Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

VT2, ghost shifting

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  johnnyb 
#1 ·
I have an '03 VT2 Stock. I also am having problems with ghost shifting. I have read all about the NRS's with this problem but have not seen anyone else with a VT talk about it. Would the fix for my VT be the same as the fix for NRS's? Do you think Giant will replace my VT2 frame like they are doing with the NRS's.

I have never been in love before I met my VT2 and I thought that the shifting problem was something I just needed to deal with. Now I see that others are having the same problem. I don't want to give up this bike, but if I can't get it resolved mid way into this season I will be selling the bike.

#3 ·
same ol' story

Fat Tyre Rider said:
What size bike are you on? What exactly is happening? I found on my VT that the rear derailleur housing was too short. Just lengthened it and the problem went away.
I am on a medium frame... As for what is happening, same old story as all the NRS people with the ghost shifting (or as my LBS calls it, go shifting). When I am cranking up a hill or really get on it the chain skips. I have slamed my knees, taken falls, etc. I have had the rear cable lengthened and still the problem is there. I am thinking of going with a solid line and maybe one of those rolermajiger things... though my LBS isn't too into the idea of the rolermajiger... if that dosn't help I was going to upgrat my XT RD to SRAM. If the problem is still there I am going to think about selling the bike....I DON'T WANT TO DO THAT. I love this bike... I thought that my weight played a big role in the problem... I was almost 250lbs at the time... now I am down to 210lbs and the problem is still there.

#4 ·
Fat Tyre Rider said:
What size bike are you on? What exactly is happening? I found on my VT that the rear derailleur housing was too short. Just lengthened it and the problem went away.
Exactly the problem. Take a look at the rear cable housing that should loop into the rear der. It is more than likely not long enough. Same problem on my VT from the factory.

#5 ·
The short housing has been a problem on most VTs purchased. I haven't seen or heard any complains on hand built ones. Change the housing from the seatstay to the rear mech with a longer one (make sure that it has a nice loop) and if possible use XTR cable/housing, it's been working flawlessly on mine with little to no maintenance at all.

#6 ·
DiRt DeViL said:
The short housing has been a problem on most VTs purchased. I haven't seen or heard any complains on hand built ones. Change the housing from the seatstay to the rear mech with a longer one (make sure that it has a nice loop) and if possible use XTR cable/housing, it's been working flawlessly on mine with little to no maintenance at all.
I have had the housing lengthened already. I think I am going to buy a SRAM RD and see if that fixes the problem. I hear it takes more cable movment to shift a SRAM so I think that will be the best move for me. That and I am going to keep hitting the gym 5 days a week. As it is I ride hard, I don't need any extra pounds making the shock work harder then it needs to.

#8 ·
lengthen the housing...

When you visually inspect your rear derailleur, make sure the lower part of the cable housing going into the rear derailleur is as parallel to the chain stay as possible. This keeps friction to a minimum. Also look to see if you are missing the little metal nipple on the other side of the hole of the derailleur that you feed the cable through (this is for an LX. I think most Shimano has this little part you can easily lose. The lost nipple can cause rubbing and actually cut your cable. My loop is about 7-8 inches in length. No problems ever in shifting on my VT1 and I did have a NRS 3, both with LX rears.

A couple of other problems could be a bent rear cassette (XTs are notorious for this) or a bad chain. If your ride is more than 1,000 miles old you could have worn something out too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.