr: Franky0351's Photostream

mtbr member
    Two points that grabed my attention: that drivetrain, considering especially the crank teeth, seems to be nearing its usable life (don't know about cassette and chain though).The rear derailleur has evident signs of a crash and its alignment should be verified.

Looking at the other photos, having into account the overall condition and aspect of the bike, 700 bucks is way too much. There aren't any hardware extras that justify it. And especially, you don't know how the fork has been maintained.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BustedBearing View Post
    Two points that grabed my attention: that drivetrain, considering especially the crank teeth, seems to be nearing its usable life (don't know about cassette and chain though).The rear derailleur has evident signs of a crash and its alignment should be verified.

Looking at the other photos, having into account the overall condition and aspect of the bike, 700 bucks is way too much. There aren't any hardware extras that justify it. And especially, you don't know how the fork has been maintained.
    Thanks, I agree (I just didn't want to say anything to influence people's opinions)...the big ring looks like it'll need to be changed soon...also, generally, that's a sign of a LOT of use, especially on a bike that's only a year old.

I was really excited about this bike, but it looks like it's been bashed and beaten and now he's looking to unload it. It would be an extra $50 for me to go get it, plus 6 hours (3 each way) on a bus...plus, he's not including pedals, so that's an extra bit of money there as well. As much as I would LOVE a high-end XC HT, I think I'm going to pass on this...what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    I think you're doing right.

Bikes should be used and by using them they'll have signs of it, however that doesn't imply you don't have to take care of them and treat them properly. This one unfortunately doesn't seem to have been very well taken care for. If it had been extensively ridden it would have some more and other kinds of marks/signs different from what it has.

If you could throw out 700 bucks now you can certainly wait a tad bit longer and save some more and get yourself a new bike. If you can't afford the top of the line you can always get one in the lower range and then upgrade components as need comes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I think you're doing right.

Bikes should be used and by using them they'll have signs of it, however that doesn't imply you don't have to take care of them and treat them properly. This one unfortunately doesn't seem to have been very well taken care for. If it had been extensively ridden it would have some more and other kinds of marks/signs different from what it has.

If you could throw out 700 bucks now you can certainly wait a tad bit longer and save some more and get yourself a new bike. If you can't afford the top of the line you can always get one in the lower range and then upgrade components as need comes.
    Thanks for your reply...excellent points...

Well, I already have a decent bike (Giant Iguana Disc with Avid Juicy Three hydro brakes, LX/Deore drivetrain, etc...I'm happy with the bike, except the Suntour Magnesium fork).

I'm living in South Korea right now and the Iguana, while nice, is not nice enough to bother taking back to Canada when I'm done, so I'm selling it when I leave (hence why I'm not bothering to upgrade the fork)...so I'm kind of looking for a bike I'll love to take back...however, here, higher-end bikes are roughly twice as expensive as at home...so buying new is not an option.

With that said, I don't *NEED* a new bike...I just saw something that looked sexy and kind of wanted it, but it looks like the guy bashed it and is now trying to unload it. I'm also worried about the damage to the frame if the components have been hit this hard.

mtbr member
    Being a carbon frame I wouldn't have much confidence. Airline cracks for instance could already exist and are hard to spot.

Depending on how long you're staying in Korea you can always get a new fork, since that has been what you've clearly pointed as the thing you don't like. Or an used fork if cost still is a problem. A good one though. Keep the Suntour and when time comes to leave, re-install the Suntour on the bike and take the newer one with you. Same goes for other components. A lot of stuff is reusable on a new frame. I did that when I got my FS frame. Ditched the parts that the Anthem X4 frame brought from the factory and installed the ones I had on a XtC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Guy emailed me and told me the bike is sold...I felt relieved...I guess that answers it right there haha.

BB: Yeah, I was thinking about the hairline cracks as well...the only used forks I've seen have been Rock Shox Tora and stuff, which don't seem like they'd be a massive improvement over my current fork. Other than that, I haven't really seen any forks for under about a grand...which would be silly to put on a bike I'm not planning on keeping...and that's the problem, I have no idea how long I'll be here...I've been here a year and a half roughly, and only planned for one year. I have 8 months of my contract left...whether I'll decide to renew or not, I'm not sure...

I'm very happy with the other components on the bike (honestly...I'd love to have 8" discs, but meh...with the new rotors I'm much happier with the Juicys than I was with the stock rotors)...I'll keep thinking about the fork, if I see a screaming deal I'll get it, if not, I'll just ride the ol' horse the way it is! Thanks again for all your insight

mtbr member
    200mm what for? That bike isn't intended for all mountain or anything over light trail. Are you a heavy guy? If not 160mm are plenty for a XC bike. Keep an eye out for Rebas and Sids. Around here its possible to get a Reba fork pretty cheap, Sids too, depending obviously on model features. Don't know how things are around there, but if they're similar you might have a chance!

Isn't there anything like CL or bike e-forums where you can get some insight into the trade? You're fluent in Korean? That would surely help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    200mm what for? That bike isn't intended for all mountain or anything over light trail. Are you a heavy guy? If not 160mm are plenty for a XC bike. Keep an eye out for Rebas and Sids. Around here its possible to get a Reba fork pretty cheap, Sids too, depending obviously on model features. Don't know how things are around there, but if they're similar you might have a chance!

Isn't there anything like CL or bike e-forums where you can get some insight into the trade? You're fluent in Korean? That would surely help!
    I'm not a heavy guy (about 165 lbs now...lost about 40 lbs since I got here haha)...but descents tend to be long and steep here...I overheat my current brakes regularly.

Thanks, I'll see if any stores have those shocks, but I've only seen used forks in one or two shops...Koreans like to buy new and they like to buy expensive haha...it's annoying!

Yeah, there are some forums I'm on as well as CL, but I can't remember the last time a fork went up on CL, and most of it is in Seoul, about 5 hours from me. Unfortunately (and shamefully haha), my Korean is very, very, very limited...too limited, really.

mtbr member
    Didn't take into account the terrain morphology. I'm circa 190lbs and I ride 160mm rotors. I reckon I could even use 140 at the rear but there aren't any for post mounts. In your case, aren't there adapters available?