mtbr member

Upgrades for Giant

Hi, I am in the process of upgrading nearly everything from the frame up on my 2005 Giant Boulder SE. For those wondering why didn't I just buy a better bike was that I purchased the Boulder SE when funds were a little tight that situation has changed a little.

On my purchase list over the next 2 months is a new fork, new drivetrain,
    wheelset, and possibly brakes. Online I found a combo kit for a SRAM X.9 components including:

Shifters
    Evolve XC Crankset
    X9 Trigger shifters
    X9 rear der.
    X-gen front der.
    970 cassette 9 spd.
    pc 69 chain

for about $320 USD. I am looking at getting some new brakes, Avid Single Digit 7, probably. I am also interested in the Rock Shox Tora 302 or 318 fork or any other comparable fork that would be in the same price range of $200-300 USD.
    The question is, what do you recommend for first upgrades? I am leaning towards doing the drivetrain and getting it into the shop for a tuneup to beat the spring rush, but what do you all think?

Freshly Fujified

Drivetrain upgrade

The upgrade you suggest makes sense. Fork would be the next upgrade, IMO. You're in a catch-22 that many of us have found ourselves in when we bought our first bikes. I bought a Giant Warp, and quickly sank a bunch of money into upgrades. I now no longer own the Warp, but I have taken all the upgraded components and put them on a much better frame. This can get costly, so ask yourself if it would be better to sell off the Boulder and buy a whole new hardtail. Chances are, with the money you get from the Boulder, and the money you will have spent on the drivetrain, brakes and fork, you will be able to buy another hardtail with better components for the same price.

I realize that money situations dictate these decisions, and that it might not be feasible to do so, but I thought I would toss out the idea. Certainly nothing wrong with you upgrading the Boulder if that's what must be done. You've spec'd out a nice drivetrain and fork, IMO.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

There's no app for this.

what Clyde said and

do some math: SRAM parts @ $320 plus a fork at $300 = $620 + shipping, taxes, and installation (Disc brakes need the bike frame and fork to be "faced" )that is, made 100% flat and at 90 degrees for proper mounting and functionality.

You can get a new Giant Rainier for that kind of dough, ready made.

Save up, don't be impatient, ride and enjoy whatcha got. You won't regret it long term.

Locals here often say when faced with just a fork upgrade, a new bike is a better, less costly route to take.

Just my .02, Jim

Freshly Fujified

Understandable

Quote Originally Posted by crawli02
    Thanks for the replies. I thought about going with a Rainier, but while I really like the new frame on the 06 model, it doesn't really have the component group that I am looking for. The 06 went back to Shimano Deore for the drivetrain and I would like to go with SRAM. The 05 model might be a possibility if I can find one in my frame size.
    I will be sticking with V brakes; it's quite dry around here most of the time, and I like the modulation of V brakes. The ppl down at the LBS like the Tora 302 and 318 forks from Rock Shox, and the price is really good IMO at < $300. I agree that the frame will be the weakest link on the bike, but unless I am mistaken, the frame very similar as on the 05 Rainier, if not identical. Later on, I could move the parts to a new frame as well. Anyway, I will be putting in about 700-800 into it, but I think the end result will be awesome.
    The end result of the upgrades will be a fine hardtail. best wishes in the new build.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I thought about going with a Rainier, but while I really like the new frame on the 06 model, it doesn't really have the component group that I am looking for. The 06 went back to Shimano Deore for the drivetrain and I would like to go with SRAM. The 05 model might be a possibility if I can find one in my frame size.
    I will be sticking with V brakes; it's quite dry around here most of the time, and I like the modulation of V brakes. The ppl down at the LBS like the Tora 302 and 318 forks from Rock Shox, and the price is really good IMO at < $300. I agree that the frame will be the weakest link on the bike, but unless I am mistaken, the frame very similar as on the 05 Rainier, if not identical. Later on, I could move the parts to a new frame as well. Anyway, I will be putting in about 700-800 into it, but I think the end result will be awesome.

There's no app for this.

I dunno....

the Rainier is $700 list. Get the LBS to swap the Shimano stuff for SRAM triggers and rear dérailleur. The Marz. MX fork is proven Italian boing; the Rock Shox co. is struggling with new lines to come back from yet another near-death bankruptcy experience. BTW SRAM owns them now.

IMHO sell the Boulder for say $300, now you get a new rainier for $400 LIST!

Avid discs modulate very nicely, check the brake FAQ in "brakes" and you'll note those that try them never go back to (1996's intro of) Vbrakes.

just my thoughts, but your call.

Best of luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    the Rainier is $700 list. Get the LBS to swap the Shimano stuff for SRAM triggers and rear dérailleur. The Marz. MX fork is proven Italian boing; the Rock Shox co. is struggling with new lines to come back from yet another near-death bankruptcy experience. BTW SRAM owns them now.

Avid discs modulate very nicely, check the brake FAQ in "brakes" and you'll note those that try them never go back to (1996's intro of) Vbrakes.

Best of luck, Jim

Well, I will be moving up to west WA later this year around the seattle area, so all my riding will be in the wet. Disc brakes would be awesome, and probably neccessary. It's too bad money is an object, I would trick out this bike I have now, keep it in UT for when I come to visit and buy a Giant Reign for up in WA.

It looks like it's time to chat with the LBS again and see what deals there are to be had.

Freshly Fujified

Canadien Rainier

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.

Best of luck, Jim
    Jim, the '06 spec on the Canadien Rainier is superior to the '06 US Rainier. They truly dumbed it down this year. I was floored when I saw it. if the OP lives in the US, his proposed path of upgrades is a better spec than the Rainier.

Bummer, eh?

Bob

There's no app for this.

I posted (and disc comments)

the American Rainier, Bob, FWIW. I haven't looked at the Cdn. one.

If the poster is moving to Seattle, 120 miles south of me, Vbrakes are commonly known as a cruel joke. Get discs. simple as that.

Cheers, Jim

smw
    pedal pusher
    [QUOTE=crawli02][FONT=Verdana]Hi, I am in the process of upgrading nearly everything from the frame up on my 2005 Giant Boulder SE. For those wondering why didn't I just buy a better bike was that I purchased the Boulder SE when funds were a little tight that situation has changed a little.

On my purchase list over the next 2 months is a new fork, new drivetrain,
    wheelset, and possibly brakes. Online I found a combo kit for a SRAM X.9 components including:

Shifters
    Evolve XC Crankset
    X9 Trigger shifters
    X9 rear der.
    X-gen front der.
    970 cassette 9 spd.
    pc 69 chain

Great list of upgrades, but Id suggest the Shimano XT cranks over the Race Face.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy