Thread: VT advice

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

VT advice

Hi,

My KHS 4 bar started creaking so instead of messing with the two pivot bolts that were "welded" in I found a great deal on a VT frameset with a swinger 3 way. It seems to be one of the top reviewed bikes on this web site too.

Questions:
    1. Have a Zokes XC and plan to use it in the maximum travel mode (120MM). Should I run the rear at 5 or 5.7 inches??

2. I am more XC type than bomber and don't want to give up much on the climbs. My weight is around 140. How should I set up the rear shock??

3. I am thinking of going with the Avid mechanical in the rear with a 6 inch rotor and for now keeping the v-brake on the front fork until I can afford to spring for a front brake and hub. Any one else have experience with disc v-brake set up.

4. Any tips on cable length and routing for the rear derailluer?

I am really stoked about the VT. I hope I like it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Im sure you'll really love it. I bought a VT as a play bike, but it quickly replaced my old FS/XC rig.

I'm running a 120 MX Comp ETA and really like the way the bike handles. I would hesitate running much more up front.

I really didnt notice a huge difference between the travel settings, so I opted for the 5.7. The 5.0 seems to steepen the head angle very slightly, if thats an issue for you.

Definitely go with Manitou's recommended settings as a starting point. I tend to like my suspension a bit softer than most, but dialing in the proper feel takes a little bit of trial and error.

Most disc-v mixes have the disc up front, to take advantage of the superior stopping power, but I dont see why it couldnt work well, other than issues of "feel"

I have my rear der. cable angled, from the middle hole at the first stop to the farthest right on the second -- just so the routing is a bit smoother. A disconcertingly large rear cable loop is the way to go -- prevents ghost shifting.

Let us know how the build goes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    RM,

Thanks for the quick feedback, particularly vis a vis the cable routing.

I know that the Zokes tend to run a little high in the axel to fork crown department so I was suspecting that the XC fork I have would work just fine.
    Do you have any issues with having more rear end travel than front end travel??

I sort of wish the 3 way had lockout but I'll just have to experience the SPV for myself. It's just that I like to get out of the saddle now and then to climb. But with my front fork lockout I guess I should be OK, since it seems like the front end of a bike bobbing is worse than having the rear bob.

How does the rear end hookup on steep technical climbs?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No issues regarding front/rear travel disparity. It's pretty common, esp. with longer-travel frames with single crown forks. A longer fork would jack up the front end too high and make it really light on steep climbs.

I'd say along with descending, technical climbs is where the bike really shines. The traction is amazing, though staying in the saddle is really the ticket. You can jump out for the occasional burst, but the bike will bob some..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    One more quetion RM.

What size seatpost does the VT take? I want to eliminate the shim that I heard leads to sqeaks. Is it 30.8 or 30.9??

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah, Ive heard both as well. Im using a 30.9 Thomson that fits perfectly

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Granny,

After all that arguing for 5 inches and then you use 5.75! Funny.
    I am sure I will try both, but I think 5 should be good for me.

Anyways glad to see other riders are stoked about the VT frame.

I was told by the shop I ordered from, that the "correct" size for the seatpost is 30.8 so that is what I ordered. Why in the heck do they use a shim? Does it have anything to do with shock clearance?

Ya, I guess it is a single pivot but I haven't taken the time to figure out what all the other pivots are for. Any explanations for those?

I was going to go with a six inch Avid Mechanical in the back but spent the extra two ounces on the 8 inch rotar. I ordered in a xt disc hub and will lace up my own wheel.

I would post a picture when I am done building but you guys would laugh at my rear view mirror! I just want to see how fast I am pulling away from my mates!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I got a picture of the VT off the internet, which is frame only so you can look at all the linkages and pivots. Seems like a complicated way of making a "single pivot" bike.

I tell you what, if I don't like it better than my el cheapo KHS, 4 bar link with coil over, I am realling going to be unhappy (aka pissed). Pretty much everything will be the same build with the exception of a rear disc brake vs. my present v-brake set up. Also going from "light" 2.4 inch WTB tires to "light" 2.5 inch WTB tires.

With pretty much all XT grade components and up and with my Zokes XC fork, I was hanging with my buddies on their Jeckles and Prophets with my KHS and they are good riders. Before the fork upgrade there was no way.

