Thread: VT tires

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

VT tires

What are you guys running on your VTs? I currently have Fire XC tubesless and want something with more volume. I'm in the mid Atlantic so I need a good all purpose tire. How wide of a tire will fit in a Vt with a Minute up front?

mtbr member
    I'm putting some Weirwolfs' on next week. Heard those are great with the VT (and any trail bike)

Reviewer/Tester
    I'm runing IRC Trailbears 2.25's front and rear. Big chunky tires with huge amounts of grip.

Hard to get them though. Not many retailers sell them any more.

I dont care about weight in the tires, I just want them to hang on no matter what..

I'm happy with the way they work on my VT-2.

R.

mtbr member
    Currently using Tioga Factory XC 1.9 both F/R. I took them with me when I sold my HT and swap it with the VT's original Huts tyres, co's there crap

I like the Tioga's, though I am soon to try others and see what they like?
    From my research, the Maxxis, WTB Weirwolf, Panaracer, Tioga, Ritchey & Mitchelin are all pretty good

XC rider/racer
    Manitou forks with the reverse arch will take at least a 2.4" tyre.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I took the " hutchison scorpions " off my vt and they will not be going back on any time soon ( utter crap ) and am now running " WTB mutanoraptors ( got for free ) and they seem a bit better than the scorpions , but will be looking inot some thing better when money permits .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyknee
    I took the " hutchison scorpions " off my vt and they will not be going back on any time soon ( utter crap ) and am now running " WTB mutanoraptors ( got for free ) and they seem a bit better than the scorpions , but will be looking inot some thing better when money permits .

That's nice...http://www.wtb.com/images/images_big/mutanoraptor.jpg
    Can't wait to get a new set of tyres later-on this year

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I am prety torn on tires right now myself. I am not happy with the stock scorpions. I have only had one ride on them, but just looking at them they have no tread depth and did feel a bit squirley.

On my HT I run a old combo (old bike..) Specialized cannibal 2.2 rear and Panaracer Dart HC 2.1 front. they booth hook really well to me, but I worry about weight a litle bit as I rmemeber the rear tire feeling like it had a bit of drag to it, course it also did VERY well slowing me down when I got on the brakes hard...

Do any of you have any experience with these on newer bikes? I have one of each out on my HT and was thinking about swapping them out. I have a bunch of other tires, but they are all thinner 1.95's and I think it would be best to stay with a fatter tire to absord the abuse I plan on leveling at my FS bike.. I might just go ahead and do a swap right now!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '93 DB Ascent HT, Manitou front shock, XT Der's, SRT500's, SS7 with 987's
    '04 Giant VT3, bone stock

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well, I don;t think I loike at least the rear tire on the VT. THe big tread seems to wonder a bit and when combined with the rear suspension the rear end feels like it is flopping around at times on fire roads. Traction was really good, both climbing and braking. I might leave the Dart up front (though I need to find why it is making the tube leak already) and find another tire in the back, maybe a WW? What size would you guys recommend for XC riding? I was thinking the 2.3 or 2.5 probably. I am riding a VT3 so I am not a weight weenie and a steel heavy casing is fine with me, though I don't need a DH tire.
    '93 DB Ascent HT, Manitou front shock, XT Der's, SRT500's, SS7 with 987's
    '04 Giant VT3, bone stock

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i got a VT3... and have found the scorpions to be utter crap on the back but seem to work reasonably well as a front tyre... i'm a heavy guy @ about 100kg+

anyway, i went out and bought some mutanoraptors, they are heavier but heaps more stable... i find them even ok for commuting....

overall, i hae been very impressed with the mutanoraptors.. they roll well once up to speed and they grip good too

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had 2.4 Mutanoraptors on my hardtail before and liked them, until therre was mud, when they packed up quickly. I have a pair of Python UST for very dry\gravel path type riding, so I am looking for something to with a little more pronounced tread for sloppier conditions...the Scorpion was alright in the front, but would slip too much in the back when wet due to the shallow tread depth. The Fire XCs are not bad either but I am looking for more width, as the 2.1 Fires are narrower than the 2.0 Scorpions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CJLED
    I had 2.4 Mutanoraptors on my hardtail before and liked them, until therre was mud, when they packed up quickly. I have a pair of Python UST for very dry\gravel path type riding, so I am looking for something to with a little more pronounced tread for sloppier conditions...the Scorpion was alright in the front, but would slip too much in the back when wet due to the shallow tread depth. The Fire XCs are not bad either but I am looking for more width, as the 2.1 Fires are narrower than the 2.0 Scorpions.
    mmm... i have heard good things about the python... expensive, but i may try it out

in sydney, we rarely have rain, so mud is hard to find.... we usually have dry dusty or rocky conditions

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hutchinson Spiders

I'm going to give these a shot. 2.3 UST are on sale for $30 a piece, so not too bad if they don't work out for me

mtbr member

Hutchinson Scorpions and Maxxis Minotaur Combo

I have been running a couple of different set-ups on my 04 VT 2:

1. Hutchinson Scorpions front and rear for dry conditions

2. Hutchinson Scorpion front and Maxxis Minotaur 1.9 full knob for wet conditions

3. Maxxis Minotaurs front and rear for really wet conditions or for full on xc course.

I guess I am using up the original tires but haven't found them to be to bad. They are nice and light. Will probably buy a set of Nokian NBX's next.

mtbr member
    I'm using Scorpions 2.3f/2.0r and my only complain is that they suck on wet surfaces, other than that they're ok.

Has anyone tried a big volume tire on the rear? I don't think that a 2.3 Scorpion will fit.

mtbr member
    Just finished a ride with a new set of Hutchinson Spider 2.1's, loved the tire. Sticks real well on hardpack and corners very well, the only downside is that they wonder a bit on loose terrain.

mtbr member
    Just both 2 Panaracer Fire for a bargain AUD~$24 each. I was going to try WTB Weirwolf but I got these instead.
    Anyway, will put them on this week and see what happens co's my Tioga is just about had it, specially the rear tyre.

mtbr member
    Just put some Weirwolfs on and they're great! It's a night and day difference between these and my old Pythons. Though these tires are supurb on the trail, concrete is a different story. Kinda scary on concrete actually!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    Just both 2 Panaracer Fire for a bargain AUD~$24 each. I was going to try WTB Weirwolf but I got these instead.
    Anyway, will put them on this week and see what happens co's my Tioga is just about had it, specially the rear tyre.
    All I can say for Panaracer Fire Pro tyre is WOW....!
    I can't wait to try WTB Weirwolf next but for now, I'm going to buy 2 more sets of Panaracer tyres

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Spider 2.3 clearance

is a bit tight in the back, may very well pack up in the mud, we'll see. So far they are pretty nice...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've got mine a bit more FR orientated with Maxxis 2.5 Minion up front and 2.35 High roller on the rear. Hooks up real nice.