Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VT Thread

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

VT Thread

Well since I am stuck with mine for a while, I thought I would start a VT thread.

For starters here is a link to a frame, shock and headset 04 model in all the sizes and 2 colors for only $299. I have not been to the shop. They say walk ins only so you have to live in Southern CA or at least visit here. And I thought Igot a deal at $399.
    http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetai...=39&sort=Price

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey, be happy! This bike is supposedly fantastic (I'll be able to confirm soon, I'm building mine over the next couple months). I got mine for the same price - have you had any troubles building it up? This thread might be useful as a guide to those building theirs from a frame.
    For example, a lot of people ask about the seatpost size:
    I know the seatpost is 30.9 mm (some say 30.8 works too).

The trouble I'm having is figuring out what kind of front derailleur I need.
    So far I have a Minute 1, Crossride wheelset, Avid mechanical brakes and that's it.
    Anyone willing to give advice on building a complete bike from the frame?

MBAA!
    ...too bad you cant order online! I would have bought one (or two). There are a lot of good VT deals out there, ive seen the frame with rear shock for 200$.

Im highly considering getting a VT. I would probably get a fork and most componets off ebay, and she would be sitting pretty next to my NRS!
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

MBAA!
    I dont think I would ever go SS. Moreover, never on my NRS. Shes too great geared, every terrain, hill, descent... its all perfect. Im probably going to have to wait until after my birthday (jan.17) to buy a vee tee. Im getting the frame possibly for christmas, fork for my birthday, everything else out of pocket. I might now though... 600$ is pricey and thats assuming I get the frame at 250$ and fork at 150$ and everything else at 200$...
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    Well since I am stuck with mine for a while, I thought I would start a VT thread.

For starters here is a link to a frame, shock and headset 04 model in all the sizes and 2 colors for only $299. I have not been to the shop. They say walk ins only so you have to live in Southern CA or at least visit here. And I thought Igot a deal at $399.
    http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetai...=39&sort=Price
    you were so stoked on the bike not long ago and now you're "stuck" with it?

MBAA!
    Im sure what he meant to say is that "I appreaciate this bike very much and am glad I have it."

mtbr member
    I just took a 2004 VT3 out for a demo ride last week. I Had a 2003 Stumpjumper FSR and found that while i am not an overly aggressive rider, my considerable weight was slowly wearing out my bike. In particular the rear triangle. I really liked the way the VT felt and in particular the fact that i had no bobbing at the rear yet a super plush ride. The weight difference between the two bikes is minimal, with the lighter bike being the VT! The weak link on the VT3 is the uber soft Black fork, i just purchased a REBA TEAM a month ago so no problem there. I decided to buy it and swap the fork over. I can't wait to try it out! Unfortunately we just got 4 inches of snow last night.
    I think overall the VT is a decent bike for bigger XC type riders as it seems to pedal better than my Stumpy and the frame seems very strong.
    I was originally looking at the frame deal at wheelworld but was then looking at the whole bike deal there for 999 as well. I am in Canada and that is a far better price than the LBS, but after the demo, i got the price worked down enough to make it worth buying local (gotta support the LBS!). The owner is a great guy and he let me have the bike for cost, he even swapped the parts around for me for only a few bucks.
    Any suggestions on good rubber for this beast? I hear the stock scorpions are a bit questionable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just cause I am stuck with it doesn't mean I don't like it.

I just can't afford to be a member of the bike of the month club!

I really enjoy the bike and like the way I have it set up.

Fork: Zokes XC run in 120mm mode.

Brakes: Avid Mechanicals. Like them

30.8 post since that was stamped on the shim that came out of it.

I use high rise bars and bar ends.

MBAA!
    Just cause I am stuck with it doesn't mean I don't like it.

I just can't afford to be a member of the bike of the month club!
    Know how that feels. Although if I had the choice of my NRS or any other Giant bike, I would take the NRS any day of the week.

I might start taking to my LBS about getting a VT1 or Reign 3.

mtbr member
    If i can get out on the VT anytime soon i will report back how it compares. After the demo i was impressed enough to buy it. I can only afford one bike so it has to be able to do it all. I think the VT fits into that better than the Stumpy does. As i said i think i am just too heavy for the Stumpjumper (about 230lbs.). It was dificult to try and tune the rear shock as i needed to run about 250psi. It didnt have any pro pedal and the bob was noticeable. I think i was actually flexing the rear triangle under heavy chain loads as it always felt like it was binding up.

mtbr member
    I was running around 205 in the main and 120 in the SPV chamber. It felt pretty good but it was really muddy and slick the day i tested it so it was hard to benchmark it against the Stumpy.
    But as i said before i found it pedalled very well and was very plush feeling. It had the Black comp (no adjustments other than travel and i left that at 120mm). The black felt pretty good except when i was hard on teh brakes, she would dive rather badly.
    I wanna give her a good and proper ride now that my reba is on there set at 115mm. I am keeping the rubber from my stumpy as an extra set (RollX front Fast track pro rear) for drier conditions.
    Justy hope we get some dry cool weather soon!

mtbr member
    488mm at 115mm so it is very close.
    It should feel better than teh Black because i will be riding higher in the travel. I sagged the black way too much.
    Lots of tuning ahead!

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by granny.gear
    Heh, anybody got VT pic's... action shots, build shots???
    Not recent but you get the picture.

The XMax and Black fork were replaced by a Minute 3 and X3.1/JuJu wheelset. The XMax and Black are on my singlespeed.

Not me but is my VT. Since singlespeeding full time the VT is a loaner bike/dust collector.

Nice pics Dirt Devil.

She's a bit meaner looking with the Minute... longer legged.

Out of curiousity, is the VT night riding with no lights ? Or extremely dense tropical vegetation!
    Dense vegetation late in the afternoon, the bottle holder is there to hold the battery for night riding.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Picked up one of those $299 VT frames from Wheel World recently. I've have out ridden my XC bike and wanted to build up a 5" travel trail bike.

Below are some build pics of it just before I finished running all the cables.

In the past I have ridden: Specialized FSRxc, Santa Cruz Superlight, Jamis Dakar, Giant AC and my recently retired KHS 304.

By far, this VT is the best riding bike of all the bikes I have ridden. I am fan of the SPV technology. I don't mind the fancy single pivot rear design of the VT. Having coming from an Horst bike before, I don't really notice any negative characteristics of the rear suspension. The benefits of the SPV rear shock more than makes up riding a Horst bike with just a regular Fox Float rear shock IMO, but that's just my take on it.

I set up my SPV pressure pretty high because I like a firm ride, like a nice old BMW

I find that the Minute up front and VT's Swinger in the rear make this bike a snappier handling bike. I launch off of logs and 2 footers with alot less effort than the other bikes that I used to ride.

Nothing special with my build, just basic stuff that I have found to work out well for my style and weight. Only things noteworthy are:
    - Minute 1 fork
    - Raceface Evolve XC (x-type BB)
    - Sunrace thumbie friction shifters

Have not done the bathroom scale weighing in yet. But my guess is it's around 32-34 pounds.

I do plan on replacing the Deore/RhynoLite wheels with XT/717 wheels, which should shed about 400 grams and replace the DH tires with some Mutanoraptors, which should shed another 400 grams. So there's about 2 pounds to lose here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Well since I am stuck with mine for a while...
    I would hardly refer to riding a VT as being stuck

It's a nice ride. True it's not a Trance, Blur or an Iron Horse DW link bike, but it's still a worthy ride.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    488 will be nimble handling. I seem to run much more sag in the back than the front. I keep the SPV air pressure up high in my fork.... keep the front solid and no dive, but very little sag . I seem to do one setting in leave it for ages.... think I should be a bit more adventurous with my settings.
    I also run pressure high in my SPV chambers. I like the firmer ride and reduced fork dive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    I would hardly refer to riding a VT as being stuck

It's a nice ride. True it's not a Trance, Blur or an Iron Horse DW link bike, but it's still a worthy ride.

Out doing a Thankgiving weekend ride with the daughter and nephews. One way mostly downhill ride of about 12 miles. My 14 year old nephew was on my old KHS and I on the VT. Well at least he was impressed with my ability to corner faster but by the end of the ride he got the hang of it and it got too scaring staying with him. Dang kids. We took care of him on the short uphills though!

I wanted a long travel (for me) single pivot bike and the VT delivers. I like it better than my friend's jeckle and prophet. AT 5.75 inches of travel it takes so much more than a 4 inch travel bike. Very happy with it. It would be fun to buy another cheap VT frame and make it as light as possible with a rear lockout along with front lock out. But too much money for my blood and by the time you make it rideable you add 2 to 6 pounds anyways.

My next project is a light weight 29er softride with a decent fork on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ugghh! VT's weren't meant to see the rear end of a KHS downhill!!!! Glad you like your VT... you just can't go wrong with one, heh.

Why a 29er?
    Well I am faster on my VT and the control and comfort factor is much greater too than my KHS BUT when you are riding against a "better" rider, you better not let all that suspension lead to a high speed crash! The nephew is on a bike all the time doing jumps and skids and what not. Wheelies, nose wheelies, you get the picture.

The grin on his face when he was on a better bike than at home and on a real mountain bike ride instead of urban riding was worth getting beat!

Another reason for my going with more suspension travel as I get older, is it gives me more margin for error, is more comfortable and it makes night riding easier.

29?? Well, been reading that forum and it sounds interesting. It won't happen any time soon. Probably would have to get Otis Guy to do a custom one. My old softride doesn't have suspension ready geometry, and I would like to run at least a 100mm fork. I would go with disc brake mounts too.

So Granny where do you live in Australia??

mtbr member

LX or XT

I'd go with an XT front derailleur.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoosand
    Hey, be happy! This bike is supposedly fantastic (I'll be able to confirm soon, I'm building mine over the next couple months). I got mine for the same price - have you had any troubles building it up? This thread might be useful as a guide to those building theirs from a frame.
    For example, a lot of people ask about the seatpost size:
    I know the seatpost is 30.9 mm (some say 30.8 works too).

The trouble I'm having is figuring out what kind of front derailleur I need.
    So far I have a Minute 1, Crossride wheelset, Avid mechanical brakes and that's it.
    Anyone willing to give advice on building a complete bike from the frame?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Not recent but you get the picture.

The XMax and Black fork were replaced by a Minute 3 and X3.1/JuJu wheelset. The XMax and Black are on my singlespeed.

Not me but is my VT. Since singlespeeding full time the VT is a loaner bike/dust collector.
    Dude! A Warp can be the perfect loaner/dust collector/towel holder... You'd rather ship your VT down to Mexico where it can have a happy life climbing nice trails and descending twisty singletrack... I can ship you my Warp for you have a loaner.

You bastid!! How you dare to keep such a terrific bike as a loaner!!

Congrats! Lucky one!
    Check my Site

Your wish is my command

Heh, anybody got VT pic's... action shots, build shots???
    Some action pics from today's ride

How often do you guys ride, any drops or jumps?
    I don't do any jumps or drops, everytime I tried I end up with a face full of dirt. I try to ride about 4 times a week, most of the rides on my geared roadie but squeeze a trail ride once in a while.

What's the temps this time of year in Peurto Rico?
    Temps change frequently in the tropics, today was low 90's but the trail is near the coast and some sections are more hot due to the lack of vegetation.

Were you on your SS... what is the SS build?
    My SS is a Kona Unit

Details on this thread on the Kona forum.

Heh, would you SS your VT ?
    No, a chain tensioner will be required which I don't like.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    When I went from Hardtail to VT I went over the bars a bit too often for my liking. My skills couldn't pilot the VT properly (still no luck, although I itch for a Reign.. which I'm sure would put me in hospital!). I'm advancing in age and it now hurts to go over the bars. I'm in Tasmania. Where are you?

Never looked at the 29er forum. I occasionally look at the SS and it gives me the itch (the itch you can't afford). I'm hoping to find a use road bike first.

I guess the 29 gives more ground clearance and the longer wheelbase gives much more stability. Faster with the taller wheels too?

Back on topic, should we setup a poll on this thread to see who uses 5" or 5.75" setting and what percentage of use???

Well slow down the speed on the VT and just enjoy the nice ride.

They talk about 29er wheels having more traction for climbing and rolling over the standard trail junk more efficiently. I am short so it would not be ideal for me like a bigger guy. I think big guys should look at 29er bikes.

Live in a small mountain town in southern california with lots of great rides.

Only have used 5.75 inch setting. With this bike go for the max. That is why I got it.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Finally added the final parts to my VT.

Out went: Deore/Rhynolites wheels, Deore Cassette & Tioga DH tires.

Replaced with: XT/717 wheels, XT Cassette, WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 tires

Final weight is now 30.5 pounds using the bathroom scale technique.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    8 speed or 9 speed? Out of curiosity, are those thumbies any good when things get rough?
    The thumbies are 9 speed friction.

They can be a bit of a chore on downhills, but I have gotten used to them after years of riding with them. I shift into gear before descending. It's not terribly difficult because I never need to do a wide range shift from say the 34t down to the 16t, which would require a long lever throw on the thumbies. I usually only need to shift 1 to 2 cogs at a time, so it's short flick of the lever.

Overall, I am happy with the VT. I know it's old news and the virtual pivot stuff is rage right now, but th VT works for me and I do think it's a worthy ride, especially for the $300 USD that I paid for the frame new.

"El Whatever"
    8 speed or 9 speed? Out of curiosity, are those thumbies any good when things get rough?
    They are not that difficult... best/woth thing is that you either have a lot of chain rub or none at all, depending how good you're shifting.

Indexed systems are simply better... I had enough from thumbies when they were "new school".
    Check my Site

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    No doubt, index is way better.

These Sunrace shifters have quasi index feel to them in that there are two click sounds when shifting, so all I have to do is listen to the clicks and I have precise shifting.

I have some SRAM Rocket shifters in the parts bin, will probably throw those on if I get frustrated with these thumbies.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    I ride an XT front der, but only because it was on clearance and I needed a bottom pull/top swing model. My older LX and Alivio front ders have always been reliable and problem free.

I ride XTR mechs with XT shifters, super reliable.

MBAA!
    I ride Deore shifters and Deore front mech. They exceed my abilities.
    Deore is very good... I concur. Any Shimano below that is a POS in my opinion, ive never had a problem with Deore but Alivio, Altus, those sort of derraillers dont hold a tune and are of poor quality. Stick to Deore or go SRAM. XT and XTR are good, but SRAM is the best for your money. Unless you like RR

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by en are es
    Deore is very good... I concur. Any Shimano below that is a POS in my opinion, ive never had a problem with Deore but Alivio, Altus, those sort of derraillers dont hold a tune and are of poor quality. Stick to Deore or go SRAM. XT and XTR are good, but SRAM is the best for your money. Unless you like RR
    I thought much like that until I got stuck with Alivio shifters and FD.... get the job done. No much tuning to make, to be sincere.

Deore is the champion of value. Period.
    Check my Site

MBAA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    I thought much like that until I got stuck with Alivio shifters and FD.... get the job done. No much tuning to make, to be sincere.

Deore is the champion of value. Period.
    Well... I guess the new Alivio is better, im basing my experience on the 2000 year. I think it might be Altus actually.

Deore is good, I totally agree.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Buy one of those cheap dial angle finders.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Great pics... thanks for that. Good seeing the customs built up.

With the flats and fat tyres you must be 'riding' the VT. Anybody who likes it stiff up front is up to something ... what sort of drops have you done on her, and you think she will survive?
    Ha, I don't plan on doing anything crazy on the VT. Just fun trail riding. I like flat pedals, just a preference. The firm shock settings is because I prefer it over a soft sponge like ride, especially when I stand up on the bike and sprint. Fat tires were just temporary tires while waiting for my Mutanoraptors to arrive.

I am going to buildup a beefier bike for all the play stuff like drops and street stuff. Eyeing an Enduro SX 4x frame for that stuff.

I dig the VT. Glad I picked up the frame, only a few left at that clearance price at Wheel World.

mtbr member
    i'm thinking flat black with a silver accent where the crease on the top tube is

mtbr member
    The Aus 05 VT 1 matt black is attached below. It looks good except the decals.
    yeah, remove the tassle-like scallops (what was that olympic "sport" involving gymnastic dancing with a stick with a tassle on the end...), the logo's are ok. the crease in the top tube is what i'd accent (fill with color, silver or white). if at all.

that's 10 times better looking as is than my shamu.

or strip it and polish it. nothing better than good ol polished aluminum.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Out curiosity...

Is anyone here running 700c wheels/tires for road riding on their VT?

I commute to work and was thinking about picking up a set cheapie 700 disc wheelset. Wondering about maximum tire size.

mtbr member
    Come to think it it, it does look like a gymnastics ribbon !! Polish... there's a thought. The SC Nomad looks trick all polished up! Your idea with the black sounds good but just can't get my head around it. Maybe some clever person can do this with a photo?

drunkle, what do you think of the UK VT kaki look (05 models on Giant UK)?
    uh... did a bird crap on the top tube? my god. giant needs to stop having the engineers or their kids do the graphic design.

take a look at your frame, there's a crease line on the top tube in the middle of each side that goes from the seat almost to the head. fill just that crease with color to offset the flat black. i think it'd work since it follows the frame's curves, it's simple, it's a natural highlighting of the metal work, it's not overdone or gaudy like the existing graphics. it's still a flowy, curvy line, but being muted, would accent the bike, break the monotony of a pure color scheme while not being overpowering.

i think... a photochop would help.

or... flat black with von dutch, hotrod style pinstriping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sizing question?

Does anyone know the height range for the medium 18.5" VT frame? Can someone about 5'7 fit on it? Thanks.

MBAA!
    Quote Originally Posted by synkronized23
    Does anyone know the height range for the medium 18.5" VT frame? Can someone about 5'7 fit on it? Thanks.
    Im around your height, and im 90% sure a 18.5" frame would do you fine.

mtbr member
    drunkle, I had a good laugh at your response mate. I wasn't game to say I didn't like the UK Kaki.

I think Giant is starting to get its act together after about 3 or so years of funny striped designs on just about every MTB frame.

Is is expensive to polish a frame? See the attached Aus 05 VT2 (ignore gaudy stripes), as its a polished look.
    yeah, the new bikes (reign/trance) look nice out of the box.

a custom cycle painting company near me quotes $275 for strip, polish and clear coat. i've stripped a motorcycle gas tank using automotive paint/adhesive remover, a variety of brushes, emery cloths and scouring pads and alot of sweat. the tank was a simple shape without many nooks and crannies. a bike frame might be a bit much especially with the trussed support/rocker. but the upshot being, it's cheap to try and if you get sick/tired of it, you can still send it to a shop.

other shops you might try; chrome plating, furniture restoration, regular auto painter, auto restoration/metal working... can't think of others. get them to tank/strip the frame (without etching it) or bead blast it. take it home and polish it yourself.

18.5" generally suites 5'9" to 5'11"

I'm 5'8" and ride 16.5". But, I have long torso and short legs so I feel a tad cramped. Standover is just right.

If your not worried about standover, the bigger frame will allow you to shorten the stem (I like short stems) to suite. A 75mm stem would be spot on on 18.5" frame.
    I'm also 5'8" and ride a 16.5", I went with the small due to the high standover on the VT mostly.

Use a setback post and a 90mm stem and feel fine.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    I am 5'10" with a 31" inseam. I ride the 18.5" frame with a 80mm stem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    5'8", on a medium, straight seat post, 40mm stem = stable and maneuverable at the same time

mtbr member
    anyone thought about replacing their suspension bearings with self lubricating bronze bushings? maybe lose some weight that way? gain some stiffness?

mtbr member

Swinger Flip

I thought I'd share an idea I've tried which helps with the seatpost clearance issue on VTs using a Swinger 4-way shock. Normally the bike comes set up with the SPV chamber at the top of the shock, I inverted (turned upside down for you folks in Rio Linda) the 4-way which set the SPV chamber at the bottom end of the shock and gave me another 1 1/2" of clearance. A bonus was that it made all the setting nobs and schrader valves more accessable and helps keep dirt washed off the seals. making this switch will involve switching bushings but it fairly easy.

Has anyone else tried this?

mtbr member
    What is teh eye to eye and stroke measurements of the stock 3 way for the VT?
    I have a lead on a decent deal for a 4 way. It is a 7 7/8 2 inch strock. Is this correct?
    Thanks
    Ask me About O Rings (Check the Classified section)

MBAA!
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    I thought I'd share an idea I've tried which helps with the seatpost clearance issue on VTs using a Swinger 4-way shock. Normally the bike comes set up with the SPV chamber at the top of the shock, I inverted (turned upside down for you folks in Rio Linda) the 4-way which set the SPV chamber at the bottom end of the shock and gave me another 1 1/2" of clearance. A bonus was that it made all the setting nobs and schrader valves more accessable and helps keep dirt washed off the seals. making this switch will involve switching bushings but it fairly easy.

Has anyone else tried this?
    That is, from what I can tell, a farily well known trick. But a great one none the less.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004

Weekend photo

I went for a nice ride on clear windy day here in S. California on the VT. Shot this sloppily put together panoramic stitched photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast