Quiet Professional

What brakes do you use on your reign and reign x.

I still have not decided on brakes to put on my 2011 reign to replace stock. I am still looking at code r and zee with 203mm. What do you run?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Slower But Faster
    I'm running the standard Elixr CRs that mine came with. The first set were problematic and were swapped out for new set under warranty which have been perfectly reliable for over two years.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Hope M4 Evos and current XTs. Both have been good.

mtbr member
    Hayes Stroker ride.

Cow Clicker
    What do you not like about your Elixer 9s?
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd recommend slx or xt ice tech. Best bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've used Code R's and Saints on my Faith 0 and would say they're both good. However the Saints weren't that much better than the Code R's until I changed out the rotors for an RT-76 front rotor and an RT-86 rear rotor. So I would say the Saints are better if you're willing to invest in RT-76 or RT-86 rotors.

For your Reign I wouldn't go with anything less than a four piston brake. I took the Code R's off the Faith and put them on my 2011 Trance X2 and feel that they're good brakes for that bike. I've modified my Trance X2 with a 140mm fork so it's closer in travel to your Reign,but I the rear travel remains unchanged.

In terms of stopping power you have to remember that suspension travel also effects braking. Even though I have larger rotors on my Claymore (203/180) than my Anthem X3 29er (180/160) the Anthem definitely stops much more quickly on steep descents. Then the 180 Fox 36 is also a much beefier fork with it's wider stanchions so I suspect that this effects braking as well.

Quiet Professional

Re: What brakes do you use on your reign and reign x.

I have reign 2 so they are the shimano m445 and not powerfull enough.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    2010 Reign 2 with SLXs (bumped up from the terrible, stock Avids). I bomb a lot of downhill and the SLXs are great.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Elixir X.0 203mm front, 160mm rear.

2012 RX running a 7" fork, on local trails and at the lifts once in a while.

Works quite well at local stop and start lock things up for trialsy riding, and slowing me down quickly when going mach retarded. Caveat: only about 175# max, all loaded up for riding.

I hear great things about all the new Shimano brakes - if you've only got one bike, they might be a good choice. If you've got other bikes, maybe get the same brand as your other brakes?

We have five bikes in the house, all running Elixir variations - makes it easy to only need one type of spare pads, bleeding kit, fluid/lines/spare parts, and you can swap from one bike to the other nice and easy if need be. I've just stuck with Avid because they have always worked well for me, and haven't given me any trouble or reason to swap. If I did though, would be eyeballing the new Shimano stuff big time.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

May contain nuts
    XT 785. They generally work very well, but do get a bit hot and bothered on lift days...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Stock Elixir R here, Reign 1 2010, swapped to 203F & 180R.
    Already tasted Mega, SuperEnduro, etc...
    Can't complaint about them. The limit is always me :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just built up a used 09 frame using many parts transferred over from my son's old Rainier HT - including the BB7 mechanicals. Took it for a short ride today for the first time, and I gotta say... those old mechs still rock IMHO.

AM.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a pair of XTs for my reign X, the hayes brakes were warn after 4 years of use.