mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Upgrade from 2008 Trance 1 to 2011 Trance X2?

I'm considering upgrading my bike from 2008 Trance 1 to a newer 2011 Trance X2. My currently Trance is the old version with only 4.2 inch of rear travel. I am looking for some opinions on if its worth the upgrade?

Also, my bike is in great (almost like new) shape and has been used sparingly - but I am looking to ramp up my mountain biking this summer. The bike is stock with the exception of the rear shock being pushed. Any idea what a fair price for the bike would be - I wouldn't even know what to ask. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was in a similar position myself and upgraded from a 2008 trance X1 to a 2011 Trance X2. The 2011 X2 is a far superior bike the stiffer front and fork are huge improvement over the 2008.

With the 2008 X1 I felt that I was always bottoming out the fork. However with the 2011 X2 the fork and front end are much sturdier,however I became dissatisfied and ended up changing out the fork awith a 140mm Fox FiT. I felt the front end performance of the X2 was inferior to my XTC 29er1's front end stability. So yes the suspension and front are far superior to what you have on your Trance X1 but still not perfect, at least on the stock bike.

The main thing that sealed the deal for me was great pricing on the X2 and getting a good price for my X1. After upgrading the brakes on my X1 to Avid Elixir CR's I was able to get $1140 for the X1 and I also got a great deal on the X2,which helped quite a bit.

Aside from the fork I upgraded the brakes to Avid Code R's,a huge improvement over the stock brakes.

I think the decision to upgrade or not also depends on what kind of riding you're donig. If you're doing alot of cross country then the XTC1 29er may be a better bet,if you're riding down rock gardens the Reign 2 may be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you have a 4 year old bike that you have ridden only "sparingly?" Why bother upgrading? It is still a great bike- ride it until you find that it is holding you back. Unless money is no object, a 4 yr old bike, even if it is new, is not worth much compared to what you paid for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The big problem is that its too big - I was naive and never fitted right. I am 6'1 and riding an XL. I have never felt truly comfortable on it. I would like to switch into a Large.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The big problem is that its too big - I was naive and never fitted right. I am 6'1 and riding an XL. I have never felt truly comfortable on it. I would like to switch into a Large

That's interesting even though my 29er's are medium I ride a small Trance X although I changed out the stock stem to a larger stem, likewise my freeride bikes are medium. Sometimes it's nice to ride a slightly smaller bike because it feels more agile and flickable.