mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Weight difference from Lg to Med

I'm right on the cusp of a Medium or Large.

Curious - I bought a Large Reign recently, but found a brand-new Medium front triangle pretty cheap and wondering ... is the weight difference between a Medium and Large anything significant?

I XC this bike quite a bit and actually kinda want to build this to be fairly light, for what it is. And if I can pick that Med frame (again, at 5'9" a Medium is what I'm "supposed" to have anyway) I may, if the weight difference is worth mentioning.

I'm guessing it is probably minuscule, but thought I'd ask if anyone actually knows.

Go Speed Racer
    I would just go with the one that FITS. The difference it weight will not do you any good if the bike does not fit you.

Edit: I guess if you are right on the edge of the two, I would go with the Medium. I would rather have it be slightly too small than slightly too big
    Last edited by mtbdennis; 04-12-2012 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yeah yeah yeah - I know that - but that isn't answering my question.

They both fit. I'm 5'9". I feel good on a Lg and can adjust out a Medium to feel like a large...or more spacious, and I'm good. I have friends that are 5'10" / 5'11" and prefer Mediums, but I just like the bigger, more roomy feel (probably from the MX background)

But, I'm curious about the weight difference. Just curious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's interesting you say your large preference might come from your MX background; I did and still do ride MX and I normally prefer a frame slightly on the smaller size. That being said, I am trying to decide between a medium and large Reign X....

May contain nuts
    5'10" and ride a large TX and medium RX. Both fit for purpose, although I couldn't go any smaller on the RX (have to run a 70mm stem to help with climbing).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I still ride moto & off road too (KTM 250 SX).

Now that I have about 75 miles on this large Reign, I know I have the right size for me (and I'm 5'9"). Super fun bike. The X isn't my thing since I do a lot of XC (excellent cardio training for moto, and I can still bomb downhills and have a lot of fun).