mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Used 2012 Giant Trance 3...good price?

Hi,

I found on Craigs list, a 2012 Giant Trance. Lightly used one season. He is asking $1400. I was thinking offering $1200. Is that a good deal?
    The only weak component for me would be the Avid Elixer 1 breaks. Thanks
    Trance X3 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I think 12 is good but definitely shoot for $1k. Go see t with cash in hand and he may do 1 for sure. Not worth 14 in my opinion but 12 is fair as well. Depending where you are 26ers may be hard to sell which means you should have no problem getting it for 1even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, FS 26ers still have some demand around here. Especailly for the technical trails we have. 26 HTs are dead here except for low quality ones that are being sold to kids. Seller says he wants to buy a road bike, but I think he may be looking at 29ers. Hmmmmmmmm

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Seller says these are upgrades??

Seller stated he was willing to take $1200 cash. He mentioned that the bike also has Kendra Nevegal Stick E tires and a Stump Grinder that replaced the third ring with a guard, so it's now a 2x10 drivetrain. 24x32, not sure I like that. I would prefer 24x36. Not sure if these upgrades are upgrades. Comments??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2x10 3x9 1x9 is all personal preference man. Main thing is checked the frame for cracks, check that you can add/remove pressure in suspension and adjust any controls. Rebuilding gets expensive so you want that in good shape.

There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

By the way I have a 2012 trance x4 that I bought and upgraded over time to a spec list better than what you get for the x2. The trance is my favorite bike so far. Perfect enduro steed. Easy on the climbs and rocks te downs. I don't even mind the road riding I do to get to our rogue urban trails. You won't regret it.

I even like it more than the trance 29ers I demoed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    By the way I have a 2012 trance x4 that I bought and upgraded over time to a spec list better than what you get for the x2. The trance is my favorite bike so far. Perfect enduro steed. Easy on the climbs and rocks te downs. I don't even mind the road riding I do to get to our rogue urban trails. You won't regret it.

I even like it more than the trance 29ers I demoed.

Thanks, do you think 24x32 is sufficient drivetrain for single trails, some technical, moderate downhills and uphills? People seem to prefer 24x36 for double drivetrains.

Thanks
    Last edited by Trek13; 06-25-2013 at 06:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

On my 2x9 I use 22/36 up front so I have a notch more top end. The back is an 11-34 cassette

You should be fine but at some point I say go with 24-36 and that's paired with an 11-36 in the back. The 24/36 will be similar to my 22/34.

Ride what's on there and replace as needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

By the way. You're going to friggin LOVE the trance... I have almost two years on mine, an enduro, and multiple Xc races on it. It's served me well for all applications. Ill ride from home on 4 miles of road to get to my rogue urban trails then when sundown hits ill ride road home. Yea it sucks to ride road on knobs but I buy cheap tires so don't care if they wear a tad quicker. The climbing and downhills are equally as fun on this steed.

In the process of trying to trade my 120 fork for a 140

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    By the way. You're going to friggin LOVE the trance... I have almost two years on mine, an enduro, and multiple Xc races on it. It's served me well for all applications. Ill ride from home on 4 miles of road to get to my rogue urban trails then when sundown hits ill ride road home. Yea it sucks to ride road on knobs but I buy cheap tires so don't care if they wear a tad quicker. The climbing and downhills are equally as fun on this steed.

In the process of trying to trade my 120 fork for a 140

Thanks, I decided to pass on that deal. I would rather buy new and support my local BS. I think I'm also leaning toward 29ers now with the Trance X 29er 2 being one of them. Components aren't the best, but good enough for a beginner to last a couple of years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
    Thanks, I decided to pass on that deal. I would rather buy new and support my local BS. I think I'm also leaning toward 29ers now with the Trance X 29er 2 being one of them. Components aren't the best, but good enough for a beginner to last a couple of years.
    What do you guys think a used 2013 Trance X2 29er should go for? Found one on Craigslist with 100 miles supposedly. Was looking at an Airborne Hobgoblin but not sure...