Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Ridin' in XTC!
    Reputation: arrowheadtroutm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    62

    VT versus Trance

    Hi all. Here is my dilemma....I am riding a Giant Warp DS1. It is a rather heavy bike (does anyone know the weight?) and I am going to upgrade. I can either get a used VT1 or VT2 this year, or wait and save more money for a Trance next year. What advantages does the Trance offer to make me wait? If any of you have gone from a VT to Trance, please respond.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    IMBA Canada
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    845
    ... i think you've sent me an e-mail yesterday!

    I'd say it depends more on YOUR riding then on the bike.

    I have a VT last year and now i got a Trance. Both bikes are great, it just happen that the Trance suits my riding better.

    I do XC and climb a lot... which means i ride down also... I ride in places with lots of technical stuff... rocks, roots, stumps... I like to climb but don't love it. I love the downhill part better. However, i use to ride DH a lot on my Intense M1... but now my DH days are over... but i still know how to ride down.

    My main concern with the VT was that it was too much travel for climbing. I didn't need the extra travel for the downhilll... but i did like the plushness of the bike...

    With the Trance the best thing is that it climbs almost as fast as a hardtail and it has ZERO pedal feedback. The worst thing about the VT was the pedal feedback due to the single pivot and the placement of the pivot. In really technical parts, you could feel the pedals being pulled back by the rear wheel... to me, it was the worst.

    On the downhill, i did like the plushness of the VT... but the 100mm of travel on the Trance are perfectly suited for XC use.

    I do like to jump and ride on "shore-type" stunts... the only thing i don't do with the Trance is drop from higher structures (5 feet and higher) but i wouldn't do it on the VT either... unless exceptionnal condition!

    The low BB set makes the Trance a fun bike to ride on the stunts, it's really stable and predictable.

    The FR oriented head angle of the VT makes it a killer bike on the way down... but the bike is hard to steer on steep climb.

    On the flat, both bikes pedal great. In technical climbs and rocky section, the Trance really stands out!

    I woud say:

    Get the VT IF:
    - You have only one bike and enjoy to ride everything with your bike including occasional DH.
    - You want a bike that can do it all
    - You don't mind the bobbing on the climb with your actual ride.
    - You don't intend to race

    Get the Trance IF:
    - You want more performance then the VT
    - You like climbing and your normal ride includes climbing.
    - You want to take part into 24Hr and marathon races.
    - You desire the best suspension available
    - Don't mind spending a couple more $$$ to get a better ride.

    I don't know where you ride but here in Quebec and Northeast Kingdom, the stuff is pretty technical... nothing like the fast trails California, Utah, Moab and such... We have mud, we have roots, we have lots of climbing in technical trails (sometimes hiking trails)

    Location also changes the kind of bike you need...

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danmtchl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJay
    ... i think you've sent me an e-mail yesterday!

    I'd say it depends more on YOUR riding then on the bike.

    I have a VT last year and now i got a Trance. Both bikes are great, it just happen that the Trance suits my riding better.

    I do XC and climb a lot... which means i ride down also... I ride in places with lots of technical stuff... rocks, roots, stumps... I like to climb but don't love it. I love the downhill part better. However, i use to ride DH a lot on my Intense M1... but now my DH days are over... but i still know how to ride down.

    My main concern with the VT was that it was too much travel for climbing. I didn't need the extra travel for the downhilll... but i did like the plushness of the bike...

    With the Trance the best thing is that it climbs almost as fast as a hardtail and it has ZERO pedal feedback. The worst thing about the VT was the pedal feedback due to the single pivot and the placement of the pivot. In really technical parts, you could feel the pedals being pulled back by the rear wheel... to me, it was the worst.

    On the downhill, i did like the plushness of the VT... but the 100mm of travel on the Trance are perfectly suited for XC use.

    I do like to jump and ride on "shore-type" stunts... the only thing i don't do with the Trance is drop from higher structures (5 feet and higher) but i wouldn't do it on the VT either... unless exceptionnal condition!

