mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Warp DS2 crankset and bottom bracket replacement advise.

Howdy all,

I need some help. I have an old Giant Warp DS2 that has seen better days. I love the old bike and lack the funds or desire to replace it. It suits my needs just fine, but over time I've managed to break a lions share of the teeth off of the large chain ring and it's to the point that I need to replace it. The chain rings on the Warp are riveted on so a whole crankset and bottom bracket are in order. I ride it on flat bike trail more than single track so I want to stay with three rings. Can anyone help me figure out what I need for a bottom bracket and crankset? My local dealer wasn't very helpful and I can't afford to their part prices and labor anyway. I'm good with a wrench and not worried about doing the work myself, I just need help figuring out what parts I need. It's pretty hard to find any good info on the bikes specs. All that I can find is that the stock crank set is a Giant alloy 42 32 22 and bottom bracket is unspecified as well a bb shell width. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

"El Whatever"
    BB Shell is 68mm if I recall correctly, English thread for sure. But most outboard bearing BB's are 68-73mm anyways.

The BB you need depends on the crankset you are going to install.

Deore level or Alivio level cranks are quality and will not break the bank. They normally come with the BB included. Should you go for an Octalink or square taper crankset, then the crank specifies which BB you need... but it will be for 68mm shell with English threading.
    Check my Site

Your Best Friend
    You will spend more on the specific tools you need to remove the cranks and BB than your LBS would charge you.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides