Thread: VT owners...

mtbr member

VT owners...

I am going to order a new RaceFace Evolve XC stem and I would like to get the same dimensions as the factory models... Can anyone tell me what length to get? 90, 100, 110 or 120mm? (+/- 6 degree rise).

I've been pulling my hair out for the past month on trying to decide if I should upgrade a few parts on my '03 VT1 or buy a used '05 Trance1... After driving my wife crazy, I've come to the conclusion to just upgrade my VT. Not that there's anything wrong with the Trance 1, but I'm a bit leary as to why they changed the frame design (already!) and I'm not too fond of losing an extra 1" rear travel (I know RP3 is sweet) and I just can't bring myself to drop $2300 on a slightly used bike... bsides, I was going to sell off the Crossmax SL wheelset (I don't race).

Current setup:

Titec bar/stem/post
    RaceFace Prodigy XC ISIS cranks
    XT fr/rr derailleur/cassette (old)
    LX shifters
    Swinger 4-Way
    Avid mech disc brakes
    WTB Rocket saddle
    Manitou Minute 1:00 fork
    SUN SingleTrack XT disc wheelset
    Panaracer Trailblaster fr/rr tires

Upgrades:

RaceFace Evolve XC bar/stem/post
    XT Hollowtech II cranks
    XT fr/rr/derailleur cassette (new)
    XT shifters
    Swinger 3-Way

I know the Swinger 3-Way is actually a downgrade, but I've never adjusted the SPV volume chamber on the 4-Way and I had to shorten the old Titec seatpost to make it fit and I want to use the RaceFace setpost without having to shorten it. All in all, I should also shed 1-2 pounds off the bike as well... Now I just need to get a lighter wheelset (was thinking of Mavic 717 XT disc)

I guess this would be similar to the '05 Aussie VT1... (since they are still producing the VT overseas)

Give me your thoughts... Or should I sell and get the Trance1? hehehe

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I know the Maestro design is more "sophisticated" and probably climbs more efficiently, but less travel and more weight makes me wonder if the VT still has the edge in versatility.

As for stem length, Id opt for something that fits your dimensions and riding style, rather than going with what was "factory spec" just for the sake of that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In my opinion it depends on what type of riding you do but make sure you consider this very much before action:

- DO NOT sell the 4way. It rides much better than the 3way, specially on the VT. My friend has a VT and I have a 3way on my horst link bike only because the 4way would not fit. Yes you don't need to adjust the 4way once it's setup properly but that does not mean the canister is useless. It is a big improvement over the 3way and I strongly advise you to try one before spending your money on it.

- Selling the VT to get a Trance would also be a big downgrade unless you are an XC racer. It you are a technical trail rider, the VT offers a very nice ride.

I don't have a VT but I've ridden my friends VT serveral times and I really like how this bikes geometry and bump absorption. The Reign might be more of an equivalent to the VT than the Trance.

In my opinion, changing the wheels for a light but strong set like Xmax XL might be a nice improvement for the VT because it does feel a bit slow on easy going trails. Changing the fork or the brakes might also bring you much more for your money than the 100g you will save on the shock versus the downgrade in performance.

My 2cents!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie
    I am going to order a new RaceFace Evolve XC stem and I would like to get the same dimensions as the factory models... Can anyone tell me what length to get? 90, 100, 110 or 120mm? (+/- 6 degree rise).

I've been pulling my hair out for the past month on trying to decide if I should upgrade a few parts on my '03 VT1 or buy a used '05 Trance1... After driving my wife crazy, I've come to the conclusion to just upgrade my VT. Not that there's anything wrong with the Trance 1, but I'm a bit leary as to why they changed the frame design (already!) and I'm not too fond of losing an extra 1" rear travel (I know RP3 is sweet) and I just can't bring myself to drop $2300 on a slightly used bike... bsides, I was going to sell off the Crossmax SL wheelset (I don't race).

Current setup:

Titec bar/stem/post
    RaceFace Prodigy XC ISIS cranks
    XT fr/rr derailleur/cassette (old)
    LX shifters
    Swinger 4-Way
    Avid mech disc brakes
    WTB Rocket saddle
    Manitou Minute 1:00 fork
    SUN SingleTrack XT disc wheelset
    Panaracer Trailblaster fr/rr tires

Upgrades:

RaceFace Evolve XC bar/stem/post
    XT Hollowtech II cranks
    XT fr/rr/derailleur cassette (new)
    XT shifters
    Swinger 3-Way

I know the Swinger 3-Way is actually a downgrade, but I've never adjusted the SPV volume chamber on the 4-Way and I had to shorten the old Titec seatpost to make it fit and I want to use the RaceFace setpost without having to shorten it. All in all, I should also shed 1-2 pounds off the bike as well... Now I just need to get a lighter wheelset (was thinking of Mavic 717 XT disc)

I guess this would be similar to the '05 Aussie VT1... (since they are still producing the VT overseas)

Give me your thoughts... Or should I sell and get the Trance1? hehehe
    If your looking to change from the VT you should look at the Reign.I am currenty selling my 04 VT and ordered an 06 Reign 2,the VT in 18" is to small.I think they are more comparable than the Trance.Depending on the trails you ride on the 6" travel is nice to have.After the VT the Trance didnt cut it,just my opinion.If staying put with the VT then your stem should fit your body type and riding style.I had to go 2cm bigger than stock with my VT. TK

GoVols
    Oct 2004

Wink My VT2...

is an '04 medium. I am 5' 10", and the original easton stem was too long at 120 mm with a 5 degree rise... I switched to a thomson 5 degree, 100 mm stem and am much happier. It is definitely stiffer and makes my ride more comfortable. Another upgrade I liked which is a definite weight saver (and I generally could care less about that) was the switch to Candy SL pedals.. found 'em on Ebay for $65.00.
    I, too have seriously considered switching to a Reign or Trance - rode both at the LBS, and thought the Reign felt better with minimal penalty going uphill... but as of right now still enjoying the VT alot, and can't justify the $$ for a new bike/frame right now. Just got the VT modified the way I like it anyway...also, I wish they had built a 5" maestro trailbike... I know, not much difference from a Trance. I checked out the Iron Horse DW link bikes, but the shop guys were rude a**holes, and to be honest the frame is not that attractive. Not that that matters, right?!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input guys! Helps alot to hear from others before I throw down coin. Yeah, I'm going to stick with the VT. I'm going to get the 100mm stem. I like to be a bit more upright and less over the front wheel. Also, the new crankset should make a nice addition and slight weight saver. I have to agree with the comment above - VT seems to be more versatile and best of both worlds (mix between Trance and Reign) even though the Meastro susp is nice for climbing - not doing too much of that here in FL, though.

I received the 3-Way for free which is why I was going to replace the 4-Way. You say to keep the 4-Way? Well, you convinced me to keep it. To be honest, I dialed it in just right last month (haven't checked any pressure settings in last 12 months - just being lazy) and what a difference it made - nice and plush. I guess I should check it every 2-3 months, huh?

I'll post pics when I get it all upgraded.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sell the 3way and get some nice and light hydraulic brakes, you can save some weight that way, the Avid mech are a bit on the heavy side. Or if you have a bit more money, Mavic Xmax SL tubeless wheels might do wonders with the weight saving. Saving weight on the wheels/tires feels much more than anywhere else on a bike... I think your decision is wise. For the pressure in your shock, I personnally almost never check it but I make sure my sag is correct, if I see the sag is more then I check the pressure. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by guppie
    Thanks for all the input guys! Helps alot to hear from others before I throw down coin. Yeah, I'm going to stick with the VT. I'm going to get the 100mm stem. I like to be a bit more upright and less over the front wheel. Also, the new crankset should make a nice addition and slight weight saver. I have to agree with the comment above - VT seems to be more versatile and best of both worlds (mix between Trance and Reign) even though the Meastro susp is nice for climbing - not doing too much of that here in FL, though.

I received the 3-Way for free which is why I was going to replace the 4-Way. You say to keep the 4-Way? Well, you convinced me to keep it. To be honest, I dialed it in just right last month (haven't checked any pressure settings in last 12 months - just being lazy) and what a difference it made - nice and plush. I guess I should check it every 2-3 months, huh?

I'll post pics when I get it all upgraded.

mtbr member
    I have to keep the Avids... I don't have much money left over and I just bought a set of Mavic 717 XT disc wheels that should make a nice improvement.

Just one more question:

Why did Giant only spec the 2003 VT1 and VT2 with the Swinger 4-Way? If you look at 2004 VT's and overseas 2005 VT's they all come with the 3-Way... I was just curious as perhaps there was something wrong with the 4-Way that they decided to abondon it, especially on their VT1 models?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Keeping cables clean vs. annual bleeding/fluid replacement? I'll take the former.

Maybe they detuned the 2005s as to position the Reign as their "premium" product?

mtbr member

Stem Length

I built up my VT2 from the frame up. I got the frame at a good deal. I put the parts on that I could afford and that I thought would perform well and be reliable. When I initially rode the bike it felt to small so I got a 130mm stem and a Titec Hellbent seat post. I'm prety happy with the way it rides.

Here is the whole story

VT2

Members who have read this thread: 0