siv
    mtbr member

Wait for "09" Reign or buy now?

My main wish would be for a thru axle type fork instead of 140mm Fox with QR. Dont care if its a Fox or not. Seems like theres lots of complaints about Race Face BB's as well. Would like to see some new specs before trying to get an "08". Any insiders out there? Info on Trance X is also welcome although Im leaning toward a Reign.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I heard prices on everything are going up. Petroleum prices + transportations cost are catching up to everyone.

The spec might be better, but it will probably cost more for the same build. Or a lower build for the same price.

2 minutes turkish
    Don't expect it to change much. Although the Reign X will probably loose the pierced downtube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by locustfist
    Don't expect it to change much. Although the Reign X will probably loose the pierced downtube.
    [SIZE=2]Firstly he was talking about the ordinary Reign and secondly unless they surprise us Giant seems to be replacing their off road bikes in the same order they came out so the Anthem and Gory for 09 and the Reign X for 2010.

As for the ordinary Reign there will probably be only minor changes to the spec and geometry, nothing major. Same goes for the Trance X as they were both new for 08.

Race Face BB’s aren’t a big problem, they are much less reliable, well sealed, and smooth than others but it is relatively easy to just whack an XT BB on with the Race Face cranks if you hit any problems.

And prices are set to rise for 09 unless Giant puts cheaper kit on or absorbs the cost themselves.
    [/SIZE]

siv
    mtbr member
    I would think a thru axle fork would be there no? Is Fox even going to make a 140mm with a QR? Maybe I should get a Reign 1 or 2 and just put a Pike or something on it. Whats a Reign 0 go for? My shop has a Reign 1 for $2300 but its a large, felt a little cramped to me. Could you get a lower price on an "08" if you had to order one or is it usually if a shop has them in the showroom too long?
    Last edited by siv; 07-10-2008 at 04:54 AM.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Some shops will give you 10% off but it is already the time where shops start to reduce the stock a bit for 09 stuff so if you have a nice dealer it wouldn’t be that hard to get money off.

And yes something like 65% of bikes running Fox forks will have the 15mm system for 09 so I doubt Giant would not bother, I wonder what hubs they will be using?
    [/SIZE]