The KHS has well over 2000 miles on it and went to Europe with me and got my butt all over the mountains and roads there. It might be sad to turn it into a second grade bike again.

In fact if I do pics I'll put some in of the KHS and how I have it set up. Mirror, rear flashing light and all!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think the push-links main purpose is to add stiffness. The rear triangle tubing is fairly beefy, but the links add reinforcement to an unsupported area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    El Cheapo KHS 4 bar. Not a Horst Link though. Only their top of the line comes with that. More similar to a Ventana, a bike I always wanted. Attached are some low res pictures. Been a real fun bike for me.

Got the VT frame today. Got too excited and even though I didn't have all my parts I started slapping it together just to see how the suspension felt. Feels real bottomless. Mid to late next week will probably be my first real run on it. I am going to throw my old fork on the KHS so I won't be bikeless.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well, only removed the fork, front wheel and stem from the KHS. I got other parts to put the KHS back together again.

Still waiting on the rear disc, correct seatpost and rear disc hub for the VT.

Drops?? Forget about it. The only reason I am so short is because I am afraid of heights. I for the most part like to keep my bike stuck on the ground. I want more travel for comfort and control. I like to go fast but jumping ain't my cup of tea.

Attached are a couple pics of my KHS set up with slicks from my France vacation. I'll put my daughter on it when we go riding.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ya know, I felt exactly the same way a scant four months ago (when I was riding my FSXC). Always thought, at 40, I was too old to start jumping, but the VT is so very confidence inspiring.

Im certainly no hucker now, but my pals have said some of my stunts have been impressive, which is a certain improvement!

Nice looking build so far..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nice build?? Haaa!

Ya with a bunch of old parts. UN-51 bottom bracket, older than dirt Suntour Crank (xc pro though), heavy alloy bars, tektro brake levers, a power tools rear hub (cheap), a heavy 9 speed cluster, deore shifters, deore front derailluer, BUT an xt rear derailluer. An old too short 27.2 seatpost and a very old and worn out Specialized saddle (but ti rails!)

Got the KHS running again. Old Manitou 80mm front fork and a longer stem with brand new Ritchey foldable Z-Max tires. It will be my climbing bike. Need it for tomorrow so I had to get it going.

Will report back once I get the VT dialed in.

Thanks for all the chat and info!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well a better build for now.

XT rear disc hub which I laced to a Sun Single Track rim. 32 hole 3 cross. Straight guage on the drive side and double butted on the non drive side. Reason is? Those are the spokes I had sitting around in that size!

Avid mechanical 8 inch rear disc brake.

Proper sized seatpost Kalloy brand. BTW the actual size is 30.8 not 30.9. It is even stamped 30.8 on the shim that comes with the frame.

Cheap newer WTB saddle.

Avid front V-brake

Tektro brake levers. Whooppeee!

Xt rear derailluer and Deore front derailluer.

Deore rapid fire shifters. Hey they work!

LX Front hub wheel.

WTB foldable 2.5 inch Wierwolfs. I love the name! Should be good for this season's desert riding.

Zokes Marathon XC. This fork is cool.

Old Suntour XC pro Crankset which is pretty light.

Cheap Shimano UN 51 BB

Bontrager stem and cheap alloy bars.

Lock on grips. Love these.

Still to come: A rear view mirror and slimed tires to ward off this year's crop of goatheads and desert cactus.

I put my light on and rode a little bit tonight. Feels a little short in the top tube. Can't go too much further back with the seat and don't want to do the stupid lay back seat post. Stem is pretty short so I could go slightly longer there and perhaps turn my bars a little more forward. I am used to being stretched out, so perhaps I should just leave it for a few rides before I do anything too drastic.

Will post a pic in the next day or two before it gets too banged up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    At least you got it built up You can always change out parts later as you break them or hate them. You can get some Avid single Digits 7 Ti brake levers from ebay for 27 bucks + shipping. Cheap way to get those Tekro stuff off the bike

BTW the difference between the 30.8 and 30.9 post is about .004", thats about the thickness of one strand of hair off your head

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Depending on your old bikes geometry, yeah, the top tube can feel a bit cramped.

If you dont like the bent Thomson style post, consider something like an Easton, where the setback is built into the clamp. (Though I have a Thomson and am very happy with it)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I didn't even know 8's can fit on the rear. Looking at the rear, the notch for the rotor "looks" to max at 7"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by granny.gear
    I just put an Easton EA50 30.9 on my VT. Fit like a glove. The shim.... that got the ceremonial squashing!

