Thread: VT Fender

VT3
    May 2004

VT Fender

I just got a VT and am wondering if there is a problem with a lot of dirt and junk getting in the rear shock? It seems the rear triangle is very open and am wondering if anybody has come up with a way to mount a fender to protect the shock or if there is even a need for it? Thanks.
    Live to ride, ride to live!

mtbr member

4 way dirty

I don't know if you "need" a fender or not, but a lot of dirt does get in the tight little area where the rear shock is held. I have a Swinger 4 way, and I think that is harder to clean that the 3 way.

I use a light hose if it is fresh dirt or mud, or a set of brushes for anything that's been there for a while.

All Clean....

I just let one RIP

You could put on a shock boot

that would help keep it clean, and wouldn't weigh as much or be as cumbersome or silly looking as a fender.

mtbr member
    I read an article in a mtb mag recently that the shock boot actually traps dirt and can reduce the life of a shock.

Reviewer/Tester

VT Shock Protector..

Easy fix:

Take a piece of semi-soft EVA material, [I used the black coloured footpad from an old windsurfer board] and cut it so that it fits on the alloy rectangle on the frame in front of the rear wheel.

Attach it with a couple of ziploc fasteners. Make sure it extends from the bottom of the frame to the top of the shock mount.

It stops about 95% of the mud / dirt / crud going onto the shock and the front mech from the back wheel.

Sorry I cant post a pic...camera is busted.

R.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Easy fix:

Take a piece of semi-soft EVA material, [I used the black coloured footpad from an old windsurfer board] and cut it so that it fits on the alloy rectangle on the frame in front of the rear wheel.

Attach it with a couple of ziploc fasteners. Make sure it extends from the bottom of the frame to the top of the shock mount.

It stops about 95% of the mud / dirt / crud going onto the shock and the front mech from the back wheel.

Sorry I cant post a pic...camera is busted.

R.

hey rainman, did you mean that you extend the material to the top of the shock mount from the rectangle so that it kind of makes a curve? or did you mean to just use the material to cover the rectangle with the two oval like holes (if i remember correctly from looking at my bike). if you meant to extend the material to the top of the shock mount, how do you attach it to the top of the shock mount then? i'm not sure if i'm just misunderstanding your post haha

thanks

Reviewer/Tester
    Sorry about that, chief..it would be easier to show if my damn camera was working...

Anyways... the EVA material is stiff enough to stand 'up' by itself, it is not attached to the shock top mount at all, only at the alloy rectangle down on the frame with the 2/3 ziploc ties around the frame and the eva pad holding it in place.

Heres another one I made from a computer mouse pad.. I simply cut up a mouse pad, an EVA one, and did the same setup, it works nicely.

Because the material is semi-soft, it will bend and flex as the suspension does its work and not interfere with the shock or anything, whilst stopping the crud thrown from the rear wheel.

It makes a slight curve if you look at it side-on, the pad rests lightly on the top of the shock.

Hope this helps,

R.

mtbr member
    A pic will be pretty helpfull, hard to image it.

Reviewer/Tester
    Hereis my artistic impression of the eva fender..
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Just reverse the shock like mine (upside down).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hmm, so do you make a fold in the eva material? because your picture shows a bend in the "fender" or is it like 2 pieces of material attached together by zip ties? sorry for all the confusion haha, just seems like something that would work great and save some cleaning troubles haha.

on another note, i'm not sure if some of you remember but i think it was a month ago that i mentioned something about flipping the swinger 4-way shock upside down so that there would be more seat adjustability on the 03 VT, well i finally got around to trying it but tho it should be possible, it isn't because giant uses different sized bearings on the top and bottom of the shock for the 03 vt's, but if they were the same size, it would have been possible, just wanted to let anybody who was interested know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT
    hmm, so do you make a fold in the eva material? because your picture shows a bend in the "fender" or is it like 2 pieces of material attached together by zip ties? sorry for all the confusion haha, just seems like something that would work great and save some cleaning troubles haha.

on another note, i'm not sure if some of you remember but i think it was a month ago that i mentioned something about flipping the swinger 4-way shock upside down so that there would be more seat adjustability on the 03 VT, well i finally got around to trying it but tho it should be possible, it isn't because giant uses different sized bearings on the top and bottom of the shock for the 03 vt's, but if they were the same size, it would have been possible, just wanted to let anybody who was interested know.

go here, to see the pic (reverse shock) VT 2 2004 rear suspension question?

Reviewer/Tester
    No No No... There is no fold in the eva material.. You simply cut a rectangular piece that is just slightly wider than the alloy rectangle of the frame in front of the back wheel.

This piece of eva is then attached with ziploc ties [3] around the eva and frame. The eva extends up past the shock to near the shock top-mount. It is NOT attached to anything up there, it just rests lightly on the top of the shock itself.

I hope this is clear now...

R.

whattaya starin' at?
    hmmm is this EVA material a semi rigid material?

i was thinking of something like a plastic soda bottle i had on the table while cleaning mine.

not pretty but it's just a clear material that just blocks all the crap from going into the shock and the front der...
    leo d.

Reviewer/Tester
    You could use a plastic bottle, or something similiar to that... I used the eva material because it was less likely to : Make any noise. : Damage anything. : Coloured black to blend in with frame colour. : Is pliable/soft and easy to cut/attach to frame.

R.

mtbr member

Great Idea!

I will try one with an old "Gorge Jump Padz" that I had for my Bic Rock N Roll Windsurfer. Thanks, Jeff