mtbr member

tubeless strip/valve for Anthem X Advanced 1 29er

Just bought this bike today. The wheels are 'tubeless compatible'. Should I have gotten the strips and valves included in the purchase (Giant's Web site shows that the wheels come with them: P-XCR 29er 1 WheelSystem (WheelSystems) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States).

davidcarson48
    Yup, the DT Swiss tubeless kit was in the box with the bike. Your LBS should hook up you up.

Your Best Friend
    Yes, it comes with a DT Swiss rim strip (don't use it, it's heavy and junk) and it also includes some Giant rim tape. Use the rim tape only, it works great and it's light. If your shop doesn't have it anymore or tries to charge you for it, find the local Rep and rat them out.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My 2013 Anthem X0 with P-XCR 29er 1 wheels came with the DT Swiss rim strips. I don't have a lot of faith in these rims strips though The Giant P-XC/S-XC Wheelset Thread - Page 9

mtbr member
    Actually, I'm new to tubeless...the instructions (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/backof...ss-Proline.pdf) say to use the tape and then the strip (which holds the valves). How would I use the valves without the strip? Is the Stan's kit better than the DTSwiss kit? If I got that, would I remove the tape, or leave the tape on and put the strip over it?

DFMBA.org

Re: tubeless strip/valve for Anthem X Advanced 1 29er

Stans usually advises to keep the factory rim strip in when using one of their tubeless strips.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Owner Epic Biking
    We have several bikes that we just used the tape without the red rim strip, and then just used the valve stems that came with the bike. It has worked perfect.
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I used the dt Swiss rim strips and double sided tape and it worked really well. It is a little fiddly but take your time and I think it gives a great seal.
    I don't see how you could use only the double sided tape.
    You could pay for Stan's rim strips but I don't see the need. I don't think Stan's yellow tape would be thick enough and would make inflation difficult.
    You could ghetto them with Gorilla tape but this is not light either and I've always has mixed results doing this.
    Why is everyone knocking the dt Swiss rim strips?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I thought the set up was a little more involved vs using the Stans rim strip, but the tires aired up easier. It also seems quite a bit lighter than the Stans system.

Your Best Friend

We're knocking the DT Swiss rim strips because they are absolutely NOT necessary. Just extra rotational weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
    Why is everyone knocking the dt Swiss rim strips?
    My problems with the dt swiss rims strips are with the P-XCR 29er 1 wheels. I have tried racing ralph and UST crossmarks. They sealed up ok, but the tyres fall off the bead when the tyre is let down.
    I have used UST crossmarks on 26" Shimano and Bontrager UST rims. In both cases the tyres lock into the beads and take a reasonable amount of force to push off the bead when let down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    We're knocking the DT Swiss rim strips because they are absolutely NOT necessary. Just extra rotational weight.
    Have you weighed them? How do they compare to Stan's rim strips or 2 or 3 loops of Gorilla tape? I have a feeling they may be lighter. No, I didn't weigh them though.
    And I think there is more to tubeless than just weight. How about eases of inflation and tyre(tire) security?

Your Best Friend

You're missing what I'm saying and responding to. You do NOT need the DT Swiss rim strips because the wheels we are talking about also include tape in the kit. Use the tape exclusively, don't use them together. This equals the extra weight I am talking about. BTW the Gorilla tape method is by far the heaviest as it isn't designed for this application.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The only adhesive tape that came with my wheels, was the double sided tape intended for attaching and sealing the DT Swiss tubeless rim strips. Considering the tyres are too loose on the rims with the double sided tape and the rim strip, it could only be worse without the rim strips. That is with the P-XCR 29er 1 wheels, I don't know about the P-XC wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

As with dkselw my pxcr1 wheel set came with valves, two rolls of double sided tape and two dt Swiss rim strips. It had some rim tape already covering the spoke holes, but they wouldn't be good enough to be air tight.
    A mate did use Stan's yellow tape only with success but I think the rim strips add some security as it tightens up the bead quite a bit.
    Anyway, I guess my point is the dt Swiss rim strips can be used successfully. They cost me nothing and worked first time and inflated easily with a floor pump.
    I haven't always been so successful using various tapes or Stan's rim strips. The only easier set up I have used was ust tires on ust rims.

Owner Epic Biking
    Both silentfoe and are running the wheels using only the double sided sticky tape, and the stock Schwalbe tires. We ride some nasty rocky trails and have never had problems with losing the bead while riding. Also we have been riding fat bikes in the snow the last couple months, but yesterday we both rode the Anthems home after work and they still had good air pressure. The double sided sticky tape works great at sealing the spoke holes. Yes adding the red strip can make the tires fit tighter, but that hasn't been an issue for us, and it saves a fair amount of rotating weight to leave them out.

Kind of reminds me of that plastic spoke protector behind the cassette. It can keep your chain from hitting your spokes, but I like how my bike works better without it.
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member

I watched my shop use the 2-sided tape and red rim strip. The red rim strip was very tight but both tires seated instantly and have held air. I'm not sure if this was the right or wrong way - but it is working fine so far and was super easy to inflate and seat the beads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
    As with dkselw my pxcr1 wheel set came with valves, two rolls of double sided tape and two dt Swiss rim strips. It had some rim tape already covering the spoke holes, but they wouldn't be good enough to be air tight.
    A mate did use Stan's yellow tape only with success but I think the rim strips add some security as it tightens up the bead quite a bit.
    Anyway, I guess my point is the dt Swiss rim strips can be used successfully. They cost me nothing and worked first time and inflated easily with a floor pump.
    I haven't always been so successful using various tapes or Stan's rim strips. The only easier set up I have used was ust tires on ust rims.
    Ok I'm not a fan of these strips or the double sided tape any more. Sure they are easy to set up and tyres inflate easily but when you need to change tyres it gets messy. I pulled a RR off and it was just a mess in there. The strips had moved and the double sided tape was either stuck to the tyre or contaminated from the Stan's fluid. So I pulled it all out and stuck on 2 laps of gorilla tape which cost me about $5 to do 2 wheels. I used a bit if silicon sealer on the valves and all seems to be working ok. The tyres were a little harder to inflate and one required the compressor. Maybe 3 layers of tape would have been heavier but I think that would be heavier than the rim strips. I fitted a set of Continental X-King 2.2 Protection series tyres. They are a bit heavier than I would like but very strong and zero leaks from anywhere, unlike the Racing Ralph's which take days to seal.
    I may try Conti's RaceSport X-Kings next.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a bike coming with this wheel system and I was wondering if you are to only use UST tires with these rims when you run them tubeless? I have a Stans wheelset with Arch rims and I have used UST tires, non-UST and Geax's TNT tires with success.

Will I be able to run the Giant wheels in a similar way or should I ditch the wheels for a wheelset built with Stan's Arch rims?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I have run tubeless ready Racing Ralph's and protection series X-Kings. These are not ust tyres and work fine.