    The low BB set makes the Trance a fun bike to ride on the stunts, it's really stable and predictable.

    The FR oriented head angle of the VT makes it a killer bike on the way down... but the bike is hard to steer on steep climb.

    On the flat, both bikes pedal great. In technical climbs and rocky section, the Trance really stands out!

    I woud say:

    Get the VT IF:
    - You have only one bike and enjoy to ride everything with your bike including occasional DH.
    - You want a bike that can do it all
    - You don't mind the bobbing on the climb with your actual ride.
    - You don't intend to race

    Get the Trance IF:
    - You want more performance then the VT
    - You like climbing and your normal ride includes climbing.
    - You want to take part into 24Hr and marathon races.
    - You desire the best suspension available
    - Don't mind spending a couple more $$$ to get a better ride.

    I don't know where you ride but here in Quebec and Northeast Kingdom, the stuff is pretty technical... nothing like the fast trails California, Utah, Moab and such... We have mud, we have roots, we have lots of climbing in technical trails (sometimes hiking trails)

    Location also changes the kind of bike you need...

    Hope this helps!
    The Giant Warp weighs in at 1 ton. J/K. The New Trances will cost $200.00 more thank to our friends at Shimano. All higher end bikes will cost at least that this year. I would go with the an 05 and save a few bucks. The parts are basiclly the same as last year. A few upgrades but nothing really special. As Bigjay stated location always is a factor.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    29
    I own both a Trance and a VT. I must say that I totally agree with BigJay's analysis!

    Using automobile as metaphor:

    VT is like a Toyota Prado

    Trance is like a BMW X5


  5. #5
    Ridin' in XTC!
    Reputation: arrowheadtroutm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    62
    Well...sounds like you guys are confirming what I suspected. Thanks so much for your input. Firsthand experience is much better than rave reviews from folks who have never really ridden both bikes!

  6. #6
    Ridin' in XTC!
    Reputation: arrowheadtroutm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    62
    Thanks again all...will save the $$$ for a Trance 2. What changes are coming for 2006?

  7. #7
    Don't be a sheep
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,383
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowheadtroutm
    Hi all. Here is my dilemma....I am riding a Giant Warp DS1. It is a rather heavy bike (does anyone know the weight?) and I am going to upgrade. I can either get a used VT1 or VT2 this year, or wait and save more money for a Trance next year. What advantages does the Trance offer to make me wait? If any of you have gone from a VT to Trance, please respond.

    Thanks.
    Biggest determiner, you can drop the seat for technical downs on the Trance.
    "Do not touch the trim"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,110
    Basically, get the Trance if you want an XC-ish bike, the VT is more "all-mountain" -- a more apt comparison would be the VT to the Reign

  9. #9
    Johny Sokko!
    Reputation: Stoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposado Man
    Basically, get the Trance if you want an XC-ish bike, the VT is more "all-mountain" -- a more apt comparison would be the VT to the Reign
    If you are used to the VT, you will love the Reign!!! It is the Trance and VT rolled into one!
    Unless your are a really long distance rider (50+ miles per ride), the Reign would be perfect! I wanted a Trance, but the more I test rode the Reign, the more I liked it. I would only suggested to get a Manitou SPV fork or Pike to help with out of the seat climbing.

    Stoner

  10. #10
    Ridin' in XTC!
    Reputation: arrowheadtroutm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    62
    Well...I guess I fall more into XC. I bought the Warp because the price was right (used model) and I didn't realize all the variety. I have never done more than 12-18" drops; I enjoy riding singletrack and cinder track. I even do some pavement riding. So I think the Trance is more my style.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3490
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 05:11 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 05:27 PM
  3. 03 VT help
    By Mr. VT in forum Giant
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 04:37 AM
  4. Epic Trance Rides Yet?
    By KERKOVEJ in forum Giant
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 11:44 PM
  5. Race that VT
    By Andy © in forum Giant
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 06:52 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •