mtbr member
    May 2008

trancex1 or reign 1

hey fella's, lookin at buying my first FS bike, coming from a talon. i can't quiet decide on the trance x1 or the reign 1. i want a bike thats going to do it all. and am not sure if i want 5 inch travel of the trance or the 6 inch of the reign. i would like to do a fair bit of downhill and xc. only thing im worried about on the reign is the juicy 3's.

just need to hear other peoples opinions on these bikes to help make my mind up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sounds like the R1 may be more to your liking. Now the hard part , upgrades. 1. J3's = crapola imho , change them to something else. 2. The bike feels best with a thru axle fork at either 140mm ( rs pike ) or even better at 160mm ( fox 36 float , van , talas , rs lyrik , majura wotan ) , but that means a new front wheel/or wheelset w/20mm hub.

Or if you can wait ? until the 09 stock comes around they will probably be specced with the new ethru 15mm front hub's/fork combo

Or go frame only and build it how you like.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yea i was gonna upgrade the j3's to some xt's, juicy 7's or strokers. I was thinking of waiting for the 09 stock depending on how long the wait is. i wont be changing the fork for awhile, dont have that much cash lying around atm.

mtbr member
    I have ridden both bike recently and if you want a bike that is going to do everything then go with the Trance X. The Reign is a great all mountain bike but its not the most fun climbing with. The Trance X is as close as you are going to get for a do it all bike.

2 minutes turkish
    My reign 1 came with stroker trails.

I agree with rydog:
    The reign is more of an aggressive all mountain rig. although they did spec it pretty light. I have been beefing it up as I go. But i will say, a flick of the pro-pedal switch changes it into a pretty good climber

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i feel like the reign is an overbuilt XC bike. Where the trance X is just a long travel XC bike. If you want XC but to throw in some more agressive stuff, get the reign. If you want XC with a little more travel to handle things when it gets a little rough, get a trance X

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I've been looking at a Reign lately too. One thing I've read about is the shock size for the Trance X isn't standard. It's a 1.75 stroke vs. the Reigns more common 2 inch stroke.

I picked up a Reign 1 and pedaled it around on a short demo trail and was very impressed with it's qualitys. There didn't seem to be a huge difference between the 2 so I would pick the Reign.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Climbing with the reign is fine , granted you wont get to the top as quick as the trancex , but you will get there , plus the downs will be more fun

Eric at ITSA Bike Shop
    Sep 2007
    Both bikes climb well. LIke everyone here has said, the Trance X does climb better and the Reign descends better. Depends on your cup of tea and how aggressive you are downhill. Either way, both bikes are awesome and you'll probably be happy with either. Coming from a hardtail, you'll probably be happier on the Trance X and it's different enough to be a truly different ride. I'd honestly suggest the Trance X over the Reign for you, but if you were an experienced dually owner, I'd definitely suggest the Reign moreso. You're pick. You win either way.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ewiccami
    Both bikes climb well. LIke everyone here has said, the Trance X does climb better and the Reign descends better. Depends on your cup of tea and how aggressive you are downhill. Either way, both bikes are awesome and you'll probably be happy with either. Coming from a hardtail, you'll probably be happier on the Trance X and it's different enough to be a truly different ride. I'd honestly suggest the Trance X over the Reign for you, but if you were an experienced dually owner, I'd definitely suggest the Reign moreso. You're pick. You win either way.
    Makes sense to me, plus the trance x has better gear on it. Also Locustfist its the Australian spec bike, which means lower end components. Thanks for the quick reply's, now all i have to wait for is my tax return.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    the reign is more of a "single bike quiver" and the trance X is more of a "i'll have a long travel XC bike and i'll get a more aggressive bike if I find myself wanting to ride more aggressively"