mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Trance x29er 2 possible upgrades

Hi guys.. I'm currently 265lbs and dropping hopefully (wink). I'm looking to do some upgrades on my bike...where do u guys suggest I start. The bike is stock. More on me. I'm a beginner/intermediate rider...for those who know my trails of preference are Quiet waters, Markham and Amelia in south Florida...6'2 tall. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ditch the saddle unless you find it comfy. Charge spoon is a good bet and cheap. Wheels go for something wider stronger like Stans flow ex or pacenti tl28. Tires go with something with firmer sidewalls like spesh purgatorys setup tubeless to bring the weight down. Try a wider bar if you can increases control at speed and when things go a little sideways. Brakes are fine but if you need something with more power go slx or xt or up your rotor size.

Best free upgrade though would be to shed weight yourself and upgrade parts as they fail or aren't up to the task.

Your Best Friend
    Don't upgrade a thing. Ride it until things break and then replace them with something better.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have the same bike and ride central Florida! Things I have done were a shorter stem. Went with a 70 and wish I would have tried 50. I put a X9 rear derailleur....and replaced the front tire with a conti tk 2.2......great grip but it is heavy. Im 6ft 180lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have the Anthem 3 and I swapped everything except the frame and suspension. I swapped the wheels to SunRingle Charger Pro SL and went Tubeless. This was my last upgrade but should have been my 1st! Biggest noticable improvement. Get yourself either SunRingle wheels or Stans and go tubeless, you won't see a bigger change anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Don't upgrade a thing. Ride it until things break and then replace them with something better.

Bad advice.

Upgrade the fork to something better suited to your size and the intentions of the bike....

Waiting for the fork to break before replacing it is a very bad idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmouse View Post
    Ditch the saddle unless you find it comfy. Charge spoon is a good bet and cheap. Wheels go for something wider stronger like Stans flow ex or pacenti tl28. Tires go with something with firmer sidewalls like spesh purgatorys setup tubeless to bring the weight down. Try a wider bar if you can increases control at speed and when things go a little sideways. Brakes are fine but if you need something with more power go slx or xt or up your rotor size.

Best free upgrade though would be to shed weight yourself and upgrade parts as they fail or aren't up to the task.
    This is almost every upgrade I did. Charge spoon, flow wheels, xt brakes, pro taper dh bars, and internal routed dropper.