mtbr member

Wanting a new bike....help decide

I've owned my 2008 Reign 0 since 2007 and believe I've out grown it. I ride pretty hard in Arizona. Especially South Mountain National Trail - very technical and FUN!

Anyway, it seems my abilities have gone beyond the bikes capabilities and I'm thinking of upgrading. I've changed stuff on my Reign, but NOT the fork. Which everyone says I'm crazy to not ride a 160...but regardless, I've been on the 140.

My next bike will either be a Reign X or Nomad. I'm holding out for a new Reign X design in 2010. But the Nomad and its specs seem to fit the bill perfectly.

Anyone have any ride time on either bike for comparrison?

Others have told me to keep the Reign and just put a 36 on it...I suppose, but the total package seems to be with a new bike.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you have a mostly stock Reign then there are some mods that are cheaper than getting a new bike. They slackened the '09 Reign. Most people would feel the '08 too xc like at 69 degrees, I would put a 36 / 160 / 20mm on there. I did on mine and it changed my ride.

I barely notice more travel, but the stiffness is night and day as well as increase in braking ability on the front. Some sketchy decents before have become somewhat mundane now. I lowered the stem a bit so I did not feel raked out as much.

Two other adjustments could be a new shock 7.875 x 2.25 to yield 6.75" travel and a bolt on rear hub. I find the Reign to pedal up technical stuff incredibly well, and to reward me going down as well. It takes drops much better than my old bike as well.

Good Luck-

Rob

mtbr member
    Hey Jack-

I've actually done quite a bit.

-70mm stem / high rise bar / 2 chainring set up / 819s with Hadley hubs plus bolt on rear

The only thing is no fork up front. I know alot of guys talk about the 160, but I thought it might be best to go to a 160 on a burlier frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I consul buying a new ReignX..............in 2010!
    Buy a nice 36/Lyric/55ATA and longer rear shock as per above if'n you can't control yer inner animal.
    On second thought, the economy's flushing down the toilet as I type. Quick, spend all yer $ on tricking out a new ride.
    We can't make it w/o you...........

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I think I agree with the other guys. Try a 36 on it. Try adding more travel in the back. Basically at that point you have a Reign X without the glory hole, a higher BB, and pretty decent descending abilities, without the weight the Reign X carries with it. Unless you have put some heavier stuff on it. I have a Reign X, I love it, but I'd probably love a tricked out Reign just as much. I can't see how changing your bike is going to change anything. If you're that good, upgrade what you have, start learning how to make that bike better so that it matches your abilities. Just my .02 tho.