mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. Weight of an '04 AC2

I've looked through Giant's catalog and on their website but I can't find the weight of an AC2 anywhere. No bike shops in the local area stock them and the only person I know who has one, has got a triple clamp fork on it. So I have no way of feeling for myself.

I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I'm getting into pedaling uphill. Can someone please give me an accurate estimate of what this machine weighs. Thanks

Geritol Power

My '03 AC2

Had a RS Psylo XC instead of the Firefly like an '04 but I would think it's close in weight.

34lbs.

It weighs 38lbs now with a '03.5 Z150FR, E-13 bashring, Lock-ons and a bottle cage

Chris
    Last edited by Duzitall; 04-17-2004 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Forgot the E-13

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

weighed ours off the floor @ 36 lbs...

but that is with a generally unreliable scale. Still, it is way beefed up for this year. 6.8 "travel in the rear!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

... and if we just ...

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it difficult to pedal yours uphill. I know its not a xc racer, but its not impossible is it? My rides are usually 8-10 miles with 3-4 miles of uphill work, usually no more than 1 mile at a time. With ski lift action on the weekends. Any opinion if this ride is right for me?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

The bikes pedals as well as any other 35# bike, if not +..

better with the SPV rear. I actually would prefer this bike on many DH courses to the Giant DH due to it's lower weight and overall pedalability. VERY tunable, I have one AC at 28 LBS with air/air (Maverick fork), and one AC at 36 with Coil/coil. If you are looking for one, I do have an 18" 04' available. You are the ideal rider for this bike, BTW. Will climb reasonably well, but will descend WAY better than most DH rigs, truly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

... and if we just ...

Sounds like this is the bike I want. I'm a pretty short dude at 5'7" so I think I'm going to need the 17" version. BTW What's the standover height on the 18" bike you have? My inseam is only 30" so I don't think the 18" is going to work for me and my two close friends. I'd also be interested in pricing. The shop here can order it for me at $2150. Is that competitive?

I really appreciate all of your help. I still can't believe that a bike with all of these capabilities at a weight under 40lbs isn't well known. I see more Specialized Enduros than you can imagine. I just can't wait to bomb past them on one of these beasts.

Thanks again and good luck with your business.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skettio
    Sounds like this is the bike I want. I'm a pretty short dude at 5'7" so I think I'm going to need the 17" version. BTW What's the standover height on the 18" bike you have? My inseam is only 30" so I don't think the 18" is going to work for me and my two close friends. I'd also be interested in pricing. The shop here can order it for me at $2150. Is that competitive?

I really appreciate all of your help. I still can't believe that a bike with all of these capabilities at a weight under 40lbs isn't well known. I see more Specialized Enduros than you can imagine. I just can't wait to bomb past them on one of these beasts.

Thanks again and good luck with your business.
    $2150 is very reasonable, I have a bike shop in Chicago and sell AC2's for $2100.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by ILxcMTNbiker
    $2150 is very reasonable, I have a bike shop in Chicago and sell AC2's for $2100.
    Small world dude. I'm originally from Chi-town. Been in the military now for 12 years, currently stationed in Alubuquerque, NM. The trails there in Palos are nice, but I enjoy real mountains so much more. Hang loose.