Can't go wrong with Tektro's, absolute classics... at least you know where you can save weight. Curious to see how an 8" rotor and v's on the front feels?

Don't worry about the shortish top tube... you will appreciate the slightly upright position the 73.5 seat angle gives you in the rough and downhill. I rotated my bars at first, but ended up rotating them back a few months later.
    30.9? Fits like a glove? Like the one OJ tried on? Actually my 30.8 fits pretty tight to the point where I wouldn't want to go any larger.

The Tektro levers are not that heavy and work pretty good.

I rode the VT some more and as I used the rear disc, it got stronger. Feels real nice. Actually I have my front v-brake set up pretty good and the brakes as a pair feel good. Not mismatched at all.

I slid the seat back even further (as far as I could) and that seems to make it feel a little better. I am going to leave the bar ends off for now but I really miss them. I like them for climbing when I am standing or just to give my hands and arms a different position.

Weight? I don't want to weigh it. It is pretty portly. Culprits? Rear rim, heavy cluster fairly heavy (but big) tires, slime, mirror, heavy bars, heavy seat, heavy BB. Then an almost 7 pound frame and a 4 pound fork and you get some pork. Hey that rymes doesn't it! I am not going to stress over trying to save a few pounds because that will cost me a few paychecks! If I want light and no bob I will jump on my softride.

Pedals nice till I am out of the saddle. Sure would be nice to have a lockout feature on the rear shock. I got one on the front shock and that helps. Since I like to get out of the saddle frequently, it kind of goes against my riding style. And I don't want to blow more money on a shock upgrade than I paid for the VT frameset, swinger 3 way and headset ($399) In the saddle and standing downhills I really like the feel of it. I think the biggest dial in deal will be setting up the rear shock properly.

Avid mechanicals (my first plunge into the world of disc brakes) are certainly easy to set up and adjust. I have seen my friends with their hydralics and bleed kits and shims and squeals and rubbing which made me wary. Time will tell but according to the reviews and a few people who I know who run them, they seem to be pretty satisfied.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by granny.gear
    All recent Giant's and Santa Cruz's use 30.9 seat posts, hence a common size. My VT weighs 29lbs dry and without computer (every bit helps). You paid only $400 for the frame and shock! It's almost that much for the shock! Bargain.

You will find that most 5-6" full sussers will weigh between 28 to 32 lbs. What stem length and rise are you using? By the way, you can't put bar ends on a full susser (that goes for mirrors too)!!!!!

Are you in the 5" or 5.75 setting? What main and SPV pressure you using? With a big travel big you need to sit back and relax in the climbs. It would be tricky getting to a lock-out on the rear shockie though.
    Ya $399 was a smoking deal. Bicycle Bobs in Boise Idaho. My brother lives there and I asked him about them. He says they have been around since dirt was invented and they were a good shop. They shipped out promptly and treated me well. I really wanted to try out a single pivot bike with more travel and the deal was way too tempting. I think they still have some left. My size was a 16.5 inch frame and they have other sizes too.

I was born with bar ends in my hands, much to my mom's anguish! I just feel like a dufas without them.

Mirror. I can't help that I use my mountain bikes for road riding and jaunts into town. I live on a steep 1/2 mile long dirt road so road bike tires get eaten up too much. Also I ride to trails on the road so a mirror makes perfect sense. It also allows me to see if my riding buddies are catching up!

I am in the 5.75 inch setting, short stem (don't know exact length, but you can look at the picture posted above) and negative rise, (flipped over). Swinger set up ?Around 140 in the main and around 100 in the SPV. I weigh around 140 depending on the ice cream stock on hand. Any suggestions?

I know I am over 30 (pounds that is) and it isn't worth stressing over.

I am sure when I am hauling down some fast rocky bumpy trail or fire road that the bobbing and weight issues will disappear.

When I ordered in the 8 inch brake, I didn't realize that it would not fit all bikes, but it does fit my VT. Thank goodness for that! In retrospect I should have ordered the 6 inch rotor but oh well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Granny Guy,

I might try to lower the pressure per your suggestion.

Rear brake does lock up but not without me telling it to.

