Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,543

    VT vs NRS vs Trance

    OK I was doing a little WWW browsing and came accross some nice deals on both the VT3 and NRS3 frames in my size only - XL - and am seriously thinking that for $400 US for both these frames I couldn't go wrong. With the VT I'd get a nice, more DH oriented bike and the NRS would make an excellent race bike.

    My question is for those of you who have owned one of these bikes and now currently own an Maestro bike..........Is Maestro really so over the top better than these suspension designs that it woudn't be owrth it to get the framessets and build them up over time as funds allow?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    665
    is this in addition to the Trance in your avatar? that'd make a nice collection.

    oh, and the trance has maestro anyway, right? '05 or '06.

    if you're like me, something inside keep bugging you, telling you you must have the latest and greatest. but the practical side of the mind says that there's nothing wrong with the older technology either, particularly if it's for recreational use as opposed to competitive racing. so, 'for fun', i think the older style frames would surely be worth it.

    anyway, not much help here. good luck deciding.

    [size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

  3. #3
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,543
    Yup that would be correct, it would be in addition to my Trance. I figure I have the Trance w/ 4.7" of travel(REBA at 115mm travel, back feels like 5" anyways ), can ride up or down pretty much anything. THen I get these 2 and one is more DH specific and would be built that way and the other a bit on the harsh side, but built striclty for racing (on smooth type stuff of course, I'm too old to take a NRS onto really rough places ) Well if this jobs comes through I've been working on and I can find someone in LA then I may well pull the trigger on them, or maybe on a NRS3 and a Reign3 instead fo the VT

    Quote Originally Posted by shiny_car
    is this in addition to the Trance in your avatar? that'd make a nice collection.

    anyway, not much help here. good luck deciding.

    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    27
    I thought I read something about an 8" travel reign or something... coming out next year or something... if you want something more AM maybe check that out... The other thing is if you like the geometry of the MAESTRO setup then maybe stick with the reign...

  5. #5
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Yup that would be correct, it would be in addition to my Trance. I figure I have the Trance w/ 4.7" of travel(REBA at 115mm travel, back feels like 5" anyways ), can ride up or down pretty much anything. THen I get these 2 and one is more DH specific and would be built that way and the other a bit on the harsh side, but built striclty for racing (on smooth type stuff of course, I'm too old to take a NRS onto really rough places ) Well if this jobs comes through I've been working on and I can find someone in LA then I may well pull the trigger on them, or maybe on a NRS3 and a Reign3 instead fo the VT
    Sounds like you have just a little too much money burning a hole in your pocket.

    Having more bikes is fun. You know that you don't really NEED two more bikes, but i don't think that is the point here.

    I really like my NRS, and you can read my review on it if you like in the appropriate section of this site. (reviews - xc fs - NRS - Ryan from Niagara Falls)

    Myself, i have never been a fan of the VT. Too many pivots for a single pivot bike IMO. More DH specific? You say your trance feels like 5", so how much do you think you will gain by having 5.7"?

    That's all for now.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  6. #6
    AAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEE!!!
    Reputation: carlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    217
    I have a VT and I wouldn't consider it DH specific by any means of the imagination. The geomoetry just isn't that relaxed. I'd say hunt around for something with more travel so there's a real differentiation between it and your trance.

    Given the choice between a trance and a VT, I'd probably ride a trance most days of the week. Hmmmm, maybe I should give my wife's Trance an extended test ride...

  7. #7
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo
    Hmmmm, maybe I should give my wife's Trance an extended test ride...
    Probably
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •