Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trance x4 small upgrades?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ooctrl 
#1 ·
So I just recently got a Trance x4 and I'm loving it, but after a few rides I already know a few things I want to change out. First thing is the pedals, the ones that come stock work but I've already had a couple instances where my feet have slipped off so I'm looking for some new ones. What pedals do you guys use with yours or what would you recommend? Second is the grips, what do you use? Those are the two biggies that I can think of right off the bat.. is there anything else you would suggest to change out/upgrade? Oh, I ride single track track with small jumps, climbs descents, etc.

#2 ·
Hey blizzard84, I have the same bike. I got it at the end of June. So far I have destroyed the rear tire. The DTC Nevegal just starting peeling off nobs. I had the handlebars cut about a 1/2 inch on both ends. I had the seat tube cut because it was so long. The Pedals are junk. I had to ride them as well because I am rebuilding a pair of DMR V8 pedals. I've slipped off a few times and the right side pedal has already developed some slop.

I've also changed out the RD and shifters to an SRAM X9 group that I had from another bike, and I changed out the grips to ODI Rogue's. Finally, I am now running a Conti Mountain King in the rear, and I am running a Maxxis Ardent in the front. I want to change out the crank set as the stock one just isn't stiff enough for how I ride.

It may sound like I am bashing a little here, but I love this bike. Now that I've made the bike a little more my own with a few changes, I like it even more. Good luck with yours going forward.

#3 ·
hey, thanks for the reply ooctrl.. trust me, I know you're not bashing the bike, it really is a good bike but it just needs some stuff replaced so it can be used to its full potential! I like the suggestions and will look into them.. probably do one thing at a time. thanks again!

#4 ·
One thing I've noticed on this bike, and keep this in mind, for me every little change made a noticeable difference in the handling of the bike. I made one change at a time as well, and then took a ride to see if I could feel the difference. It was amazing to me how one small change made so much difference. This is the only bike where I've noticed it so much.

The biggest improvement for me overall was the handlebar trim. The bars were a little wide for where I ride most of the time, and I kept catching them in tight spots on a tree or a rock. Also in really fast sections, I found that I was ending up to far outside on the turns because the bike wasn't turning as fast as I was used to on my old bike. After the trim, I have had hardly any handlebar hits and much better turning and control through the fast sections.

#5 ·
That's pretty cool.. I'm going to switch out the pedals and grips right away.. next thing after that is tires which I'm still looking at which ones to get. Once those three are done I'm not sure what I'm going to do after that, we'll see where it goes ;)

#6 ·
I have an '09 x3 and have done a bit of upgrading...

Is your's an '09 or '10? The '09 x4 came with the same cassette as mine, the Shimano HG-50. I have a second set of wheels that I use for more XC oriented riding and use the stock wheel setup for the rougher all mountain type stuff. On my XC setup I have a shimano XT 11-34 cassette and it improves shifting greatly (although much louder). The x3 comes with the SLX shadow RD... If you are into the weight weenie thing, it also sheds about 1/3#.

I have Schwalbe tires on the XC setup. The improved rolling resistance makes a HUGE difference, but I wouldn't want them if I didn't have the option of using my Nevegals for the aggressive stuff.

As far as grips, I use the dimension cork grips (have to cut the ends off to fit on the bars). They are great if you don't like to wear gloves. I use DMR v12 pedals with Ti axles... I think they are sweet, but differences between the pin type platforms are pretty much just durability and weight. Wellgo MG-1 platforms would probably be a great cheap alternative.

I have changed other parts with only marginal or unnoticeable improvements.

Let us know how it works out for you.

#7 ·
Thanks for the reply SkaPig. Mine is an '09. I've already ordered the grips and pedals and they should be here by Friday so I might be able to test them out this weekend. For the grips I decided to go with the ODI Rogue's because they seemed like they'll do what I want them to do. For the pedals I went with the Tioga MX Pro Pedal. I read a lot of good reviews on them so I'm going to give them a shot.

I'm still looking at tires, right now it's looking like the Continental Vertical Pro's but still haven't made a decision yet.

I'm also still pretty new to upgrading stuff on my own so I really appreciate all the input guys. I'm just going to keep doing little things here and there and hope they turn out for the best ;)

#8 ·
ooctrl said:
{snip} Finally, I am now running a Conti Mountain King in the rear, and I am running a Maxxis Ardent in the front. {snip}
Hey ooctrl - how are those tires working out for you in the NH or New England terrain? Have Nevegals on our Trance Xs and we don't like how the front kinda washes out easily on us, and they're the Stick-Es.

#9 ·
fda47 said:
Hey ooctrl - how are those tires working out for you in the NH or New England terrain? Have Nevegals on our Trance Xs and we don't like how the front kinda washes out easily on us, and they're the Stick-Es.
Hey fda47, I've seen a lot of posts by you and know that you and your son now both own Trance's. I got mine about two months ago myself. This is my third bike since I started riding in 2003. I liked the DTC Nevegal as far as grip in the rear, but I shredded the tire in no time and hated the slow rolling resistance. The Stick-E in the front was ok, but I had wash out issues at times as well. I think the Stick-E's will treat you a lot better moving forward in the fall when the leaves are down and the ground is less dry.

As far as the tires I have now, I really like the Continental Mountain King in the rear. It's only the 2.2 which is a little narrow, but it's a folding tire and the weight savings were huge as far as pedaling goes. It took a good half dozen rides to really brake that tire in and I didn't like it at first. It has good grip after its broken in well, and now I like it just fine. I'm thinking of getting the 2.4 version for the fall. The other tire, the Maxxis Ardent, is a really nice tire for these dry conditions we are in now. It's a large volume tire that you can run a little lower pressure on without fear of pinch flatting. The nobs are not as aggressive as a Nevegal, and it has a little bit of a sketchy transition from the center nobs to the edge nobs. You really have to trust the Ardent to run it correctly. It wants aggressive riding. It's fast when upright, and begs to be leaned over quickly on to the edge nobs.

As a side note, I'm saving my Stick-E for the fall. I also really like the look of the Panaracer Rampage. It's similar to the Nevegal, but I think the design will hold up a little better around the trails in NH, ME, and MA that I ride. I don't know if I really helped you here, but that's about all I know. In the past I always rode cheap $20 wire bead tires that I would ruin in one season. Now I understand what all this tire hoopla is about. Good luck with the bikes. They are a blast to ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.