When I ordered I saw 3 brake rotor sizes and picked the middle size. I guess it will give me bragging rights of some sort. But yes, now that I know better, I should have ordered in the 6 inch rotor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Here is the picture of the "completed" VT along with my reconfigured KHS.
    Thanks for all the input guys!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    BTW following is a picture of my 8 inch avid mechanical rear disc brake. Plenty of clearance for the rotor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    ERRR,

Lets do that again!

mtbr member

me too

hi, i just read the thread and have a couple comments and q's.

i bought a used 04 with swinger 4way, sans headset for $268 out of a swapper. came with some nice custom dents and dings on the stays.

i need to know what headset to get, cane creek standard? or campy?

can i run an 80mm fork? after buying the frame, i was bummed to realize it's disc only, long travel, integrated headset. ordered a wheelset and some used brakes, but would prefer not to buy another fork.

i honestly regret having bought a frame that looks like Shamu. thought it was a good deal, but the build issues and the horribly effeminate paint job are making me kick myself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    hi, i just read the thread and have a couple comments and q's.

i bought a used 04 with swinger 4way, sans headset for $268 out of a swapper. came with some nice custom dents and dings on the stays.

i need to know what headset to get, cane creek standard? or campy?

can i run an 80mm fork? after buying the frame, i was bummed to realize it's disc only, long travel, integrated headset. ordered a wheelset and some used brakes, but would prefer not to buy another fork.

i honestly regret having bought a frame that looks like Shamu. thought it was a good deal, but the build issues and the horribly effeminate paint job are making me kick myself.
    I was lucky enough to get a good deal on a brand new one with a killer paint job (in my not so humble opinion) complete with a headset.

1. Headset, I have no idea which ones are compatible.

2. Brakes. I went disc in back and keeping my v's up front for now till I decide if I want to put any more money into it.

3. Fork. In my opinion, 80mm will not cut it with this frame. With 5.75 inches rear travel you should get at least a 100mm fork and probably more like 120mm. I would suggest a Zokes fork myself.

4. Paint job: You could always get a spray can and go for it!

Or if you really regret it, put it on ebay before you dump more money into something you don't want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well, finally took it out for a good test ride today. About 26 miles and around 2800 feet of climb. Went alone so I actually took a pump and an allen wrench along with my tunes.

Combo highway single track dirt road, and tons of downhill.

Pedaled nice on the highway but I really missed my bar ends! Cool foggy wet and windy. Perfect conditions!

I noticed some rear wheel deflection. Not a huge problem but noticable.

Downhill the rear end just rocks and soaks up everything just beautifully. In fact the back end felt more capable than my front end which is a zokes xc set in 120mm mode. I think I need to add a little more air in the front fork. On my khs, the front end with the same fork felt like it was overwhelming the rear end some. I guess I would not recommend anything less than 100mm for the VT frameset and more like 120mm.

The rear Avid 8 inch disc brake worked very nicely and felt very powerful. I have small hands so it was nice to be able to set my levers closer to the handlebar. I didn't really need to use a ton of braking today so the front v-brake was not much of a factor as far as getting overwhelmed or being incompatible with the rear brake.

On the 3 mile dirt road single track uphill with about 1300 feet of climb, I put the zokes in the ETA mode. What a difference. It lowered the front end just perfect and made the steering very controllable. Climbed very nicely and it was very comfortable in the rear end due to the rear suspension. I think for my set up and riding style the ETA is the way to go. Without it I am sure the front end would wander more on the climbs and my front end would be too light. Otherwise I would probably have to run the zokes in the 100mm mode and use a longer stem, which would hurt on the downhills.

Bottom line is I really enjoyed the bike. I will eventually lighten up my heavy parts, probably slap on bar ends and go to grip shifts. The only bummer in my book is the lack of rear end lockout since I like to stand quite a bit on long grindy climbs. Of course the ability to lock out the front end helps quite a bit.

It sure is easy to get addicted to more travel!

3.5 chillis at this point. Of course I don't think I would give any bike or any product more than 4.0 max since I am a tough grader.

mtbr member

tormented

your killer paint job is the same one that i call Shamu. i'd take a rattle can to it if i werent so conflicted on selling it or keeping it as is (for later sale) due to minor celebrity value. heh, problem solved, i will eventually sell it, just gotta ride an ugly duck for awhile.

more and more long travel forks are going on clearance, gonna bite the bullet. my lbs will figure out the headset situation for me at a nominal markup.

being used to steep head angles and flat riding position, i'm tempted by the glut of 100mm forks. how bad could it be? 70 head angle sounds pretty slack... 20 mm = .5 degrees?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    your killer paint job is the same one that i call Shamu. i'd take a rattle can to it if i werent so conflicted on selling it or keeping it as is (for later sale) due to minor celebrity value. heh, problem solved, i will eventually sell it, just gotta ride an ugly duck for awhile.

more and more long travel forks are going on clearance, gonna bite the bullet. my lbs will figure out the headset situation for me at a nominal markup.

being used to steep head angles and flat riding position, i'm tempted by the glut of 100mm forks. how bad could it be? 70 head angle sounds pretty slack... 20 mm = .5 degrees?

Drunkie,

You hurt my feelings! Actually I thought Shamu was black and white??? I always wanted a blue and white (light silver) bike, so I thought I was happy until I read your post!
    120mm make it a little slack? On the downhills no, on the uphills? yes. That is why I really dig the ETA on my Zokes.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Here's a pic of mine for reference, check out the cable routing.

It's configured at 5.7" r and 5" f and have 180mm r, 208mm f rotors.

A 30.8 or 30.9 seat post will work fine.

It has a Thomson X4 90x10 and it's perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    Drunkie,

You hurt my feelings! Actually I thought Shamu was black and white??? I always wanted a blue and white (light silver) bike, so I thought I was happy until I read your post!
    120mm make it a little slack? On the downhills no, on the uphills? yes. That is why I really dig the ETA on my Zokes.
    the color scheme, the frame's curves and the sweeping scallops combine to make the frame look like shamu swimming around in a tank. ready to flop out of the water at any time. seen other frames posted, the older paint jobs were so much better, especially the black one.

dont mean to hurt your feelings, you didnt design the paint job.

non adjustable 100mm forks are so cheap and plentiful. the head angle is spec'd at 70 degrees and i'm assuming that's with a 120 fork. so with a 100 full time, 70.5 head angle isn't bad at all... assuming i'm right about the angle change.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    the color scheme, the frame's curves and the sweeping scallops combine to make the frame look like shamu swimming around in a tank. ready to flop out of the water at any time. seen other frames posted, the older paint jobs were so much better, especially the black one.

dont mean to hurt your feelings, you didnt design the paint job.

non adjustable 100mm forks are so cheap and plentiful. the head angle is spec'd at 70 degrees and i'm assuming that's with a 120 fork. so with a 100 full time, 70.5 head angle isn't bad at all... assuming i'm right about the angle change.
    Drunkie,

You didn't hurt my feelings. All my buddies love the color scheme too. I guess we all have bad taste!

Check the reviews here or go to Giant's web site to see what forks they spec on the bike to get a better idea of what is what. You can get some killer deals on the 2005 zokes XC like mine. I think jenson might be offering them for under $370, or get a cheaper zokes ETA fork. If you like quick handling the ETA makes it that way for the uphills, yet you still get a downhill oriented fork when you flip off the ETA.

Let us know if you build it up and what you think of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Several rides under my VT belt including a 30 plus miler yesterday with lots of climbing. Pavement dirt road single track, hike a bike you name it.

Broke down and put a disc brake up front. Also went with my 165mm xt crank and put the avid brake levers on along with my mirror, and horror of horrors my bar ends. Let a little pressure out of the main chamber. I noticed more bob when standing but it sure feels good when I am in the saddle. I think with this bike you pretty much have to give up out of the saddle climbing for any period of time. This is probably true of any full suspension without lock out.

I noticed in another thread that people mentioned pedal feedback with the VT. I really concentrated on it yesterday and never really noticed it and that was in every chainring including fast downhill and uphill with little steps and lots of rocks. In fact I noticed that the chain doesn't skip around on bumpy fast riding like my KHS does.

There is more flex in the back than a hardtail and vs. my KHS but something that you rarely notice. On the downhills the bike just flys and is very confidence inspiring. With that said I almost wiped out when the front end let go on a fast slippery fire road off camber turn. I corrected several times before I got control and managed to stay upright. The problem when you go faster is that you have more potential for crashes.

For my style of riding and our terrain where we have climbs that are over 3 miles or more in length, the bar ends really help. It gives alternative hand positions and also weights the front end more. I would think in rolley terrain I would ditch them. There is where my zokes XC comes in handy with the ETA. Makes the front end steer very sharply. I hate a bike that wanders on the uphills, particularly when you are fatigued and in your granny.

The back end is the most comfortable that I have ever ridden. I don't think I would ever go back to a bike with less travel. I have it in the 5.75 inch mode.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Which front derailleur?

I couldn't find this info on Giant or Shimano's sites: what type of front derailleur do I want for a VT frame?
    Wheel World has
    these, and from what I've read so far I think I need a bottom pull in the 34.9 size, but do I need a top swing or bottom swing? I never realized there was a difference!

MBAA!
    Im going to assume you need a top swing.

On a side note, all this recent VT talk is making me crave one! Anywhere to pick one up for a price that wont cause me bankruptcy?
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Check out www.bobs-bicycles.com , I got a VT1 there for $399, shipping was something like $30 or $40.
    Edit: sorry - they've since sold out I guess, but there are other Giant frames there at a discount.
    Last edited by voodoosand; 11-24-2005 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Product is no longer offered there

MBAA!
    Well I figure...

250$ for the VT frame
    150$ for the fork
    200$ for drivetrain componets
    Brakes from my old bike
    600$... not too bad.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

MBAA!
    Well I dont know if ill have the money for awhile... may look into getting another NRS or a new frame and moving all my componets over. I do know that I need another bike. Its either the XTC carbon hybrid or VT frame. Im leaning towards making a SS XTC. But yes, theres a real VT thread. Do you have MSN or AIM, granny gear?

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    He's referring to on-line messaging like MSN messenger, Yahoo Messenger and so son.

Mine is dirt.devil.66atgmaildotcom (msn) or dirt_devil_66atyahoodotcom (Yahoo)

MBAA!
    Yes. Mine is NRS-Cream-09@hotmail dot com, I sent you a request dirt devil.

Back to the topic at hand, I think ive decided to attempt to build up a VT. May be done in a year or so, theres lots I have to spend my money on first.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    richwolf, I too recently retired my battered KHS (an xc304) frame and built-up a VT frame. Nite and day difference.

mtbr member

Brakes on Back

I wouldn't go with a disc on back with V-brakes up front, You'll just skid the back end and tear up the trails, basically running that much brake out back is a waste of brake. You want your braking force up front for a whole bunch of reasons, mainly control.
    Get an front brake adapter and disc wheel, then mount that 8inch disc up front. You'll be gald you did.

I have a Avid Mech 185mm up front on my VT with a 160mm out back.
    I run a Avid 160mm up front on my SS bike because a v-brake does the job in back.

I run my Manitou 4-way inverted at the 5" setting.
    Fox Talas RLC 130mm doing the duties up front

Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    Granny,

After all that arguing for 5 inches and then you use 5.75! Funny.
    I am sure I will try both, but I think 5 should be good for me.

Anyways glad to see other riders are stoked about the VT frame.

I was told by the shop I ordered from, that the "correct" size for the seatpost is 30.8 so that is what I ordered. Why in the heck do they use a shim? Does it have anything to do with shock clearance?

Ya, I guess it is a single pivot but I haven't taken the time to figure out what all the other pivots are for. Any explanations for those?

I was going to go with a six inch Avid Mechanical in the back but spent the extra two ounces on the 8 inch rotar. I ordered in a xt disc hub and will lace up my own wheel.

I would post a picture when I am done building but you guys would laugh at my rear view mirror! I just want to see how fast I am pulling away from my mates!

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    jollybeggar... post pics of your VT if you have any.

btw, did you flipping your Swinger shock give you more clearance to drop your seatpost lower?

mtbr member

VT Pics Shocks Flip

Here are some older pics of my VT.
    I've up graded to Avid Mech 185mm upfront since.
    Check out the shock flip.

Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike

btw, did you flipping your Swinger shock give you more clearance to drop your seatpost lower?

mtbr member

VT Pics Shocks Flip

Here are some older pics of my VT.
    I've up graded to Avid Mech 185mm upfront since.
    Check out the shock flip.

mtbr member

One more try on Pics

Here they are. I hope

Members who have read this thread: 0