mtbr member

The Weight: Take a load off the fx

So far this bike i changed the tires (took off kenda nevagal and put on conti mtn king 2.4").

Also, pedals changed twice. First change to shimano SPD, then put on BMX pedals for winter snow friendly cycling.

Next I'd like to change rear derailer to LX, and BB7 (at least the front, as I already had issues trying to get front wheel off and on to transport in the car.

The Yukon FX is faily heavy (yes heavier then my old MTB raleigh glacier hardtail), wheelsets and forks don't come cheap, so maybe the LX and BB& upgrades can carry me through for now

Here below are some suggestions I received about the Yukon.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyfan
    You can get a few seasons out of the bike as is. As far as fork, no reason NOT to upgrade, except cost. Just keep travel reasonable so your geometry doesn't suffer. I've seen several Yukons with Pikes up front. Front derailer aint critical at all. Rear I've found LX to be both sturdy and precise enough for anything I'll ever throw at it. As far as it breaking, one would hope the hanger gives first. That's what they are designed to do. I have 5 years on one LX rear, and 10 years on another. Shifters are fine from Deore on up.

Wheels depend on the actual riding you do. No need for FR wheelset on a bike that never sees more than aggressive XC use. No use in ultralight, expensive aluminum spoke wheels unless you're racing, either.

Brakes are also a personal call. My preference is mechanical because of ease of maintenance, especially trailside. I prefer BB7's because of adjustability, power, and especially modulation. Playing with rotor diameter can also yield more tuning ability, whether mech or hydro.

One other option I recommend for a truly versatile AM/trail rig is a drop seatpost. It does wonders for keeping your ride flowing, when you don't have to stop to dick with the QR.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyfan
    http://www.fezzari.com/products/inde...Seatpost/85/42

One of several drop seatposts., and my favorite.

The BB7's are what I run, and I love them. Unlike most mechanicals, they have adjustment for both inboard and outboard pads, which keeps performance dialed. What you want to avoid is squeezing the rotor in to meet the inboard pad. Adjust inboard all the way until it starts to drag, then back it off 1 click. After that, do the same with the outboard pad, and you're set.

Like I said, you can get several seasons as is. The fork would be my first upgrade. I would look for fearures first, before establishing brand. Travel adjust would be my first option. It really opens up tuning options to keep the ride flowing. Another thing to consider is a thru-axel setup. If you want one, you will have to upgrade your front hub at least. Might be better to ride out the Dart until you can afford both at once. Good news is that you can get very decent TA wheelset cheap. The Azonic Outlaw wheelset is a good example. There are alotta options out there, and the more you read up, the better your shopping experience. I won't even get into all the suspension technologies, riding disciplines, etc. If you feel the need to jump on the rear der, go for it. I advise to look into upgrading the cables tho, as that is going to help keep things dialed. An XTR is useless if you can't keep it in adjustment. Good luck bud.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

shifters

The FX has SRAM shifters doesn't it? If you change to a Shimano rear derailleur, you'll also need to change your shifters.....

Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman

So far this bike i changed the tires (took off kenda nevagal and put on conti mtn king 2.4").

Also, pedals changed twice. First change to shimano SPD, then put on BMX pedals for winter snow friendly cycling.

Next I'd like to change rear derailer to LX, and BB7 (at least the front, as I already had issues trying to get front wheel off and on to transport in the car.

The Yukon FX is faily heavy (yes heavier then my old MTB raleigh glacier hardtail), wheelsets and forks don't come cheap, so maybe the LX and BB& upgrades can carry me through for now

Here below are some suggestions I received about the Yukon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

mtbr member

stick with sram????

The FX has SRAM shifters doesn't it? If you change to a Shimano rear derailleur, you'll also need to change your shifters.....
    i believe you are correct

before i bought the fx, i was on a road ride with a dude who does both, and he was telling me about sram and how they make great inexpensive stuff for mtb

so when i bought this entry level mtbfrom giant i was excited that it had sram but was concerned since when i bought my entry level giant road bike (ocr-3), i replaced just about everthing except wheelset [it's not carbon can only go so far]

anyway my mechanic explained to me since i was maintaining two road bikes, shimano goes with shimano (my ocr-3), campy with campy [trek 5900]

on this forum some one recomended lx, i may have taken it out of context, and they probably said to upgrade shifters too

Front derailer aint critical at all. Rear I've found LX to be both sturdy and precise enough for anything I'll ever throw at it. As far as it breaking, one would hope the hanger gives first. That's what they are designed to do. I have 5 years on one LX rear, and 10 years on another. Shifters are fine from Deore on up.
    it looks like i need deore to go with the lx

hopefully i bring the fx to mechanic next week, and let them square it away

i already had one bad experience trying to get parts cheaper online. i purchases come shimano brakes for my giant ocr-3, and they would not fit on this bike, i sent them back.

some stuff even among brands don't match up perfectly, even on my trek 5900 the fork is taperred and from what i understand, most forks will not fix this bike

for now, i'd like to at least get my disc brake issues squared away, when i take off front wheel, i already broke caliper once, now its hard to get wheel dialed in when i try to put it back in (the pads hit the wheel)

macman's fx cooling its mtn king tires @ the defunct avaiary cages of jungle habitat

thank you