mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Trance x29er 1 - Type 2 mech dropping chain

Anyone dropping chains with the x1 type 2 derailleur combo? Started happening quite regularly after about 2 months of riding.

I have checked the sizing of the chain with the shock fully depressed and big chainring to big cassette cog.

Not sure if my derailleur is stuffed? If I pick the back wheel up and drop it, the chain drops off the bottom of the big chainring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hasn't happened to me yet. I'm loving the type 2 - no chain slap to speak of and I'm not even running a chainstay protector anymore.

Space Ghost
    I have the X0 with Shimano Xt and have dropped the chain once. My brother has the X1 and drops the chain pretty frequently. I have had mine since August, he has had his since Jan. No insight to the cause. Competent LBS can't figure it out either. We are chalking it up to combined factors of mild cross chaining (big ring front with too big rear) with stress/flex (hard corning in tech sections).
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have 200 miles with no chain drops from my X1.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have about 10 rides on my x1, no drops. lots of roots, logs and ramps, no issues at all with the chain. I did drop the chain on the XO demo bike that i tested.

mtbr member
    Your clutch is on right? The Shimano type 2 has the on/off lever, on the XT it's pretty clear as lever sits right on the on mark. The Zee is less obvious as the lever position is not as we'll defined.

If a 1X10 would work for your trails, Wolf makes a nice ring that won't drop a chain even without a guide. I've been running this setup for a couple of months with no chain drop. Could be your fix if the gearing will work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Mine drops off everytime I hit big tables, the sram rear derailer is surpose to have a clutch but im not sold on it, on my reign 1 the shimano clutch is awesome and hasn't even looked like dropping a chain.

MTB B'dos
    Take it this isn't something that happened when you first got it I say check the chain for wear and check the rings also With m y '05 Trance with RF RideXC crankset I had this issue constantly, swapped to different brand rings and never happened again, switched to a new XT crankset, no issues either. Could be several things, but this would be my best guess, also just in case make sure you limit screws are set right and that you hanger isn't bent.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Got the bike end of feb... not sure how much wear there could be in a couple of months. Don't think that chain drop was an issue when I got the bike, so it might be the hanger has been banged out of alignment. LBS is insisting I bring it in as they can't believe that it's happening, must be some mechanical fault. I'll oblige and they can check that the hanger isn't bent as well as everything else.

DFMBA.org

Trance x29er 1 - Type 2 mech dropping chain

I had this issue with my X1 a lot the first couple months of ownership, and I was busting a chain a month. Anyhow, I took my bike into the shop for what I thought was routine adjustments, but it turned out to be more. Shifting was poor. The lead mechanic noticed a metal pin/screw missing from the rear x9 der. I have no idea what it's function is but the shop ended up swapping the whole der with one off the shelf (thanks Bicycles of Phoenix!). Since that replacement, I haven't dropped a chain. Makes me think there could have been a problem with the oem SRAM X9 rear ders now. Here's a pic of the pin on my new der.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

MTB B'dos
    Doesn't have to be worn, could be a manu defect, Shimano had that with a bunch of middle rings a while back and RF did on that crankset I had. Let the shop do their job and earn the money you paid them, if they can't solve it for you, then try seeing if you can yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by foocheck View Post
    Got the bike end of feb... not sure how much wear there could be in a couple of months. Don't think that chain drop was an issue when I got the bike, so it might be the hanger has been banged out of alignment. LBS is insisting I bring it in as they can't believe that it's happening, must be some mechanical fault. I'll oblige and they can check that the hanger isn't bent as well as everything else.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My bikes only 5 rides old, has been serviced by LBS but will get them check it again