mtbr member
    Nov 2004

VT3 stem and handlebar upgrades...

I'm looking to replace my Easton EA50 handlebar and stem but I'm not sure what to get or what even fits...can you guys give me some suggestions?

So far I bought the Thomson Elite seatpost and have looked at the stem made by them also but they don't make a handlebar that matches??? I've also looked at the RaceFace Diabolus series.

I am a newbie as far as working on bikes but have been on trails almost from day one. What size stem and handlebar do I need for a '03 VT3?

Thanks for any help,
    Larry

mtbr member
    It depends on your riding style and posture.

I use a Thomson 70 or 90mm long stem on my VT2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm not sure about my posture...I usually ride singletrack trails or the occasional logging road up here in the NW. I do not do big drops or jumps--one reason I went with the VT3.

I really like the looks of the Thomson Elite...that will fit ok on my bike?

I'll probably just replace the bar and stem with one's that have a similair shape and length because I like the way the bike feels as it is...I just don't like the looks of the EA50's and I figured it's a pretty easy upgrade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I use a 90mm Pro Race stem with 10 degree rise. 100mm stem is the most common. I would not go over 100mm unless you have a fork with good compression damping or you will get too much dive. Easton EA50 is a great product BTW. My bars are the stock EA50's and I think their great.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing that you have a stem with a standard clamp (25.4), if so the Thomson Elite will work just fine. If you went with oversize bars (31.0) you'll need the Thomson X4.

On my VT I use the X4 (90x10 or 70x0) with a Bontrager Big Earl bar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    After talking with my local bike shop pro (been going to them forever), I bought a Thomson Elite 100 length regular clamp with 15 degree so it will make my hands closer to my body. I actually was able to try different angled stems at the bike shop. I also bought a Race Face diabalou (sp?) to go with my new stem...will let ya know how I like them.