mtbr member
    Mar 2007

used '06 Anthem 2 v 2012 Trance x4 new

My brother is potentially going to sell me his '06 Anthem (he wants to get a bike with longer travel).

The bike is in relatively good condition. They cost 1,800 new in the UK, he has serviced the shock (Manitou I think) at least once and the upgrades he has done in the last few years are below:

Hope brakes/rotors
    Thomson Stem (this year)
    Easton Monkey Bar (this year)
    Rock Shox Reba 100mm forks w/lockout (very little use, but used in the French Alps this year :cry
    New wheel set (DT Swiss) with Hope hubs

The basic original spec is below:

Frame: Giant Anthem ALUXX butted aluminum red anodized
    Bottom Bracket: Race Face Evolve XC X-Type
    Brakeset: Shimano Deore XT
    Chain: SRAM PC990
    Crankset: Race Face Evolve XC X-Type
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
    Handlebar: Easton EA50 XC
    Handlebar Stem: Easton EA50
    Hub Front: DT Cerit disc
    Hub Rear: DT Cerit disc
    Cassette: SRAM 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
    Rear Shock: Manitou S-Type SRL, 3.5" travel
    Rim Front: Mavic XC717
    Rim Rear: Mavic XC717

What is a fair price?

Also, it is a 22inch XL frame and I am 6 ft 2. Would it be massive for me - would a shorter stem/wide bars help sort this or make the handling crazy? I currently ride a 115mm 21inch hard tail, which I aim to keep as a winter bike (currently 100m stem, same 685 mm bar width).

Also, can the fork travel be made 120mm at first service by removing the spacer? I did this with my '07 100mm Reba to make them 115mm.

I ride mostly trails that I have for the main part managed ok on my hardtail.

Would I be better to go for a used deal or buy a lower spec, longer travel bike, or a cheaper but older, higher spec bike? I have heard Anthems are very capable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I meant to say on the pricing that 1,800 is around $2,300 to $3,000 dependent upon exchange rate. Someone on a UK based forum suggested that I shoul not pay more than 400, another maybe 500 with upgrades. For comparison a UK 2011 new Trance X4 can be had for around 1000, say maybe $1,500.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bump - anyone got any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    As you can see from one of the above threads I have ditched the idea f buying my bro's bike used and have opted for a Trance X. Excited...