Wannabe
    Apr 2004

VT new seatpost void warranty?

Is this true? That squeaking shim is killing me. I read a few times in these forums that changing the seat post and losing the shim could void your warranty. Before i swap it out I would like to know. Doesn't sound right but you never know.

C

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Psiclonik
    Is this true? That squeaking shim is killing me. I read a few times in these forums that changing the seat post and losing the shim could void your warranty. Before i swap it out I would like to know. Doesn't sound right but you never know.

C
    My new '04 NRS 1 came with a 27.2-30.8 shim that was too small for the seat tube. The shim was loose in the seat tube of the frame and caused a continuous popping sound. My LBS installed a 27.2-30.9 shim and fixed the problem.

XC rider/racer
    I think it would probably be best to contact either your LBS or Giant to ascertain whether or not ditching the shim would void your warranty.
    Having said that, I ditched my shim and original seatpost months ago and went with 30.9 Thomson seatpost....its lighter, stronger, and no more seat post creaks.
    When fitting a new seatpost, ensure that it is far enough into the seat tube so that it goes beyond where the top tube meets the seat tube.....failing to do this may result in frame damage.
    Cheers

Wannabe
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy ©
    I think it would probably be best to contact either your LBS or Giant to ascertain whether or not ditching the shim would void your warranty.
    Having said that, I ditched my shim and original seatpost months ago and went with 30.9 Thomson seatpost....its lighter, stronger, and no more seat post creaks.
    When fitting a new seatpost, ensure that it is far enough into the seat tube so that it goes beyond where the top tube meets the seat tube.....failing to do this may result in frame damage.
    Cheers
    I actually have to cut my seat post down on the VT (16.5") otherwise i can't have the rebound out far enough. I guess i will have to contact giant and find out for sure. Don't really want to void the warranty. Although i am not sure how they would ever know what seat post i had in there.

C

Wannabe
    Apr 2004
    nm silly question
    Last edited by Psiclonik; 06-09-2004 at 10:01 PM.