mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Upgrading an 08 Rincon(?)

I originally got my Rincon 2 weeks ago for commuting. Since then I've met some great people at my LBS that have gotten me interested in hitting the local trails with them. I've already bought a couple of upgrades as far as comfort (WTB Speed Pro Gel, Ergon GX-1, and Hemisphere Armadillos for my commuting), now I'm wondering if I should shell out more money for other upgrades. Namely:
    Marzocchi MZ Supercomp
    Mavic Crossride Disc Wheelset
    Next SL Carbon Seatpost
    Next SL Carbon Handlebar
    Split-Second 50mm Zero Degree Stem

I've heard the stock fork should be upgraded so that's at the top of my list. Shedding some weight off the rotational weight and going faster would be nice so the wheelset is tied for first. Super knobby tires would also pair the new wheelset. The other parts I listed are just icing on the cake to take some weight off (I never thought that 30 lbs would be heavy!). Am I on the right path or should I change the way I'm thinking and save up for another bike? Even though I was assured by several LBS that the Rincon is a respectable frame I don't wanna be the guy with a hooked-up Civic ('cause at the end of the day its still a Honda).

Sorry for the long post but I really appreciate any and all advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i bought a 08 rincon a few months ago and love the bike. its heavy but takes the abuse well. first thing i did was swap forks after a week, and this was my first mtb. i had a rock shox dart 3 which i liked till it blew out, now have a rock shox tora which i like even better. i went with wellgo platforms, and oury lock ons. it rides nice the tires kick ass and its a cheap bike that looks killer (imo). it is still a cheap hard tail, but like i said it trail rides real nice on the single tracks once you learn how it likes to be riden.
    '99 Giant XTC DS2 - Sold
    '08 Giant Rincon

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8812/dsc00541fr5.jpg

Think Circles!
    Alt.
    I'm doing the same thing right now and I would recommend that you save up and buy a better bike before you dump a lot into your rincon. Look at the cost of all those parts plus shipping and your time to install and trouble shoot in some cases. then look at how much you could get for that rincon and apply that to the cost you would have incured with upgrading. You may find that you could afford a good used FS bike!

If you do decide to keep the bike don't worry too much about spending the $$ to shave weight, you will get stronger but the parts that need upgrading won't

If you decide to do upgrades, start with the fork... the one that is on it is junk for sure, I get nervous riding off the curb out front haha. Watch ebay and craigslist for a good used one.
    I also like the feel of hydro brakes so i just scored a set of Juicy 5's for a hundred bucks! great price and great brakes.
    I would then consider shifters and an upgraded crank.
    Save the wheel set for after you destroy the ones you have, same for the derailers IMO.
    Then save the carbon parts as the icing on the cake.

By starting on a heavier bike you will apprecieate the lighter a lot more when you get it.

my.02

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I decided to keep it low budget. All I've done so far is change the handlebar, stem, seatpost (all RaceFace Deus), lighter platform pedals, and lighter Kenda KwikRoller tires. The change is amazing!
    I'm going to do a single-speed conversion next and then a new fork. After that I hope the mod bug won't bite for a while.

ACT, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by ALT1MATE
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I decided to keep it low budget. All I've done so far is change the handlebar, stem, seatpost (all RaceFace Deus), lighter platform pedals, and lighter Kenda KwikRoller tires. The change is amazing!
    I'm going to do a single-speed conversion next and then a new fork. After that I hope the mod bug won't bite for a while.
    I work in a security industry where we actually have a fleet of about 16 Giant Rincons. each of the bikes is expected to do about 100km's/day (approx 60 miles). We have had some of the bikes for up to three years with many thousand km's on them.
    Generally the frames cope fairly well, we have had a number break early though. The standard forks are always a problem for us, as is the drive train starting with the cranks. we have had continual issues with the cranks and found the only way to solve this was to upgrade the cranks to a higher spec unit. with age we find that the deraileurs have a hard time holding their tune and require constant adjustments.
    To get a Rincon ready for semi-serious off road riding (without the thought of racing it) from my experience, I would be looking at replacing the following parts;
    Forks (32mm dia minimum), brakes (to hydraulic), cranks (w/external B/B), pedals, and both front/rear deraileurs.
    Things like rim's and hubs I would run into the ground prior to buying good quality items. This is just my opinion and by no means am I rubbishing the Rincon (after seeing the abuse that our work bikes continually cop, I was sold on the frame strength and now have a stable of three Giants = 2007 Trance 1, 2006 Giant Alias that has been extensively modified and a Giant NRS).

When you look at it, there is possibly better options out there such as upgrading your whole bike and it may work out alot cheaper in the end. But we all get attached to our bikes and sometimes we like the thought of a little work on an old friend.
    I hope this helps and as I said, it's just my humble opinion based on what I have personally experienced with the Giant Rincon.

Enjoy the ride!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just bought an 08 Rincon. I weigh about 130 do I or should I looking into replacing the fork? I would like to get the bike lighter where should I start?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can replace the fork and save yourself 1-2 lbs. Replacing the wheelset would also shave off 1-2 lbs. But these options are costly and could run the risk of costing more than the price of the bike. For example, to get a sub-4 lb. fork would be in the range of $400. I would first start with getting lighter tires and pedals. Definitely do rotational weight first so you can really feel the difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    if you want to spend the money, get new rims/tires. they are pretty heavy but me i like the double wall rim and beefy tires but then again i have almost 100 pounds on you. you could do the usual bars, seat, seat post, brakes, stem, pedals to shave a little. mine weights in right under 35 now
    '99 Giant XTC DS2 - Sold
    '08 Giant Rincon

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8812/dsc00541fr5.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.