mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trying to make Anthem X1 "pretend" it's a Trance or All Mountain?

xpost from All Mountain:

One of my bikes is a 2011 giant anthem x1 26er with a 650b front wheel. Went 650b for a slightly slacker HA and for the positive benefits of the tire and wheel size. Truth be known I don't ride it as much since getting the carbon 29er HT 1x10 because most of the trails in town are smooth fast nontechnical with lots of climbing. At time of the X1 purchase I thought my bad back couldn't tolerate a HT but it's doing great and the 4" FS is now a loaner bike. But out of town are "real" mtb trails with rocks, roots and all the fun stuff, hence the desire to get a bike more applicable (translation: I like buying bike parts and tinkering) without having to plunk down $$$$ for a new 5 or 6 inch travel heavier bike.

With my current setup it is a great xc bike yet I was thinking of making the x1 into a "burlier" AM via a 120 fork (Talas 120-95?), a dropper post and/or an Angleset. I would like to keep the 650 b front wheel and was wondering if it would be an issue running the aforementioned options. I don't plan to drop or huck but was looking for a relatively slack head angle while still maintaining a lively xc feel in terms of weight and pedal action.

Or has anyone to attempted something like this with their Anthem and found it to be a bandaid fix at best vs a dedicated longer travel slack head angle am bike like a Trance or Reign?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've put 120 forks on all my previous 100mm bikes accept my AX1 29er. I wouldn't even bother with a Talas. Just use a F32 or Float.Can't see a problem even with 650B. Just comes down to your tolerance for slack bikes. You soon adapt. You could try and get a G2 offset GF fork. IMHO ideal trail bike head angle for 650B is 69 degree head angle. A 650B front is a good match for my Trance x. I have run them on 66 degree but for a trail bike I like the versatility of 69 degree + 650B.

Pity there isn't a longer shock option to fit like you can with a Trance X.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    I've put 120 forks on all my previous 100mm bikes accept my AX1 29er. I wouldn't even bother with a Talas. Just use a F32 or Float.Can't see a problem even with 650B. Just comes down to your tolerance for slack bikes. You soon adapt. You could try and get a G2 offset GF fork. IMHO ideal trail bike head angle for 650B is 69 degree head angle. A 650B front is a good match for my Trance x. I have run them on 66 degree but for a trail bike I like the versatility of 69 degree + 650B.

Pity there isn't a longer shock option to fit like you can with a Trance X.
    all of them except the 29er?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    All of them what? I didn't know any others could fit a longer shock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just put a 120mm fork on my 09 anthem x1. While I appreciate the slacker angle and extra travel now, its not a game changer on its own. I still run a 26" front wheel, but put a 180mm disc on, and love that. Biggest difference I feel is the 15mm axle over the 9mm. I have more confidence in the steeper gnarlier stuff, and think it comes from the combination of the travel, 15mm axle and slacker head angle. you already have the 15mm axle I assume(?), so you would probably feel slightly less difference. But then with a 650b front wheel...dunno, never tried it!

mtbr member
    how much more rear travel can you get with a longer shox on the trance x?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, done deal. Now the 2011 Anthem X1 26er, which has been collecting dust, has a 120mm fork and 650b front wheel. With my 29er carbon HT 1x10 taking the role of the lightweight XC option I found the Anthem kind of in no-man's land for my needs: XC geometry but without the light weight or pedaling efficiency on our mostly smooth non-technical trails vs the carbon HT's 19 pounds. A sub 25 pound X1 (had some lightweight parts, Stan's wheels, etc) feels light until I pick up the carbon bike. Apples to oranges of course.

With the 120 fork and Stan's Crest 650b wheel it's a much more stable, comfortable and not-as-nervous on high speed corners & over the brief sections of rocks. I have several 29ers and know my riding is better in some trails with a 26er so I wanted to keep the smaller wheels in the garage as an option and for variety.

Put on a 90mm stem laying around the garage, adjusted sag a little both ends and now the rear is a great pedaling 4" Anthem and the front is a slacker 5" (probably not since the 100mm never got full travel) with a 680mm carbon riser, meatier tubeless tires and a 12-27 road bike cassette turning the otherwise useless 3x10 into a poor man's 2x10 with a big ring to truly haul butt on fast fireroads. It's also further away from the 29er HT in terms of a steep angle race bike feel and fulfills the role of a trail or all-mountain for my long rides in rocky rough nasty areas out of town.

Hindsight: Knowing what I know now and having the bikes which came after the Anthem X1 purchase I probably would have purchased another Ibis Mojo and went full 650B, but that would've been a spendy option since the X1 was bought on season-ending sale. I feel the 120/650b Anthem X1 26er will be a great trail bike without a weight or financial penalty all things considered.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    way to go. innovation is what keeps everything moving forward. Sounds like you have a great bike!