mtbr member

Trance X3 or Anthem X3? Endurance racing and Trail Riding: Which is better?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at getting m first mountain bike (long time road racer).

I want to do some XC, and 6-24 hour endurance races, as well as just trail riding with some friends.

I live in PA, so trails are rocky, fast, and lots of rollers.

Has anyone done a marathon race with a Trance x?

I really like the Trance, and the extra 1" of suspension, but worried that it will hold me back when race season comes... it seems 4" is the sweet spot for XC race bikes.

My other concern about the Anthem is that it will limit me to what I can do on the trail (taking it off small drops, hammering on the down hills).

So,
    Anthem X3 (4" of travel), more XC oriented

or

Trance X3? (5" of travel), more trail oriented

Thanks for any info!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was trying to make the same decision as you until last week when I finally decided to order a Trance X2.
    I wanted to focus on the ride with freinds part over racing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just spent last weekend in Moab on my Anthem X. Saturday I "raced" (Here's a brief report from another participant.) for 90+ miles with ~30 other like-minded riders, connecting trails around the northern and western parts of the area. Sunday, a few of us rode up Sand Flats Rd. to Porcupine Rim where I hit all the drops--on a rear wheel with a broken spoke from the day before, and little Specialized FasTrak LK 2.0's--in high winds. Gusts were peaking at 60mph. The Anthem was very composed on everything: the big, chunky bits, the slow technical sections, the fast jumps. The Anthem X was the right platform for Saturday, and, admittedly, a compromise to space on top of the car for Sunday, but I think a Trance X would've been a compromise on both days.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Don't know if this helps but I recently went from a 2004 spec fsr 4 inch xc oriented bike to a 2008 trance x1. The trance x1 geometry is lots more comfy then my spec fsr bike was and I feel like I can ride it longer with less fatigue. This is also due to the extra inch of travel and plushness. If you are looking at doing endurance races the geometry of the trance x may prove to be more comfortable for you when on the bike for epic lenghts of time. Plus the extra inch of travel won't hurt either. Just my opinion, I haven't mised a lick going from a 4 to 5 inch bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I haven't ridden a Trance X, but I just completed the very rocky Cape Epic on my Anthem X. 5-6hrs in the saddle per day and i can't think of anything bad to say about the bike. It climbs well, it had no problem with rocky, technical, singletrack or any other kind of terrain. Just soaked it all up. No problem with throwing it off small drops (and I've thrown it off many), although I do only weigh 62kg.