Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008

Video: Falling in a trench with a 2013 Trance X0 29er

mtbr member
    Looks like someone didnt get the right size bike. Standover f*^%cked him up and threw him off balance. Goes to show that 29ers arent for everyone.

May contain nuts
    Actually looks like they were having trouble weighting the front wheel right before the stall. Bars too high? Too small a rider for a 29er?

mtbr member
    It looks to me like he simply didn't have his upper body far enough forward. After some of the VERY small people I've seen ride 29'ers incredibly well, I no longer buy the whole "too small for a 29er" thing. The guy was too close to the edge of the trail, he didn't keep enough weight on the front wheel, it stood up, he put a foot down in thin air, and fell off the side of a hill. Rider error, end of story.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    sorry but if he was riding a frame for his size this would have not happened, yes the rider lacked the skill but the bike size did not help, funny video either way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    well that looked really dumb, probably just an inexperienced rider. He could have done it on any bike

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2011
    it's obvious 29er isn't for everyone. That's why we have 24" for children and women.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    It looks to me like he simply didn't have his upper body far enough forward. After some of the VERY small people I've seen ride 29'ers incredibly well, I no longer buy the whole "too small for a 29er" thing. The guy was too close to the edge of the trail, he didn't keep enough weight on the front wheel, it stood up, he put a foot down in thin air, and fell off the side of a hill. Rider error, end of story.
    ^ This. Wow, it's a shame the rest of you are so close-minded about 29ers. And 24" for children and women? That is so offensive. Really. Way to stereotype and lump everyone into categories.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Looks like he was just doing it wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Looks like he was just doing it wrong.
    That's what it looks like to me also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You all are missing the important question - Is the BIKE alright?
    Jeff
    '12 Giant Talon 2
    '13 Giant Trance X1 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mudgirl View Post
    ^ This. Wow, it's a shame the rest of you are so close-minded about 29ers. And 24" for children and women? That is so offensive. Really. Way to stereotype and lump everyone into categories.
    So people take offense for simply stating the obvious?

Some XS/S frames just do a miracle to fit 29 wheels in them, most of the time with toe overlap, standover issues and handlebar height. Some people build as big as a kid should at most be riding a 26"

Dudette
    But, it's not obvious that the guy demoing the bike is that small. And I own this bike in a small and I have no toe overlap issues, standover issues, or handlebar height issues. And I'm 5'4". How a bike fits doesn't always necessarily have to do with how tall you are. And 29ers have come a long way in frame design and geometry. Why wouldn't a smaller rider want the same advantages a 29er can bring that a taller rider enjoys? It seems to me that the rider was too close to the edge, panicked and put a foot down into space. He appears to come down almost right at the stem - which with a sloping top tube, is going to be a lot higher than where standover is traditionally measured. It looks like he just made an honest error in judgement, and who among us has never done that before? I've watched plenty of people fall off their bmx bikes, and um, they had LOTS of standover room. Just sayin'...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Either bike looks big or the rider is very small in the video, the point is to get the benefit of a big wheel you need to have the body type for it, you canīt be short with stocky limbs. For some short people their 26" is their 29"

Dudette
    ^ Agreed. It should really be more about the fit than the wheel size. I still can't believe that guy fell down that and seemed relatively unscathed? Lucky!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liternit View Post
    So people take offense for simply stating the obvious?
    While your theory is possible, it is not obvious.

I hope the bike is ok.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I believe this is known as a cluster ****. Funny as hell. Glad the dude was ok, and the bike will pull through I am sure.

The bike size argument is funny as hell as well.

Go Speed Racer
    Looked to me like he could not get unclipped in time (looks like his right foot is attached to the bike all the way down).

Yet another reason I ride flats.

Inspector Gadget
    This video sucks. Doesn't the guy making the video know you are supposed add in a segment showing your buddy running out of talent in slow-mo 15 times in a row

mtbr member
    May 2011
    the pros of 29er are good enough to compensate the drawbacks come with a oversized frame, high standover? Maybe but it's not always.

Do you see how close the rider shoulder is close to the handlebar? Is it really a good frame size to him?

different wheel sizes are just like different frame sizes and fit different people.
    I rode a 20" BMX when I was small. My wife (5ft) prefers a 24" bike. I can't imagine she could ride a 29er. I am not a fan of 29er but I am neutral to it. I agree it has edges over 26".

Anyway, I didn't mean any offense to anyone in my first message.
    Last edited by cscsw; 10-12-2012 at 09:11 AM.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    great camera work. i mean, we didn't miss any of the action...

workin' it Administrator
    Lotsa e-riding on this thread! Congrats on all your astute observations on what happened!
    Try this: HTFU

AZ
    banned
    C.s.i. Mtbr.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cow Clicker
    He was wearing the wrong gloves for that path.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Interesting video...not so much for the discussion above.

They were going up a steep incline. His buddy bailed on the climb. The friend went for the pass on climb and was doing fine. He appears to be climbing the grade with ease. At the 12 second mark you see something lock up on the bike (I don't see anything on the trail that would abruptly stop the bike). Perhaps the chain dropped into the spokes. When the bike stopped, his left foot flies forward and then the right foot has nothing to land on since he is riding the edge of the trail. He falls as a result.

Doesn't look to be a rider issue, nor a fit/wheel size issue. It just appears to be someone riding off road where accidents happen. That's all. Case closed. No need for further examination of the crime scene.
    Last edited by heyyall; 10-12-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast